Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Opening a Breitling...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hey there! I guess I'm a bit of a nerd but I love the mechanical aspect of automatics... I want very much to open my superocean and look inside. Now I excpect that the superocean probably more than some of the other lings is especially hard to open due to the high waterproof rating. Anyone know how the heck to do open one of these things?? (Mind you its a 2000 so it has the newer case back with the 15 radii as appose to the slots.) Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Breitling AD's have those Dies that fit the backs and open them easily, but you can use one of those three-pronged opener things to open them - that's what some watchmakers use. They are not any tighter just because they are waterproofed to a higher depth I don't think... Just the case is thicker and stuff. That's just my understanding though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:17 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Interesting. So whats this three prong thing? And how does it work on the case backs without those slots? Where can one find this gismo? Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I can't help you with your questions on where to find the tools to open your Breitling, but what I would I say is go very careful if you decide to go ahead!

I apologise in advance if you're actually pretty experienced with watch movements and I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but if you aren't then I would probably not recommend starting your watch movement education on a shiny new Superocean. Firstly it's very easy to slip when opening a caseback, which can result in a very nasty scratch (or worse) across the back. Additionally I'm always very wary about getting dust or anything in the movement as they are assembled in very clean conditions at the factory.

I've also had experience in the past where a jeweller removed the caseback on an old Seiko of mine and managed to ruin the gasket when putting the back on, which led to water getting in and the movement seizing up..... Not good!

I've opened up much, much cheaper automatic watches before, but I personally wouldn't go near doing that with any of my Breitlings. (I'm sure others on here will say it's fine, but my advice would be to start on something much less costly).

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:20 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Sound advice. Thank you! I guess at this point, I'm not looking to work on them or anything, I'd just love to see the movement. Is there anyway you know of that would prevent scratching...iv heard people talk about rubber gloves or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I think he's talking about the case opener scratching the caseback if it slips or something, so rubber gloves would not help.

I personally think ur crazy opening the superocean, but the type of opener is called a "Jaxa" I think... good luck. There are plenty of pics of the movement in your Superocean online available if u just wanna see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:56 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yeh now that I look up thhe Jaxa tool...it doesn't seem possible to open it without scratching the caseback. You are probably right about this being a crazy idea. Its too bad theres no way to purchase the die that fits the back exactly...looking at pictures online is as you know nothing compared to the real thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:45 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I've always thought it would be cool to look into my SA but I am to scared of messing up my investment. Besides, don't the AD's do something to make sure they are as water resistant when the leave as they were before they worked on them? I would hate to think that they just screw the case back on and call it good. Any testing involved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:01 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I doubt that all ADs perform tests similar to the Breitling factory for waterproofing. Its a good question though. Does anyone know any trustworthy repair places in NYC for routine maintenance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

If you want to see a watch movement in person, buy a watch with a display back. It has a crystal caseback instead of steel. There are plenty around, some pretty reasonable. I have to agree with the concensus here. Don't open the SO. I'm not sure if that'll void the waranty, but why risk it on such an expensive watch? Don't do something that you'll regret.

:pcacborc:
:threequartslingclub:
Navitimer o1 LE
SuperOcean Steelfish
Bathys 100Fathoms Aquaculture
RXW MM20
RXW MM25
Seiko Sumo
Seiko Orange Monster
Movado series 800 diver
Thanks
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:45 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
I think he's talking about the case opener scratching the caseback if it slips or something, so rubber gloves would not help.

BTW, yes I was talking about the case opener slipping and scratching the caseback. Seen it happen, and it's a real "ohshit" moment!

Too much of a risk on a lovely SO.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

As most guys here advised you already.... don't do this at home!
It will void the warranty first of all, and you will scratch the case back, no question about it!
If you can, go to your AD that has an authorised watchmaker on staff, and ask if they can and will open it for you so you can peek, than they can close it professionaly and do the required pressure testing.
If they have an authorised watchmaker, they have the equipment.

Does this one have the Valjoux 7750? TagHeuer uses those with a see-through case back, and so does Hamilton (for +/- $850). Good luck!

Vanessa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:28 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
ETA 2892-2

Don't open a watch, that has no displayback, You will be disapointed.

There is no decoration on the movement at all (except Breitling on the rotor). To see a fine movement, buy a watch with displayback, there are lots on the market. They have decorated movements, which are really nice to look at.

If You are the type, who wants to learn, how the movement is working, get the design pictures on the web. (just google it, You will find it)

BG
Thomas