Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Summit Webcast 8/26
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:06 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
What is it the B82 movment? Inhouse new one?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
challenger_fr wrote:
What is it the B82 movment? Inhouse new one?

I wouldn't have thought it was in-house, or else I'd have expected a much bigger fanfare.

The dial layout looks similar to the Chrono Avenger M1 that was powered by the B73, but the 10 o'clock subdial is different though, so I'm guessing it's not based on the old ETA Thermoline 251.232 or the 233. Also interestingly the 10 and 2 subdials functions look different compared to the current ETA quartz movements. I'm interested to know what it is now.

(The movement is literally the ONLY thing about this watch that I'm interested in! :lol: )

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
In May of 2018 Georges did and interview with Celine Yap of the Singapore edition of the Robb Report, In the article he mentions why he stopped production of the Sky Racer. The following is a quote from the article.

"Our example, the Sky Racer which I’m stopping. This is where I think we made a mistake. I agree many other brands are going too low at their level. This is image damaging. We have to be careful. That’s why I’m also stopping the Chrono Colt in quartz. I want to be competitive in my segment where I have the credibility and acceptance. Every brand has to be in the right segment and acceptance in its own category."

Following his thinking one would think that the Sky Racer, priced at $2000, was damaging to the Breitling image. I guess if you add a Chrono function, a little bit of color and market it to those competing in ironman/woman competitions then that is fine for the Breitling image.

In my opinion this is just another example of Kearns looking to pump and dump. I would be willing to wage that these watches will be available for a significant discount within six months! My decision to sleep in here on the East coast is looking better and better! :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
Cut off numbers for a start! :lol:

I initially thought "what's the point of this watch?"

Then I thought, OK, I wear 2 watches (1 GPS/abc and 1 normal for the time and when the GPS watch runs of charge) when I'm out cycling, mountain walking etc. for an extended period of time. I sometimes forget to charge the Garmin watch.
So I guess the point of this watch is that it's a bit of good old fashioned bragging points to those who care about their image when outdoors or whatever.
As a sporty fashion (or success) statement i suppose it works - it is better looking than most G-Shocks.
Not something that I'd personally want but good luck to Breitling if it helps sales.

Driver8 wrote:
jnelson3097 wrote:
It looks like they brought back the Breitlight case and put a chrono in it.

Breitling Endurance

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

They say if you don't have anything nice to say, then it's best to say nothing at all.

Therefore.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
here's a real-life pic of the Endurance from the Geneva Watch Days:

yes, Georges wanted to exit the "entry-level" Quartz segment, but AD and Boutiques saw relevant demand, pre-sales are strong. Not a watch for WIS for sure, but many of the new converts from the "no watch" or smartwatch-wearing crowd can't be bothered with our imprecise mechanical wonders that have to be wound by hand or put on a winder when unworn, they love the SuperQuartz Chronometers with a battery life of three years and typical precision of 5-10 seconds deviation per year ;)

Fun watch, unbelievably light on the wrist. Would I really wear it: no, but I'm clearly not the target audience.

and the Superocean Heritage B20 in red gold & blue; I'd happily wear that:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Georges wanted to exit the "entry-level" Quartz segment, but AD and Boutiques saw relevant demand, pre-sales are strong. Not a watch for WIS for sure, but many of the new converts from the "no watch" or smartwatch-wearing crowd can't be bothered with our imprecise mechanical wonders that have to be wound by hand or put on a winder when unworn, they love the SuperQuartz Chronometers with a battery life of three years and typical precision of 5-10 seconds deviation per year

Fred, thanks for letting us know what is going on over at headquarter's, again :wink: :wink: ! It would have been nice if Georges had actually owned up to his mistake, otherwise how can you believe what he says!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

sorry, but are you truly blaming Georges for learning, listening to market demands, customer feedback, adapting? He did the same with the naming fiasco of what now is the Aviator 8 line - and he'll continue to listen & learn; whoever believes he can define multi-year strategies (yes, we are currently working on 2023 launch plans) and always be right is an idiot. Georges isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

re that Re-Edition comment above: we always said we'd do a line of Re-Editions, bringing back iconic models, one per year; we'll continue to do that, owners seem to like them a lot ;)

re that "pump & dump" comment, nothing could be further from the truth - we will see Breitling enter new market segments, some w/ considerable long term investment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
sorry, but are you truly blaming Georges for learning, listening to market demands, customer feedback, adapting? He did the same with the naming fiasco of what now is the Aviator 8 line - and he'll continue to listen & learn; whoever believes he can define multi-year strategies (yes, we are currently working on 2023 launch plans) and always be right is an idiot. Georges isn't.

No one can blames Georges for listening, with the naming fiasco he came out and admitted "his" mistake with respect to the naming of the new line. I may be wrong but I don't recall any announcement with respect to reintroducing a "low cost" entry level quartz watch. He owned up to the first mistake, my concern is that he failed to do it with the intro of the endurance pro.

Quote:
re that "pump & dump" comment, nothing could be further from the truth - we will see Breitling enter new market segments, some w/ considerable long term investment.

You may not agree, but I can not give Georges a pass on this as well. Breitling continues to produce too many watches for the market right now. Sales may be up but the market is not absorbing all of the watches that are being produced! You can go into any AD and drive a very hard bargain for almost any watch outside the re-editions. A quick perusal of Breitling's for sale on the Watchrecan web site shows BNIB Chronomats going for 25% off of MSRP. If you take a look at the website of a major Breitling AD here in the states you will see brand new watches being offered at 40-50% off.

Please don't tell me that all of the watches being offered at a discount are discontinued models like others have said in the past. It has gotten so bad that the AD must have been told not to list the MSRP of the watches for sale on their website. The numbers don't lie, there is a significant issue with the resale value and the discounting of Breitling watches at AD's. The only individuals that pay MSRP is the individual who buy at a Breitling Boutique.

This situation reminds me of one of my children's favorite books, "The Emperor's New Clothes", someone needs to speak up at Breitling HQ!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
I stopped by the closest AD today and got to see the Endurance Pro in person. It's incredible light. Too light for my taste but probably right for the target. It took me about 10 seconds to try the chronograph a few times and hand it back to the salesperson. She said, "Pretty busy dial, huh?" Yep, too busy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:43 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Nihon_Ni wrote:
I stopped by the closest AD today and got to see the Endurance Pro in person. It's incredible light. Too light for my taste but probably right for the target. It took me about 10 seconds to try the chronograph a few times and hand it back to the salesperson. She said, "Pretty busy dial, huh?" Yep, too busy.

Couldn't agree more -- ridiculously busy dial.