The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
LOL - this is 9 years ago now! Literally this was a splash in a 10mx10m pool with a 2 year old - wasn't operating any buttons/setting the date!

I still expected better after care given their huge margins and if it is a design issue that you brush against the winder and that can let water in - not fit for purpose (even though I didn't). Pulling it out is pretty impossible by brushing against anything I'd think.

Anyway the karma is at least £10k down for Breitling as they wanted to stiff me for a few hundred. My new watch isn't a Breitling and I steered my brother away and bad mouth their service too - petty I know, but all that was left. Literally this could have cost them £40 for that quartz movement as their margins are to die for... But my bad of course having always had the £1 battery replaced for £60 at a dealer to preserve waterproofness. Adios amigos - still lovely watches mind; enjoy :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:53 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
I have a Breitling B-1 (50m) and would not wear it in water, near water or even in heavy rain. I'd wear something appropriate for the planned activity or take it off.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I have been doing the same with my Omega for the past 9 years. Live and learn - wont get burned again :cheer:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
New member here - first post!

I have a 1998 Aerospace I've worn everyday since..1998. :)

I've recently started SCUBA diving, and I've worn my trusty Aerospace on every dive (up to about 70 dives now). Most dives are down to 50-60 feet, but I've done a few wreck dives up to 100 feet.

Never had a problem with water incursion. Perhaps I'm just lucky?

My movement recently died (well, lots of LCD panel pixels died), so the watch is back to the AD for a replacement movement, but I'm sure there was no water incursion (the watch still operated normally).

I plan to upgrade to a Aerospace Evo Night Mission, and certainly plan to take that diving as well. Should I reconsider that? Are the newer Aerospace Evos less watertight?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
HLR wrote:

I've recently started SCUBA diving, and I've worn my trusty Aerospace on every dive (up to about 70 dives now). Most dives are down to 50-60 feet, but I've done a few wreck dives up to 100 feet.

My movement recently died (well, lots of LCD panel pixels died), so the watch is back to the AD for a replacement movement, but I'm sure there was no water incursion (the watch still operated normally).

I plan to upgrade to a Aerospace Evo Night Mission, and certainly plan to take that diving as well. Should I reconsider that? Are the newer Aerospace Evos less watertight?

Thanks.

You’ll be fine with the Evo.

HLR likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:50 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

HLR wrote:

Thanks.
I suggest you go for the newer EVO

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 28 posts
I believe only M1 is safe to use its pushers under water, but still not the crown. Every action with the crown in wet conditions can lead to water ingress and internal damage. Basically now is a battle between AD`s honesty and yours. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:21 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

The experience and advice of many is don't risk it - as i found to my cost. Never risked it with my new watch brand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:13 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 174 posts
Quite frankly, although I do sympathise with your problem, I would never wear an Aerospace in the water. Of course, it goes without saying that I would never wear a Navitimer near water. Yes, the Aerospace has a pressure (static) @ 100 mts., & Navi' @ 30 mts, but if you do a little research on water resistance/proofness across various brands, not just Breitling you will get the 'gist' of what you would accept as normal function/performance. I have a lovely Tutima Grand Classic cal Val 7750 43mm rated @ 100 mts, but there is no way I would swim in the sea with it. Maybe a slow breast-stroke in a swimming pool, but that's about it. My SO 44, on the other hand, well that could go swimming/diving all day long. The Aerospace really should be in the 'air' not the sea/swimming pool if you see what I mean.
Hope everything works out though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

New member here too - also first post.
I have a 2007 Aerospace, owned since new, I have worn it many times scuba diving.
My depths are anywhere from 20-40 metres, and the watch has functioned perfectly.
Other than the all too frequent battery changes, and occasional service, as a daily worn watch
it keeps superb time, perhaps a couple of seconds out every 6 months.
Great forum by the way, very informative. Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
DieselE wrote:
MartC wrote:
From your first post I get the impression the AD changed the battery themselves rather than sending it to Breitling. I'm pretty sure AD's are allowed to do that, perhaps only some of them. Price sounds about right, I've seen a previous invoice for £65 for an aerospace battery change.

I hope Breitling will be more sympathetic with your case than they have been with other water ingress cases.

They did change it themselves mate (they sent it to Breitling the previous time).

Cant help but feel I'm going to be shafted here and have to write the watch off. I've done a search here, but do you know of other water ingress cases I could view or checkout please?

Thanks

D

Yes I do. So first I would also second for a breitling the working depth is like 1/3 the rated depth. Which I know sounds rough but it's the same thing with straps and such you want a working range and a maximum.

Most of the water ingress cases fall into four categories

1) Low WR watches used in water. The 30m and 50m can get wet. 100m is swimming to me, 300m (or more) is a water sport breitling scuba jet skiis, water slides, cliff diving, whatever. (tudor and rolex and some certified diving watches are different and can be worn at the stated depth, e.g. a 100m gmt master is fine for almost anything, and a 200m tudor is a diving watch).

2) Use of pushers under water in anything other than M2000 (or daytona but that is "pushing it")

3) Washing hands/wet then setting time

4) Older watch gaskets/pitting/etc excessive moisture (e.g. tropical life)

Last edited by coltstrong on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:19 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
Limited Edition wrote:
New member here too - also first post.
I have a 2007 Aerospace, owned since new, I have worn it many times scuba diving.
My depths are anywhere from 20-40 metres, and the watch has functioned perfectly.
Other than the all too frequent battery changes, and occasional service, as a daily worn watch
it keeps superb time, perhaps a couple of seconds out every 6 months.
Great forum by the way, very informative. Thanks to all.

good data point. thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:14 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 9 posts
DieselE wrote:
They pressure tested it dry and wet and told me its is fine - all seals good to 5 bar and its perfectly watertight - even with the crown pulled out.

If an AD actually said that to me (the part in bold), I'd never shop with that AD again. Now the real question. Where you that gullible that you:

a. actually believed the nonsense that your watch would be watertight even with the crown pulled out.

b. screwed up and swam with the crown pulled out?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:29 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

So, "waterproof" can mean "you can get rained on or drop it in water, but don't go swim with it"?
That's good to know... And does anyone have feedback regarding the Navitimer B01, could I swim with it? If I can't, it isn't a catastrophe, I'll just wear my old dinosaur (a 1987 vintage Vostok Amphibia) and keep my B01 for the skies instead of the depths.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
MiG_Foxbat wrote:
So, "waterproof" can mean "you can get rained on or drop it in water, but don't go swim with it"?
That's good to know... And does anyone have feedback regarding the Navitimer B01, could I swim with it? If I can't, it isn't a catastrophe, I'll just wear my old dinosaur (a 1987 vintage Vostok Amphibia) and keep my B01 for the skies instead of the depths.

Well there's no such thing as "waterproof", only water resistant. As I said in my first post in this thread, it's all about static water pressure (which is what watch manufacturers base their ratings on) vs "dynamic" pressure (which is much more difficult to quantify, and therefore why watch manufacturers don't try to!). See this link for what you should expect in the real word from the ratings - https://www.breitlingsource.com/article ... ance.shtml

For a Navitimer B01, with a 30m WR, you're well advised to avoid water completely.

Site Moderator