Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re-dual options ?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:29 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I like the character of a vintage watch but would like The dial to look as nice as its able .
What are the options to a redial ;I want to keep the dial in original condition but would like to have it cleaned up without hurting the value .

Post subject: Re: Re-dual options ?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Woodywatch wrote:
I like the character of a vintage watch but would like The dial to look as nice as its able .
What are the options to a redial ;I want to keep the dial in original condition but would like to have it cleaned up without hurting the value .

Do not do a re-dial! It is likely that if you clean up or replace the crystal, it will make the dial pop. However, a good watchmaker will be able to delicately clean up a dial of anything too bad. You will learn to value the patina of a vintage watch, because that is where the story of the watch and it's owner lives.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
arcadelt wrote:
However, a good watchmaker will be able to delicately clean up a dial of anything too bad. You will learn to value the patina of a vintage watch, because that is where the story of the watch and it's owner lives.

I’ll politely disagree to say in my experience a watchmakers ability to clean a dial are pretty limited. They can remove flaking lume, but staining, subdial scrapes, peeling lacquer, moisture damage, all seem pretty permanent.

Redials are a no no for collectors. If it was a family piece and not of great collector value, and redial was the only option, then I’d understand ( think like an Omega dress watch) , but generally your options are trying to find another vintage dial and swap it in, buying a watch in better condition, or living with the watch as is.

Dave

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:26 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

buddman wrote:
arcadelt wrote:
However, a good watchmaker will be able to delicately clean up a dial of anything too bad.

I’ll politely disagree to say in my experience a watchmakers ability to clean a dial are pretty limited.

Dave, flaking lume, obvious foxing or mould, etc, that might end up in the movement is what I meant by "anything too bad".

buddman likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:06 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

arcadelt wrote:
buddman wrote:
arcadelt wrote:
However, a good watchmaker will be able to delicately clean up a dial of anything too bad.

I’ll politely disagree to say in my experience a watchmakers ability to clean a dial are pretty limited.

Dave, flaking lume, obvious foxing or mould, etc, that might end up in the movement is what I meant by "anything too bad".

Totally agree. I just remember when I started collecting, thinking that a stained dial could be cleaned up in the same way you clean a kitchen table! Give it a good wipe and it will be fine! I don't even think I knew what they were made of. Just wanted to be clear for a new collector that dials don’t really clean up at all. That said, a new crystal often helps tremendously!

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

buddman wrote:
Totally agree. I just remember when I started collecting, thinking that a stained dial could be cleaned up in the same way you clean a kitchen table! Give it a good wipe and it will be fine! I don't even think I knew what they were made of. Just wanted to be clear for a new collector that dials don’t really clean up at all. That said, a new crystal often helps tremendously!

Helping out is the best part of this hobby, so thanks. Anyway, more importantly have you had a look at the OP's only other post?

buddman likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

arcadelt wrote:
Anyway, more importantly have you had a look at the OP's only other post?

Oh dear. You should get arrested for vandalism if you did that,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
@Woodywatch: VERY sound advice here!
please listen, especially if we are talking about that watch you originally inquired about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:55 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

arcadelt wrote:
Woodywatch wrote:

Do not do a re-dial! It is likely that if you clean up or replace the crystal, it will make the dial pop. However, a good watchmaker will be able to delicately clean up a dial of anything too bad. You will learn to value the patina of a vintage watch, because that is where the story of the watch and it's owner lives.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I know an amazing watchmaker in the north Texas area, he will also keep the watch in collector condition if I ask him too . I’m getting pretty excited to have it serviced .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:08 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

The only thing you might consider is getting the hands relumed. They look they have already been relumed and repainted before because they are very white. The lume that is in there has fallen out too. a better, clear picture of the hands would allow more informed advice though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:43 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Attachment:
7C7B65B8-597E-4208-A5A5-1624904AD893.jpeg
buddman wrote:
The only thing you might consider is getting the hands relumed. They look they have already been relumed and repainted before because they are very white. The lume that is in there has fallen out too. a better, clear picture of the hands would allow more informed advice though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I think they’re probably repainted. The chronograph sweep hand is not original because the Breitling ones dont have that little scoop shaped tail, so someone played around with them at some point. The darker edges of the lume where it touches the metal hands suggest the work done on them isn’t recent. I’d get them redone with lume to match the dial (and I’d lop that little tail off the chrono sweep too), but others might have an opinion too.