The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
 
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 am
Posts: 3151
Likes: 290 posts
Liked in: 516 posts
Location: now Rabat Morocco
whats incorrect with this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Vintage-Breitling-Na ... 0734723679

general consensus is (or : a few are of the opinion) that :
Navitimers with a V72 mvmnt does not have 806 on the caseback
Casebacks cannot be swapped from one watch to another

so what gives with this one ?

_________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Breitling and Boats. The rest I wasted" - mostly Elmore Leonard


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:53 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 3147
Likes: 82 posts
Liked in: 333 posts
From Kurt's site;

"The movement they used in 1954, and the first half of 1955, was the famous Valjoux 72. In the beginning, it didn’t have a reference number printed on the back. It wasn't until 1955 that the reference number officially became 806. Nobody knows for certain how many Navitimers were produced with the Valjoux 72 movement , but it’s beyond any doubt that it was a very limited number, thus the Valjoux 72 Navitimer has become a kind of cult watch for Navitimer collectors all over the world."

So I guess we need to know what the serial number is to make a correct conclusion.

I will say I've bought a half dozen Breitling's from these guys and they've always been accurately described. Although I did win one Navitimer 806 for $1200 and they said they had made a mistake and it had been sold already. Hmm. Maybe, maybe not.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 am 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 51
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Quote:
I will say I've bought a half dozen Breitling's from these guys and they've always been accurately described.


Look the other offers of this seller: :lol: :lol: :lol: always been accurately described.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Breitling-Vintage-18 ... 19c821deec


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:39 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 3147
Likes: 82 posts
Liked in: 333 posts
schroeder wrote:
Quote:
I will say I've bought a half dozen Breitling's from these guys and they've always been accurately described.


Look the other offers of this seller: :lol: :lol: :lol: always been accurately described.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Breitling-Vintage-18 ... 19c821deec


Not the first Navitimer I've seen with 809 on the back. Looks accurately described to me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:44 am 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 51
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
and 18 Kt Gold is also accurately ? :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:48 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 3147
Likes: 82 posts
Liked in: 333 posts
schroeder wrote:
and 18 Kt Gold is also accurately ? :lol: :lol: :lol:


Common error on many Breitling descriptions.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:52 am 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 51
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Quote:
Common error on many Breitling descriptions.


nice comment

Ask yourself, what would you say about this watch if this watch was shown to us by a certain german person ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:30 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 pm
Posts: 3147
Likes: 82 posts
Liked in: 333 posts
schroeder wrote:
Quote:
Common error on many Breitling descriptions.


nice comment

Ask yourself, what would you say about this watch if this watch was shown to us by a certain german person ?


The same thing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:01 pm 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:11 am
Posts: 40
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 0 post
Location: Germany
Hey Phantom Schroeder,

I`m still waiting for your expert reply on this:

http://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v ... 11&t=16986


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:13 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:36 pm
Posts: 13372
Likes: 938 posts
Liked in: 1143 posts
Location: Vienna, Austria
edit: removed my comments, makes no sense to take notice of herr schroeder.


Last edited by WatchFred on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:13 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 am
Posts: 3151
Likes: 290 posts
Liked in: 516 posts
Location: now Rabat Morocco
<returning to the original post>

-: The case obviously belongs to a V72 watch , as the pushers are offset and a venus movement wouldnt fit this case
-: the dial with the slightly down turned wings points to a V72 Mvmnt
-: the small rice beads bezel is correct
-: hands are silver , not white , which seems correct

the 'fit ring' to make the Movement fit in the case is typical of an early Navitimer , but in this case its looks awfully new , remade or replaced maybe ?
and the case back of a 806 Navi with a 178 movement sacrificed to make it complete ?

if it had a caseback without 806 it would have been sold for the asking price already as its in a very acceptable condition. hell , I would have bought it already if it didnt have the 806 on the back :D

_________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Breitling and Boats. The rest I wasted" - mostly Elmore Leonard


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:05 am 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:04 am
Posts: 443
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 50 posts
Quote:
From Kurt's site;

"The movement they used in 1954, and the first half of 1955, was the famous Valjoux 72. In the beginning, it didn’t have a reference number printed on the back. It wasn't until 1955 that the reference number officially became 806. Nobody knows for certain how many Navitimers were produced with the Valjoux 72 movement , but it’s beyond any doubt that it was a very limited number, thus the Valjoux 72 Navitimer has become a kind of cult watch for Navitimer collectors all over the world.


May I correct you a little .........(it has nothing to do with the pictured watch)

Kurt B


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:13 am 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:04 am
Posts: 443
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 50 posts
Dracha wrote:
<returning to the original post>

-: The case obviously belongs to a V72 watch , as the pushers are offset and a venus movement wouldnt fit this case
-: the dial with the slightly down turned wings points to a V72 Mvmnt
-: the small rice beads bezel is correct
-: hands are silver , not white , which seems correct

the 'fit ring' to make the Movement fit in the case is typical of an early Navitimer , but in this case its looks awfully new , remade or replaced maybe ?
and the case back of a 806 Navi with a 178 movement sacrificed to make it complete ?

if it had a caseback without 806 it would have been sold for the asking price already as its in a very acceptable condition. hell , I would have bought it already if it didnt have the 806 on the back :D


The “fit ring” (just to stick to your description :shock: ) doesn’t look anymore new then the movement, they are both protected by the case back, hence no dirt.

What worries me the most is the heavy pitting to pusher / crown side of the case, it can be seen on the picture here below, it’s far from the best quality picture, and I’, sure that it’s worse then it looks on the picture.

Dial has some / a lot discoloration, especially on the outer edge, I have not yet seen an acceptable picture of it, and they won’t send me one without the crystal on, which adds to my suspicion, as they are pro watch dealers and can easily flip the crystal off and take a picture.

It is the 3rd one I have seen like this, and it’s obvious to me that they must have slipped through production back in the 50’s, so I’ll definitely call it 100% original.

It’s a 1955 dial, as the 2 others I have seen was; hence it makes sense, if it had been a 1954 dial I would have had my doubts.

I guess that this is the charm about these watches, new variations still show up, and we will never know anything for sure.

/ Kurt B


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:08 am 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 am
Posts: 3151
Likes: 290 posts
Liked in: 516 posts
Location: now Rabat Morocco
Hi Kurt ., whats the correct term for that 'fit ring' ??

Have you had any luck on finding the serial number ?

and thanks for sharing the updated article , I learn of new opinions and findings everytime

_________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Breitling and Boats. The rest I wasted" - mostly Elmore Leonard


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: V72 with 806 back ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:34 pm 
Offline
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:04 am
Posts: 443
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 50 posts
Dracha wrote:
Hi Kurt ., whats the correct term for that 'fit ring' ??

Have you had any luck on finding the serial number ?

and thanks for sharing the updated article , I learn of new opinions and findings everytime


"Fit ring" is fine with me, I don't have a better suggestion.

No serial number, but better pictures of the pitting, and it's bad, very bad.........


/ Kurt B


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
 


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group