Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which Omega???
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
So I've got a miestone birthday coming up in a few months and figured I'd treat myself with a new watch. Budget is between $4-6K MSRP on a new piece but I'm not opposed to something preowned either. I have the list narrowed down to either a Seamaster 300, possibly a new 3861 Speedy, or maybe a Tudor Heritage Chrono in blue. I've really liked the new wave dial Seamasters since they were introduced and the grey dial looks amazing in person and this is the one I'm leaning towards. I thought the white dial made more sense but when I tried it on last week, I wasn't that impressed. The new dials on Speedmaster with the 3861 movement is really impressive. I wasn't a fan of the 1861 Speedy dial since I thought it looked too flat but I think they fixed that with the new dial. I've always liked the Tudor chrono, but the dial is very flat with a lot of empty space. I love the watch in pictures, but on the wrist not so much. For reference, my collection consists of a SubC, Dayejust 2 with rhodium dial, and my 4 Breitlings (SOHC in blue, Chronomat Airborne, Colt GMT, Colt Skyracer). Here are some pics from the Omega boutique last week. These were taken inside and they didn't turn out as well as I'd hope. If there isn't anything else I should consider, please feel free to let me know.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

cowle likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: Which Omega???
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Have you considered a Zenith Justin? So much horological bang per buck. I wouldn't have suggested one but you do have a Speedmaster in the mix here, and I'd take a Zenith chrono over any Speedmaster, personally.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:49 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I've owned numerous speedmasters and I've always grown bored of them over time and have always ended up selling them. I agree with your assessment of the Tudor as well... Looks great in pictures but pretty blah and 1 dimensional in person. I'm not going to be much help here because as great as the specs are on the seamaster and as great as the bang for your buck, I personally hate the helium escape valve and the skeleton hands and the bracelet haha.

Sorry, not much help on this one but congrats on the milestone!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
I have to agree with sentiments expressed here, every collection needs a speedmaster, but they all tend to look alike. I would think a "special edition" of some type might fill the speedmaster need. In my opinion, you need to put your purchase on hold, put your money in a watch fund account and once the price settles on Brietling's new releases pick up either the the blue duograph or the copper Datora! I am not sure of the milestone that you are celebrating, but if it has a go fund page let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:49 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I’m turning 40 in July and this year we’re also celebrating our 15th anniversary. My wife got a Cartier Love bracelet but just the small rose gold edition so I’m working with a similar budget. I can see getting bored with the Speedmaster since the dials on the 1861 models just don’t do anything for me. The new dials have more character and depth so they’re more appealing. I like the Mark 2 but it’s like wearing a hockey puck on your wrist.

I know some people have complained about the helium valve on the Seamaster and others have complained about the non tapered bracelet. I didn’t really notice either of them when I tried them on. The new Breitling releases are really nice, and I was even really impressed with the new Chronomat when I tried them on last week wouldn’t be a bad idea. I didn’t care for the bullet bracelet, but I’ll admit, it was really comfortable. The Bentley dial is amazing in person.

I’ve got 3 months to decide and I’ll probably go back and forth. I just wanted to start a discussion with this group since I’m always curious if I’m overlooking something.

Scot - good idea on the go fund me. I’ve seen them for ideas dumber than a luxury watch purchase so maybe that can help increase the budget some.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Man the more I see of the sea masters the more I like. I saw you mentioned Tudor, woukd you consider a BB58? That watch is amazing IMo at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:45 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

boogiebot wrote:
Man the more I see of the sea masters the more I like. I saw you mentioned Tudor, woukd you consider a BB58? That watch is amazing IMo at that price point.

The BB58 925 is tempting since it’s different with the silver case and the dial does look good in pics but I wish it had a date. I know the Speedy doesn’t have a date but at least it has the chrono. I think if I was going with a simple no date watch, I’d look at the new Seamaster 300 Heritage edition.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... 0412103001

I’ve got about 3 months to decide and I’m sure I’m going to go back and forth. I saw a pretty good deal on a Bentley Chronomat on one of the big dealers on TRF and was tempted to make an offer. I tried that watch on at Govberg’s store in Florida a couple of weeks ago and was blown away at how nice the green dial was in person.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:16 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

The BB58 925 is tempting since it’s different with the silver case and the dial does look good in pics but I wish it had a date. I know the Speedy doesn’t have a date but at least it has the chrono. I think if I was going with a simple no date watch, I’d look at the new Seamaster 300 Heritage edition.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... 0412103001

I’ve got about 3 months to decide and I’m sure I’m going to go back and forth. I saw a pretty good deal on a Bentley Chronomat on one of the big dealers on TRF and was tempted to make an offer. I tried that watch on at Govberg’s store in Florida a couple of weeks ago and was blown away at how nice the green dial was in person.
The new chronomats look better and better each time I see them. I think whatever you opt for you can’t go wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I really do like the look of the new Seamasters. They have gotten thicker but if you don't mind that, those dials and the pronounced markers give them a depth and purposefulness. I tried on the new Speedmaster about a month ago and was impressed. I have come so close to buying one but never have, the additional depth in dial mostly the new bracelet have me interested, and yet my chrono remains the Zenith Chronomaster Classic Cars. Ruthenium dial and an absolute strap hound, I have 5 Bartons for it. So versatile it's just too easy to reach for whatever the occasion.

I like the idea of the Tudors and the newer chronograph is the least expensive way to go new and get a B01 Breitling. I think the Heritage still uses a 7750. I tried on a 58 and really liked it except for the rivets on the bracelet. For me, it was just trying too hard in the name of history. Consider the source though, my preferences often go just a touch off the normal path. In the used market, sport JLC's from a few years back are starting to creep down into your target price range and those are a lot of watch. Another watch I have come so close to owning, different style than you are generally considering but I'll toss it in, is an IWC Portuguese. The used market for one in white or blue is in your range. I don't know the cost of the new 41mm Pilot chronos but those look intriguing as well and a style not in your collection.

Personally, for a wedding anniversary last year, my wife and I looked hard at another Omega, the Aqua Terra, dark blue dial. I still think about that one. But when my wife saw Superocean 57 she said emphatically, "that's you". It's by far the easiest wearing Breitling I have owned and among the easiest of any brand. I am a "date" guy but I wear it a lot regardless, wearing it today. I have spotted a couple of those still around, also the 'bowtie' top time is just as cool now as it was all those years ago, which says something. Since we're talking timeless, I did buy one other last year, an early 2000's two tone Datejust. Not the usual setup, oyster bracelet and smooth bezel. For me, it takes the 'old guy' look away a bit, gives it a simple elegance. At 36mm, I typically only wear with shirt sleeves but it is for me the right size if you want a little gold and also ridiculously easy to wear.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:10 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Scott wrote:
I really do like the look of the new Seamasters. They have gotten thicker but if you don't mind that, those dials and the pronounced markers give them a depth and purposefulness. I tried on the new Speedmaster about a month ago and was impressed. I have come so close to buying one but never have, the additional depth in dial mostly the new bracelet have me interested, and yet my chrono remains the Zenith Chronomaster Classic Cars. Ruthenium dial and an absolute strap hound, I have 5 Bartons for it. So versatile it's just too easy to reach for whatever the occasion.

I like the idea of the Tudors and the newer chronograph is the least expensive way to go new and get a B01 Breitling. I think the Heritage still uses a 7750. I tried on a 58 and really liked it except for the rivets on the bracelet. For me, it was just trying too hard in the name of history. Consider the source though, my preferences often go just a touch off the normal path. In the used market, sport JLC's from a few years back are starting to creep down into your target price range and those are a lot of watch. Another watch I have come so close to owning, different style than you are generally considering but I'll toss it in, is an IWC Portuguese. The used market for one in white or blue is in your range. I don't know the cost of the new 41mm Pilot chronos but those look intriguing as well and a style not in your collection.

Personally, for a wedding anniversary last year, my wife and I looked hard at another Omega, the Aqua Terra, dark blue dial. I still think about that one. But when my wife saw Superocean 57 she said emphatically, "that's you". It's by far the easiest wearing Breitling I have owned and among the easiest of any brand. I am a "date" guy but I wear it a lot regardless, wearing it today. I have spotted a couple of those still around, also the 'bowtie' top time is just as cool now as it was all those years ago, which says something. Since we're talking timeless, I did buy one other last year, an early 2000's two tone Datejust. Not the usual setup, oyster bracelet and smooth bezel. For me, it takes the 'old guy' look away a bit, gives it a simple elegance. At 36mm, I typically only wear with shirt sleeves but it is for me the right size if you want a little gold and also ridiculously easy to wear.

I know some people have complained about how thick the Seamasters have gotten but I didn't notice it when I tried them on. I know others have also complained about the lack of a tapered bracelet but I could easily see wearing this mostly on the rubber strap or even a nato strap. The new Speedys are nice and I think are definitely a step up from the previous 1861 model and I like the manual wind aspect, but I'm still leaning towards the Seamaster.

The heritage chrono does still use the 7750. I thought they'd upgrade the movement in those to the B01 but that didn't happen. I like the new black bay chronos but I prefer a glossy black dial over the almost charcoal finish. That was one thing I didn't like about the Milgauss I had since it wasn't the same black as my Sub. I've owned a 7 day IWC Port and liked it, but it's too dressy for me now. The pilot chronos aren't a bad suggestion and the spitfire dial looks amazing in person.

I've already got a Datejust 2 so I've got that one covered and from Breitling, the Superocean 57 isn't a bad option if I can get over the no date. My only issue is that's still somewhat similar to my Superocean Heritage Chrono. I've looked at some preowned Navis lately and I'll admit, some of the preowned Chronomats are tempting since I've noticed some prices have started to come down on those. I've got 3 months to make a decision but I still like hearing what everyone else's thoughts are. For now, I'm just trying to see if there are any reasons to not buy the grey Seamaster and I'm having a hard time finding any.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:40 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Yes, the pricing on older Chronomat Evos is so (all relative) good lately I have done a double-take and I'm not a bigwatch guy anymore.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Personally I don't think the current Seamaster is that thick at all at just 13.7mm ; certainly not in comparison to the POs'.

I love the watch head, but all the things I don't like about the current SM are all bracelet/strap related. As Justin said above, the lack of taper looks a bit clumsy and unrefined to me, and I also personally don't like the latest "straight across" endlinks as it means the lines of the strap don't flow seamlessly from the case. You end up with a slightly odd "bulge" between the lugs unless you have small wrists that allow the bracelet to hang almost straight down. (Hard to describe, but I know what I mean! :lol: )

I think the SM looks WAY better on the rubber strap, BUT the lack of a deployant option is a huge oversight IMO, especially considering that the AT and PO ranges all offer one.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
BTW Justin - if you're potentially in the market for a Speedy, then (provided you can handle the size) I'd personally recommend the current Speedmaster Racing (the "Co-Axial Master Chronometer" one). For me that one does almost everything you could ever want from a Speedy. Superb movement, ceramic bezel insert, white gold hands, applied markers, micro-adjustable bracelet, display back, domed sapphire, not TOO thick.... it's almost perfect. The ONLY thing I'd change is I'd like it to be 42mm instead of 44.25, but it does wear slightly smaller than you'd imagine due to shortish lug to lug.

I was really excited about the "new" 3861-powered Moonwatch, but the price hike and the fact they didn't go with a ceramic insert on it cancels that out for me. IMO they should've kept the aluminium insert on the Hesalite/closed caseback version, and gone with a ceramic insert on the sapphire/display caseback version. One all vintage, one with a fully modern twist.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:52 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks for your input Driver. I do agree that the Seamaster looks best on the rubber strap which is what I’d wear it on most of the time. It’ll either be that or maybe a couple of the Omega natos.

I’ve tried on the larger Speedmaster before at the same boutique and agree, it really does look nice. I don’t recall it feeling that big. I just thought if I’m going to get a Speedy, I’d go for the true moo watch. The new dials are really impressive and the bracelet does have a vintage feel, but I agree, a ceramic
besel would’ve been an amazing update.

cowle likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
Thanks for your input Driver. I do agree that the Seamaster looks best on the rubber strap which is what I’d wear it on most of the time. It’ll either be that or maybe a couple of the Omega natos.

I’ve tried on the larger Speedmaster before at the same boutique and agree, it really does look nice. I don’t recall it feeling that big. I just thought if I’m going to get a Speedy, I’d go for the true moo watch. The new dials are really impressive and the bracelet does have a vintage feel, but I agree, a ceramic
besel would’ve been an amazing update.

I own a Speedy moon watch it's amazing.