The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:55 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have the SO Steelfish with the Professional II bracelet. Is there any way to buff out scratches on the brushed metal bracelet? I asked my AD the other day and they said they can only remove scratches on polished metal bracelets, not brushed metal. Anyone out there have another opinion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:01 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I've been told that some people use ink erasers (you know, the pink rather than white pencil eraser) to gently rub over 'damaged' areas on brushed steel/titanium bracelet...or alternately, a soft (ish) Dremel brush should do the trick - obviously don't move the bracelet around - only brush in one direction...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:29 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Another option is to use a small piece green kitchen/scouring pad or fine wire wool, being careful to go in the direction of the brushing (obviously!) and like Sportback said, without moving the watch around too much. If there are brushed parts next to polished, then you can use masking tape to mask off the polished bits, but either way go very careful! But if you go easy you can get great results.

(In fact I "refurbished" the scratch-happy clasp on an old Seamaster of mine using a green pad just before I part-ex'd it at my AD a couple of years back, and the woman who was examining it actually asked me if I had ever worn it!)

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:42 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Murray32,

Try the Cape Cod polishing cloths. You can order them from Amazon.com. Some of us here have used them on Admin's advice and we are all very happy with the results.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
acceldebt wrote:
Murray32,
Try the Cape Cod polishing cloths. You can order them from Amazon.com. Some of us here have used them on Admin's advice and we are all very happy with the results.

Not for brushed finishes Ling Man! Or are you trying to make the world a haven of polished steel only???

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Yeah.. don't use cape cods on a brushed finished or you'll end up with a polished finish... but it will still have remanants of the brushed finished beneath it.

Like Driver8 said, the Scotchbrite pads (as we call them out here) are great for re-brushing brushed bracelets. I use fingernail polishing blocks.. they are soft foam-backed blocks with fine sandpaper on them used for polishing fingernails for women.. these are good for brushed finishes as well and come in a few more different "grits".

paulb likes this post.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:55 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

What about those fiberglass pens. I have not used them but I think that this is what they are for. I see them on the bay every time search for Breitling pens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
My wife has some disposable nail files for buffing her nails. They are slightly abrasive and will return the brushed look to stainless steel in a few slight swipes. Some are shaped like popsicle sticks, the others are like blocks. Very handy if you don't like the polished look! They are a very, very fine grit!

~Brian

latif99 likes this post.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:29 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Driver8 wrote :

"Not for brushed finishes Ling Man! Or are you trying to make the world a haven of polished steel only???"

Driver 8,

Now you are catching on

:fulllingclub:

Post subject: Polishing scratches?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:08 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I have a 'Airwolf' which I am very happy with, the bracelet is solid, looks good & is robust. Sadly using it everyday doing daily inspection on the airframe of my helicopter the bracelet is getting a few scratches - What is the best method please for polishing these out? Obviously any deep scratches will be there forever, but the very light ones?? Thanks for any advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:14 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Deep scratches can be removed with a Dremel tool. You'll have to go back over it with a buffing file or other method.

~Brian

Post subject: Steel Bracelet scratches
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:06 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Iv'e found that if you use T-cut and a small damp chamois will do the trick.
It worked a treat on mine plus any satin/brushed finishes come up aswell.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:04 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I got my B55 about 15 days ago. On the first day, I got couple of scratches on the lug and bracelet and after 15 days, it looked like 20 year old watch... googling on how to remove scratches, I found many ways.. I decided to try a very simple way. I used a microfiber cloth stretched on the floor and put few drops of car wax and some elbow grease rubbing.. The results were amazing and I got 99.9% of the scratches off.
My problem is not removing the scratches, but actually getting them in the first place. I am surprised at paying almost 7000 Dollars for the watch and getting a scratch prone watch! The watch is amazing and it was my dream watch. In comparison, I have a Swiss Rado watch for almost 20 years that has ceramic watchband and sapphire glass, after 20 years, the watch still look like showroom condition although I wore it for many years day and night.
I guess my question is, are there any ceramic based bracelet bands that can fit the B55 including the curved end joining the watch? or if there are any protection that I can apply to protect from scratches? something like ceramic nano coating?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:34 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 16 posts
Minority opinion maybe - The only time I worry about scratches enough to try to buff them out is when:

A. I bought the watch used and want to get it looking closer to new before I wear it, or

B. I’m planning on selling it and want to get a few more bucks (I always disclose when I’ve done that)

To me, scratches and scuffs I put on a watch are part of the memories.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:42 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Henryj wrote:
Minority opinion maybe - The only time I worry about scratches enough to try to buff them out is when:

A. I bought the watch used and want to get it looking closer to new before I wear it, or

B. I’m planning on selling it and want to get a few more bucks (I always disclose when I’ve done that)

To me, scratches and scuffs I put on a watch are part of the memories.

:yeahthat
Polishing involves removing very small amount of metal from the watch. It might not be visible from the naked eye but if you are not skillful enough to apply the same amount of pressure during polish you can easily damage the shape of the watch, and if you do it too often overtime you will realize that the watch will lose its "sharpness" look. My suggestion is that if you are planning to keep the watch long term, there will be a time when you need to send the watch for an overhaul and polishing is part of the overhaul package. Let the experts do the job for you by then.