The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Quick question. I just purchased a SuperOcean 44 on eBay. Below are a couple red flags I’ve discovered. Looking for someone with more experience to validate or dismiss my concerns. Fortunately seller will refund money in not authentic Breitling.

1. Bracelet clasp has MODELE DEPOSE on bottom bar. Top bar is blank. I’ve seen several bracelet clasps claiming to be authentic from reputable dealers in this configuration, but most seem to also have MANUFACTURE EN SUISSE on top bar of clasp.

2. There is a 7 digit serial number below the Reference #A17392. However, upon opening the case I could not locate a corresponding serial number anywhere on the B17 movement. Do all B17 movements have serial numbers inscribed.?

Everything else on the watch is identical to authentic ones I’ve compared to on internet. Movement components, jewels and screws all match perfectly as well as polishing marks on the inside of the case. Everything on the exterior also appears to be authentic.

Tooth pick in photo pointing to where I’ve seen serial numbers on other B17 movements.

Any assist would be appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:28 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I'm a new Breitling owner (so take what I say with a grain of salt), but one thing jumped out at me.

I have the cousin of your watch, A17366. My watch has a solid back (no window). If you look at the Breitling website, the stock photos of your watch also show a solid back.
https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches ... 92D71B1A1/

It wouldn't shock me if Breitling made this watch with a window, but that difference immediately jumped out to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
audirt wrote:
It wouldn't shock me if Breitling made this watch with a window, but that difference immediately jumped out to me.

It's not a display back, OP just unscrewed solid case back.
Don't know much about newer reps and I can be wrong, but this one looks ok to me.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:52 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 174 posts
I can't help you with point 2, but my identical SO44 does have 'manufacture en suisse' on the opposite bar of the deployant. Your endlinks are stamped 162A which is correct. Perhaps the stamping was mistakenly left off at point of manufacture, things like this do happen, even Rolex have put a few howlers out into the wild. Your watch facewise & bezel as far as I can tell from the pics, looks OK to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:23 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

bnewbie wrote:

It's not a display back, OP just unscrewed solid case back.

D'oh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
Any pics of the bracelet at the other clasp end?
I want to see the last connecting link...

Regards to the caseback being removed : the back of a genuine is extremely tight. They are not normally easy for the hobbyist to open using non professional non Swiss tools.I've tried it myself. It should be opened using the correct breitling type die with corresponding number of flats. Another reason to be suspicious.

Also, the serial number on the caseback should match the number on the movement bridge. You said there's no number? Then I'm quite certain that it's a clone.

Presumably you have no papers either? It's a relatively new model not to have any supporting paperwork/e-card at all....