Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 6 posts
Hi guys!
I am relatively new to the watch enthusiasts world, so I'm sorry if my question is a bit uneducated, or if I've gotten my facts wrong (or if my english is uncomprehencable).

I'm wondering why Breitling (amongst others) don't skeletonize or in other ways decorate their rotors in a more elaborate way? From my perspective it would be natural for a brand to want to showcase their in-house calibers. After all, isn't that the whole purpose of a crystal "exhibition" caseback? I agree that the rotor is part of what should be showcased, but a plain rotor covering 50% of the caliber is not that exciting, in my opinion.

My impression is that the majority of watch enthusiasts prefer a skeletonized/decorated rotor, to a plain solid piece half circle one. Also, a skeletonized or more decorated rotor will also help distinguish their in-house calibers from the more generic ETA's and Sellita's, making for a more exclusive feel. I believe most of the highest regarded brands (like PP, AP, VC, JLC, Lange etc) mostly uses skeletonized rotors. So I would believe that any brand wanting to elevate their game, would draw inspiration from the top players

My understanding is that a rotor can be skeletonized quite a bit without significantly affecting the winding performance (or am I wrong?). Also, the cost for stamping out a skeletonized version VS a solid one can't be that much higher? I mean, sure it will cost some dollars, but in a watch retailing at 3k-30k it can't be more than an insignificant fraction?

So, if my understanding is correct: The cost is minimal, the majority of the target audience prefer it, the performance is not significantly affected, and it can also help elevate the brands reputation, why don't they skeletonize their rotors? The only Breitling rotor I have seen with any kind of skeletonization is the Chronoworks. For me, even that open slice in the rotor is miles better than the solid one covering half of my B01.

Any thoughts, corrections or input? What do you think, should Breitling skeletonize (or in some way elaborate) their standard in-house rotors?

(I must admit, I'm naively and with a delusional-level of optimism hoping for thousands of replies saying yes, so we can show it to Breitling, and make them change their rotors!)

Last edited by Magulv on Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Breitling rotors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

No thoughts? Am I that far off base here..?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:10 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
I agree, the rotor on the Navitimer could be a lot more interesting than it is. I don't consider their B01 movement all that nice looking/decorated so a unique rotor would have been nice.

I can understand why they did a standard looking "Breitling" rotor though, they can keep it that way for years off in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:32 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I agree, the B01 isn't exactly made to be a looker, so an elaborate rotor would help lift the overall impression.

I see. But wouldnt the same apply for a lightly skeletonized or decorated rotor? Is there any reason why they can't keep it for several years to come? If any, they could probably be eliminated by using the existing rotor as base. Then they could still use the base for the ETA/Sellita models, while using the a bit more elaborate one for the manufacture models. Still only requiring one base for both types.
I just can't understand why they willingly use that plain one for all their models, even the $15k+ models (granted, they apply a bit of gold on some).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:10 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
I think it has to do with the target audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

boogiebot wrote:
I think it has to do with the target audience.

Interesting! Can you please elaborate?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

So, I guess Breitling had the same thoughts :D

Amazing new watches released, btw! Seems like Breitling has really stepped up their caliber finishing game!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
My thought with display backs is that nobody really sees it except the wearer so what's the point. Most Breitling's aren't even display back so a highly decorated movement isn't visible at all. At the current pricing levels all that would do is increase the cost significantly (minimal isn't something usually used in the cost factoring). ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for your input, "vintage".

I see your point. However, I do believe a lot of us buys watches primarely/solely for our own enjoyment. And, I can only speak for myself here, but I truly enjoy watching the mechanism at work from time to time. Also, I feel like it speaks volumes to the brands attention to detail and level of perfectionalism when they choose to pay attention to the parts less visible.

You're probably right regarding the cost. But interestingly enough, the least complicated of the new Premier Heritages, with a new in-house caliber with alot more elaboration, and otherwise same specs as my Premier B01 chronograph, is actually priced around €600 lower. Granted, the new caliber is manual wound, but still.