The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:23 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Jhdscript wrote:
I think the biggest issue concerning Breitling popularity is the new Kern strategy based only on reeditions. All new models are very invisible compared to other brands
I'm not sure where you are looking, but I see Breitling cycling models through their social media marketing strategy, irrespective of whether they are a re-edition, re-imagined or brand new.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:04 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 54 posts
Rolex and AP take the market, omega and breitling are less luxury...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Jhdscript wrote:
Rolex, perhaps; but AP is truly a one-trick pony.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
From the Breitling Website!

Quote:
Breitling’s association with sport cycling can be traced back more than 60 years. From the early 1950s, the brand provided its timekeeping services to the most highly regarded competitions in the world, including the Giro d’Italia, the Milan–San Remo, the Tour de Lombardie, the Tour de France, the Tour de Belgique, the Flèche Wallonne, and the Volta a Portugal. Breitling worked with some of the sport’s true legends. One was Italian Fausto Coppi, “Il Campionissimo.” The world champion of world champions won the Tour de France twice and the Giro d’Italia five times. In fact, in 1948 and 1952, he won both races, a pair of victories known as the “Grand Boucle.” Breitling also worked with his fiercest rival, Gino Bartali, who won the Tour de France twice and the Giro d’Italia three times.

Georges and his team had to have dug hard to find this, and I always thought that Breitling was associated with aviation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jnelson3097 likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:12 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
arcadelt wrote:
Jhdscript wrote:
Rolex, perhaps; but AP is truly a one-trick pony.

Agreed - AP without the RO or ROO (while still making some very well executed pieces) would never have captured the watch-world's imagination like they have.

Personally I really like both the RO and ROO, but it absolutely astounds me that they're STILL using a modular movement with a non-in-house DD chrono module in the ROO! And this is one of the alleged "holy trinity" of watch makers. Yes the DD module is all very good, and the AP base movement (ticking along at a rather leisurely 21,600) is an outstandingly fine piece of watchmaking, but even so.....

Site Moderator

MrRoy likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
56scooter wrote:

Quote:
Breitling’s association with sport cycling can be traced back more than 60 years. From the early 1950s, the brand provided its timekeeping services to the most highly regarded competitions in the world, including the Giro d’Italia, the Milan–San Remo, the Tour de Lombardie, the Tour de France, the Tour de Belgique, the Flèche Wallonne, and the Volta a Portugal. Breitling worked with some of the sport’s true legends. One was Italian Fausto Coppi, “Il Campionissimo.” The world champion of world champions won the Tour de France twice and the Giro d’Italia five times. In fact, in 1948 and 1952, he won both races, a pair of victories known as the “Grand Boucle.” Breitling also worked with his fiercest rival, Gino Bartali, who won the Tour de France twice and the Giro d’Italia three times.

Georges and his team had to have dug hard to find this, and I always thought that Breitling was associated with aviation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

no, only for those with very short memories ;)
for those a bit interested in history, Gino Bartali wasn't only the most famous cyclist of the times, but also a hero of the resistance against the Nazi occupation, widely respected in Italy until today.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

WatchFred wrote:
56scooter wrote:

Quote:

no, only for those with very short memories ;)
for those a bit interested in history, Gino Bartali wasn't only the most famous cyclist of the times, but also a hero of the resistance against the Nazi occupation, widely respected in Italy until today.

Or for those who do not have short memories, but whose memories of sports growing up of consisted of baseball, football and hockey players and not those of cycling! :wink: :wink: :wink:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
as unbelievable as it may seem, there’s a world out there, across the Atlantic - where cycling is as popular as baseball is in the US (Giro and Tour de France winners were heroes in many countries)

zak57 likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
WatchFred wrote:
Gino Bartali wasn't only the most famous cyclist of the times, but also a hero of the resistance against the Nazi occupation, widely respected in Italy until today.

Indeed, though part of what makes him so extraordinary is that he never spoke of it, so wasn't a hero of the resistance until after his death. See for a very good recent account:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/52538289

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
Not making a judgement or saying current direction is flawed but I like the "collections" and the "vision" more when I reminisce and flip through older Chronologs verses last couple years...your milage may vary. Luckily for me there still are lots to buy so I don't have to worry about the new lot for now...maybe they will grow on me! LOL.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

WatchFred wrote:
as unbelievable as it may seem, there’s a world out there, across the Atlantic - where cycling is as popular as baseball is in the US (Giro and Tour de France winners were heroes in many countries)

You guys across the Atlantic need not worry, I am well aware of the world not only across the "pond" but that which is across the Pacific as well. Now that the geography lesson is complete, :wink: :wink: , my point was that although Breitling may have been involved in the timing aspect of cycling, it was not one of the things that was stressed in the corporate history prior to the current ownership.

Right now Georges is drawing on multiple sports to introduce Breitling to people who previously may not have considered Breitling when purchasing a watch. Although I may not agree with the strategy, you as an employee of Breitling will undoubtedly support it as best you can. I am sure that Breitling can produce numbers that will indicate not only an increase in sales, but an increase in the overall awareness of Breitling as a brand. There are those that will utilize these numbers as a testament as to how well Georges and his team are doing.

However, in the long run, Georges and his team need to address other factors which have contributed to the decline of the Breitling image. I am afraid of a situation such as that which occurred in Hans Christian Andersen book, 'The Emperor's New Clothes', where people are afraid to criticize something because everyone else seems to think it is good or important. Failing to consider other peoples opinions or concerns will, in my opinion, only lead to a short sided approach to solving some of Breitlings major issues.

For what it is worth, I used to be big cycling fan, I even got up early to watch the Tour de France live. I used to participate in triathlons before multiple back surgeries forced me to abandon my love of cycling and running.

In this day and age we should all remember that there are times where generalizations can be troubling!

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:34 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
MrRoy wrote:
Thesil wrote:
My Jeweler was a Breitling AD , but had to get rid of the line because Breitling dictates how many pieces he had to sell, and at what price. So maybe Breitling is difficult to deal with? Maybe that’s the reason

Sounds like an absolute minimum. If you dont sell the watches, how can you expect to keep on being a AD? And heavy discount will make it hard for other ADs to sell the watches for retail. So ADs who basically rely on discount hurt the brand.

I dont think Rolex would accept heavy discounts on their watches either.
I own a Rolex subc LN, LV and a GMT BLNR all of which were purchased below retail. The LN was grabbed at 22% off. So the myth that Rolex doesn’t discount is bullshit. Also al pieces were bought from an AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:48 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

boogiebot wrote:
I own a Rolex subc LN, LV and a GMT BLNR all of which were purchased below retail. The LN was grabbed at 22% off. So the myth that Rolex doesn’t discount is bullshit. Also al pieces were bought from an AD

Recently?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
arcadelt wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Recently?

I'd be highly surprised if it was recent.

Of the 4 Rolexes I've bought (going back to 2007) all have been from AD's, in cash, and at RRP. Even back in 2007 the concept of a discount from AD here in the UK was unheard of. I heard they wouldn't even offer interest free credit on Rolexes, even back then.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:00 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Driver8 wrote:
arcadelt wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Recently?

I'd be highly surprised if it was recent.

Of the 4 Rolexes I've bought (going back to 2007) all have been from AD's, in cash, and at RRP. Even back in 2007 the concept of a discount from AD here in the UK was unheard of. I heard they wouldn't even offer interest free credit on Rolexes, even back then.
The BLNR was purchased about two years ago and was grabbed with more than a10% discount. I will admit as of late this would be very difficult. But if I really pushed I should be able to find most things at retail with the exception of SS Daytona’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next