The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I just recently purchased my first Breitling - a Chronomat (Evo - even though they don't call it that anymore). The jeweler where I purchased the watch could not locate the documentation that came in the packaging and said they'd give me a call when they got everything together.

Note that I have no doubts about this watch's providence. The jeweler is a Breitling AD - they just happen to file documentation for watches in their showcase in a locked file separate from the actual packaging. I've dealt with this store numerous times before and they're very good. This is a simple case of misfiling.

Is there a list somewhere of all of the documents that should have come with the watch (e.g., warranty, chronometer certification, instruction manual, etc.) so I can make sure that everything is complete when I pick the paperwork up? While I haven't checked the watch case for a manufacture date, the bracelet is engraved with a February 2007 date. I'd guess that the watch was actually assembled around 2Q 2007.

I'm also thinking that it'd be only fair to ask for a refund of some type if any of the documentation is missing since the resale value of the piece will most likely be affected down the line. What do you think would be fair? Are some documents more 'valuable' than others, and if so, what would be a fair value? I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-$500 for any missing paperwork. The watch-specific warranty paperwork will not be missing, I do know that for sure. I'm also pretty sure that I got all of the actual packaging (e.g., jewel box, inner travel case/cushion, cardboard outer, etc.)

Just so you know when trying to answer the value question - the store already made a fair profit from me. I did not negotiate beyond the normal 15% discount from list since I love the watch so much and it was a total impulse buy (not to mention that the sales person has taken very good care of me over the years).

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
The only papers that are really important are the warranty, the cosc certificate and the manual. The COSC and warranty are the most difficult to replace since they are watch specific.

The AD should be giving you a complete set of papers with the watch, why are you doubting that they will? I would refuse the watch if there wasn't at least the three peices present. There are other papers such as the authorized distributors list. I highly doubt you will get $300-500 off for the missing paperwork since they can get reissues from Breitling probably for less money than that... but by all means, wring them for all they got :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:55 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You're talking ~£50 trade price each for new warranty booklets, COSC certs. and manuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:17 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Picked up the paperwork yesterday and it was just as I feared - the COSC certificate is missing. The dealer will mail replacements to me in the next couple of days. I'm not sure what happened - they're a very reputable dealer and have never given me problems in the past.

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the help on this board!