Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mystery to Me Navitimer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Ok Breitling aficionados. I just received my estimate back from a well known Vintage Service Provider and I am thoroughly confused. I was told I had a Breitling Navitimer 806 serial#948xxx which pits it as a 1962 Vintage. Through my research, this watch pictures below is not a 1962. I received it from the widow of the original owner. Any help would be appreciated. I was not aware they made a black face AOPA in 1962. So what do I have? Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Mystery to Me Navitimer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:16 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Pkp297 wrote:
Ok Breitling aficionados. I just received my estimate back from a well known Vintage Service Provider and I am thoroughly confused. I was told I had a Breitling Navitimer 806 serial#948xxx which pits it as a 1962 Vintage. Through my research, this watch pictures below is not a 1962. I received it from the widow of the original owner. Any help would be appreciated. I was not aware they made a black face AOPA in 1962. So what do I have? Thanks!

The generally accepted serial number table puts your serial number squarely in 1962. Forum posts put the transition from all-black to reverse-panda from anywhere between 1959 to the early-1960s; however, history might be better known now...and as I recently learnt, anomalies arise at times.

Attachment:
IMG_2300.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4970.JPG

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f39/breitling-navitimer-brief-history-most-famous-breitling-all-25057.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pkp297 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
no mystery here, looks perfectly correct for a 1962, this was the year of transition to the panda, but all black were still produced.

Pkp297 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:04 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
"Through my research, this watch pictures below is not a 1962"

Why?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:15 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
buddman wrote:
"Through my research, this watch pictures below is not a 1962"

Why?

The first indicator is my watch does not have the Breitling name above the AOPA logo. It looked to me to be an earlier version of the Navitimer and not a Mark 3. I go by the pictures online. It seems some of the timelines put out are not definitive breaks in production series or years. So yes my research led me to believe it is an earlier Navitimer. I could not find a early to mid 60’s without the airplanes or the Breitling name. Also the White dials seem to be a trademark of newer Navitimers and mine is all black.

Sorry for my ignorance

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:32 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Pkp297 wrote:
The first indicator is my watch does not have the Breitling name above the AOPA logo. It looked to me to be an earlier version of the Navitimer and not a Mark 3. I go by the pictures online. It seems some of the timelines put out are not definitive breaks in production series or years. So yes my research led me to believe it is an earlier Navitimer. I could not find a early to mid 60’s without the airplanes or the Breitling name. Also the White dials seem to be a trademark of newer Navitimers and mine is all black.

Those are reasonable observations, but I humbly suggest you need to up your research game. You should have a read of Kurt Broendum's excellent website, which even a cursory Internet search should have found.

http://kurt-b.com