It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Message to Breitling
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
WatchFred wrote:
One of the new credos of Kern, make sure you have watches available to buy when a new model is announced.

Imagine if that idea caught on with certain other companies! :wink:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:06 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Driver8 wrote:
WatchFred wrote:
One of the new credos of Kern, make sure you have watches available to buy when a new model is announced.

Imagine if that idea caught on with certain other companies! :wink:
No kidding. Now only if the Rolex people read this board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
well, it sometimes brings unwanted results, had the hell of a time to get people to delete pics of an LE that will be launched in week 39, but already is on stock in Boutiques... and the sales staff in two Far East boutiques didn't know these were still under embargo and started showing them to clients ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:37 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 3 posts
Chrome wrote:
Guys, who already know, are there any Endurance Pro from the Professional collection already on sale, which is temperature compensated? and approximately how much will they cost?

Yes, during the lockdown I read Rolex can pay all their employees for 10 years without selling a single watch... that's how much cash they have on hand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
WatchFred wrote:
widely available, online, in Boutiques & at AD. One of the new credos of Kern, make sure you have watches available to buy when a new model is announced. List is US$ 3k

I have been particularly impressed by this. When something new came out, I could see it. I was so accustomed to the contrary that I delayed going to look at some models only to find the stock had been there and already sold.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:50 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
boogiebot wrote:
I know that the Breitling people review this board. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t watchfred work for Breitling? Anyway, to the Breitling team there seems to be a major shortage of Rolex watches, if there was ever a time to try and regain market share or bring this brand back to its glory days; now is that time.

I'd buy a Breitling Rolex in a heartbeat...just as long as they don't have that new Breitling B on it... :uplaugh:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:54 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
mephisto4711 wrote:
Breitling just needs to do what Rolex does..produce less than the demand is, never give discounts, rather destroy the watches that don't sell and don't let them be sold at outlet or discounters....very simple.

:yeahthat Spot on...when things like this is going on but Rolex is selling 3,5,10k over MSRP Breitling has to realize they are doing something terribly wrong.

https://www.jomashop.com/breitling-watches.html

https://www.authenticwatches.com/breitling.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

MickeyWatch wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
I know that the Breitling people review this board. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t watchfred work for Breitling? Anyway, to the Breitling team there seems to be a major shortage of Rolex watches, if there was ever a time to try and regain market share or bring this brand back to its glory days; now is that time.

I'd buy a Breitling Rolex in a heartbeat...just as long as they don't have that new Breitling B on it... :uplaugh:

Love the collection sir!

MickeyWatch likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:36 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
WatchFred wrote:
well, it sometimes brings unwanted results, had the hell of a time to get people to delete pics of an LE that will be launched in week 39, but already is on stock in Boutiques... and the sales staff in two Far East boutiques didn't know these were still under embargo and started showing them to clients ;)

Is this the week for the new reveal?

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
no, postponed (not enough stock in all markets yet), one of the advantages of “virtual launches” ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:27 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
Slow to come here but thought it was an interesting topic so figured I'd dip my oar in.

First, G Kern is incredibly open. If you read all his press releases, interviews etc you get a great insight into the company. For example, he's fully aware of the oversupply problem AND the issues with how regional distributors have dumped stock to crash prices. He's reining that in asap. Especially ceasing distributor deals and having a more direct route to the consumer.

Two. If you look at grey market stock for places like jomashop and chronext its all pretty old - very little current catalog. For example, lots and lots of out of catalog colts, bucket loads of old transoceans, the short lived Navitimer 8 stuff that was obviously cleared in a rush, a few earlier experiments with the new catalog but not a lot else. Also the 'claimed' MSRPs seem inflated - most are a good 10-20% higher than MSRP in Australia/UK etc. Is the US a particular problem for dumping OR are distributors picking stuff up internationally much cheaper and funnelling it back to the US to sell at inflated "discounts".

Three. It appears Breitling, far from competing with Rolex, it setting itself to be the anti-rolex, casual-sustainable-inclusive (and recently their marketing guy added accessible) sounds like Breitling is not so much seeking to woo Rolex buyers but rather attract those put off by that companies approach. And I'm guessing you guys have talked about being more than just aviation and returning to a more breitling family/ernst catalog.

Now - we can debate until the cows come home if that's a good strategy or bad one. Is this a go woke - go broke move or a rebirth of Breitling as the very best version of itself (I tend to the later)? But my main point is that we really don't have to guess at their plans - they are out there for us to see (more anti-rolex thinking).

PS - before going all gooey eyed over rolex and wishing breitling followed their lead - their biggest seller and the watch that keeps them the biggest in the business is the Lady Datejust and that routinely sells at heavy discount. The sub etc are halo products deliberately withheld and used to increase demand elsewhere. As Breitling fans ask yourself - is that how I'd like them to treat me? Wall the wall 35mm navitimers and wait lists and preferred customer status required for the stuff you really want?

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
rocinante wrote:
Slow to come here but thought it was an interesting topic so figured I'd dip my oar in.

First, G Kern is incredibly open. If you read all his press releases, interviews etc you get a great insight into the company. For example, he's fully aware of the oversupply problem AND the issues with how regional distributors have dumped stock to crash prices. He's reining that in asap. Especially ceasing distributor deals and having a more direct route to the consumer.

Two. If you look at grey market stock for places like jomashop and chronext its all pretty old - very little current catalog. For example, lots and lots of out of catalog colts, bucket loads of old transoceans, the short lived Navitimer 8 stuff that was obviously cleared in a rush, a few earlier experiments with the new catalog but not a lot else. Also the 'claimed' MSRPs seem inflated - most are a good 10-20% higher than MSRP in Australia/UK etc. Is the US a particular problem for dumping OR are distributors picking stuff up internationally much cheaper and funnelling it back to the US to sell at inflated "discounts".

Three. It appears Breitling, far from competing with Rolex, it setting itself to be the anti-rolex, casual-sustainable-inclusive (and recently their marketing guy added accessible) sounds like Breitling is not so much seeking to woo Rolex buyers but rather attract those put off by that companies approach. And I'm guessing you guys have talked about being more than just aviation and returning to a more breitling family/ernst catalog.

Now - we can debate until the cows come home if that's a good strategy or bad one. Is this a go woke - go broke move or a rebirth of Breitling as the very best version of itself (I tend to the later)? But my main point is that we really don't have to guess at their plans - they are out there for us to see (more anti-rolex thinking).

PS - before going all gooey eyed over rolex and wishing breitling followed their lead - their biggest seller and the watch that keeps them the biggest in the business is the Lady Datejust and that routinely sells at heavy discount. The sub etc are halo products deliberately withheld and used to increase demand elsewhere. As Breitling fans ask yourself - is that how I'd like them to treat me? Wall the wall 35mm navitimers and wait lists and preferred customer status required for the stuff you really want?

Great first post, and welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

My personal view on pricing, discounting and availability is this :-

As a consumer, I want to be able to buy what I want and when I want it, I'm happy to pay manufacture's full RRP (because after all, that's the figure the manufacturer says it should be priced at), and if I can get a discount on it then it's happy days as it's more money in my pocket...., BUT getting a discount isn't a make or break for me at all. I for one am pretty happy with Breitling's business model, as you can usually get pieces you want, and resale value and all the "investment" nonsense you get with the likes of Rolex is utterly irrelevant to me. I don't buy watches as investments, and I don't buy them because other people like them ; I buy for me and me alone. Of course, too much discounting (caused by over-supply) can create a brand image problem, but if that happens then frankly it's Breitling's problem, not mine as a consumer. Obviously if you buy with one eye constantly on resale, then yes, it causes an issue for the consumer as well, but not if you buy for the reasons I state.

On the Rolex front, I must be honest and say that I love their watches.....but I absolutely HATE the way they do business. Restricted supply means you can't buy what you want or when you want it, unless you pay way over the top with a Grey.... and paying a single penny over RRP is something I'd never do. So in that regard, Rolex totally fails in my view of pricing, discounting and availability. However, because I like their watches I go on their little lists, and I play the little games with the ADs, and eventually I get the pieces I'm after. But that whole process totally sours what should be a really nice enjoyable buying experience. In that regard, the buying process with Breitling (or Omega, or IWC, etc) is ten times better than with Rolex.

The ideal situation for any company is to have just enough supply to provide consumers with the pieces they want with no (or minimal) wait, but no over-supply which can result in discounting. That's an economic balancing act that is very hard to achieve, so given the choice of Breitling's model or Rolex's model, as a consumer with no concern for resale value, I'd take Breitling's every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:22 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Is it just me, or do you guys find it rather strange that we get such a shinning response from a new account in this forum. Dare I say it? Is this a shill posting?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:42 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Is it just me, or do you guys find it rather strange that we get such a shinning response from a new account in this forum. Dare I say it? Is this a shill posting?

No way, I've never read anything misleading on the internet.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

jnelson3097 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

No way, I've never read anything misleading on the internet.