Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Gents,
I recently found a 1968 Breitling GMT ref. 812 that had been sitting in a safe deposit box for 30+ years. My dad must have purchased it on one of his tours to Viet Nam aboard USS Forrestal in 1969-70. The watch is beautiful and runs like a top, and the case is beautiful. The dial looks like it has freckled, or has dots of dust dispersed on the dial. I'm not sure if this is the tritium on the hour numbers breaking down or something else all together. How difficult would it be to find an OEM replacement dial, as I don't want to have this refinished. He also had a really neat 1968 or 1969 Navitimer, which is in equally nice condition. I have read lots of articles on the forum, but nothing addresses my problem. I would appreciate any advice, as my local Breitling dealer has none to offer, other than refinishing the dial??

Many Thanks,
Zeke

Last edited by Capt Zeke on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:46 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Capt Zeke wrote:
The dial looks like it has freckled, or has dots of dust dispersed on the dial. I'm not sure if this is the tritium on the hour numbers breaking down or something else all together. How difficult would it be to find an OEM replacement dial, as I don't want to have this refinished. He also had a really neat 1968 or 1969 Navitimer, which is in equally nice condition. I have read lots of articles on the forum, but nothing addresses my problem. I would appreciate any advice, as my local Breitling dealer has none to offer, other than refinishing the dial??

I would have a watchmaker look at it to ensure there is no loose material floating around under the crystal. If that is the case, the "freckle" or "starry" patina is just degradation of the dial, and I suggest you leave it exactly as it is and wear it happily as a great heirloom from your Dad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
let me second that, please leave the dial as is. make sure the watch is serviced by a competent watchmaker before you use it on a regular basis, these watches are very rare and have only been produced in very small quantities, finding an original replacement dial is highly unlikely, refinishing the dial would destroy both character and monetary value.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:07 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Would be good to see pictures

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 26 posts
Nice one leave it as is. Beautiful. They call it “star dust” dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you for the insight and advice regarding my dial. I need to find someone reputable to go through the watch, and ensure she is in top condition. I wound it and checked all the functions, and they all seen to work well. after 2 days, the watch is about +8-9 seconds fast. My dad bought me a new Breitling Navitimer when I got my Navy wings after flight school. His old Navitimer 812 looks so HUGE when placed side by side to mine or his old 806. I LOVE ALL OF THEM VERY MUCH, each for different reasons. One day they will be handed down to my son or grandson. For those who requested pictures, here are a couple taken with my cellphone. I ordered a light box to take better pictures to document for insurance purposes, and will post those. WARNING: I am a Pilot, not a photographer...... I have seen some amazing photographs on this forum and am awestruck at their beauty.

PS. I would love to hear from you guys about where to send this watch for proper servicing, as there is no one qualified here in Pensacola, FL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:44 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
Here's mine just back from watchmaker took over 1 yearr to complete, all NOS parts. A pic of the condition from the day I first took delivery to today, and a pic of my spare original dial. I have lusted after this watch for over 15 years, now I have it, I will NEVER part with it, its my precious, so goes to show that all good things come in time.
Attachment:
B1.jpg

Attachment:
breit1.jpg

Attachment:
Breit2.jpg

Attachment:
Breit3.jpg

Attachment:
Breit4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
Attachment:
Breit5.jpg

Attachment:
Breit6.jpg

My wonderful patina on my original dial, unfortunately I simply cant source an 812 case back so kept the original, as all engravings and markings had vanished, I elected to have it polished.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capt Zeke likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Questions for the experts:

Breitling, along with Theresa Heist of Horological Services, recently told me that a NOS replacement dial may be available for my Dad's GMT Ref 812. Does replacing a deteriorated dial with a Breitling NOS replacement affect the collectability of my watch? I worry that the dial will continue to break down, and effect the movement negatively. I thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Zeke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:25 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Capt Zeke wrote:
Questions for the experts:

Breitling, along with Theresa Heist of Horological Services, recently told me that a NOS replacement dial may be available for my Dad's GMT Ref 812. Does replacing a deteriorated dial with a Breitling NOS replacement affect the collectability of my watch? I worry that the dial will continue to break down, and effect the movement negatively. I thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Zeke

You can end up with a watch that has a perfect dial, and then the rest of the watch is bashed and worn, and then that looks very odd. If you can keep you original dial you can always switch it back, but I don’t think either of those groups will return your original parts to you. Whether it effects value really is about how bad it is to start with, and different buyers value different things. But it’s correct to say a good condition vintage original watch has more value to a collector than one that has replacement parts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:17 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
My 2¢ worth: Since joining the forum not that long ago, I have already seen a couple of vintage Breitlings that were sent for repair. One in particular allegedly claims to have sent his $13K vintage Breitling to a large repair facility in PA and was rewarded with a $4K watch when it was done. Unrelated, I have also seen posted vintage watches re-lumed using bright white luminescent material. I would have used old, yellowed radium to match the original lume material.

My pre-806 Navitimer only needed the sub-hands reattached, movement cleaned, crystal polished, and any loose detritus blown from between the crystal and dial. Unfortunately my watchmaker and friend passed away 2 years ago at 93 so I contacted the same PA company as well as one in NYC. Both started telling me what they thought my watch needed and dictating protocol with little interest in what I wanted done to the watch. Basically the deal was: send us your watch, we will determine what it needs, take approximately 6 months, cost you $600 - $1000, and return the watch to you. I don’t doubt they are great mechanics for modern watches, but for vintage pieces? And what about communication and my requirements? My feeling is: my watch, my money, my decision.

IMHO I would seek out a small, old school, well respected watchmaker that will work with you and perform what is required using original period matching parts if required with nothing you didn’t ask for. Several of the best Breitling minds are here on the forum. Follow the advice of the knowledgeable forum members (I have) and you won’t be disappointed. Several forum members seem to have good options in Europe. I have not found another private watchmaker here in the states yet so my Nav remains as is. Although others have had no issues, I hesitate to send expensive items overseas again as I had to have Interpol intervene to resolve an issue. My feeling is that you need a craftsman, not a mechanic. Best of luck to you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
sound advice by Dave @buddman

@Vintbreit: this is the "large repair facility in PA" ;) that's where Mark & Theresa live & have their small workshop

1 watchmaker, 1 apprentice. and Mark will do precisely what you request, although he may suggest NOS or service parts as surprisingly many customers want their watches "as new", he won't force you to have these parts installed, he'll do what you decide as long as it's technically feasible; he almost exclusively works on vintage pieces.
not cheap, not very fast, but highly competent.

2 people like this post.