The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:33 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Such a general and unanswerable question - probably best to do your own research and buy what you like as everyone has different aesthetics. Lots on articles on-line about buying your first watch. you've posted here in a vintage forum, so a bit of a minefield for a new collector and probably wouldn't recommend that. In any case, if you post on a Breitling Board, people are going to tell you they like Breitling! All those brands have good build quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
JovintoJain wrote:
While I understand styling is subjective, I am looking to hear if between these 3 brands (and specific models), one has an edge over another in movement, build quality, etc. As well as personal experience from people that own watches of these brands.

For reference, I am looking for something that could be worn with a suit or casually, and in the $5k-8k range (preferably new).

You've posted in the vintage forum, but say you'd like new. Could you please clarify?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
They’re all very close now in terms of build quality and movements. If you’re looking for something that can actually be an investment and appreciate in value then Rolex is the only choice. If you’re looking for something new, then your price range probably won’t land you a Rolex. I think Omega is doing an outstanding job with their in-house METAS certified movements. For $4k you can get the new Omega Seamaster Diver 300 and it’s arguably the best value on the watch market. Ceramic dial, ceramic bezel, in-house movement, glide lock style clasp, absolutely insane value. Wear it to the office, out to dinner or on the beach. Versatile AF! I hated this model for years until I tried the new one and it blew me away.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:45 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I had to delete the first post in this thread due to OP adding spamming links in his signature (that I can't remove without deleting the entire post). Unfortunatley the thread doesn't make a lot of sense now, but keeping the thread for Serg's pics!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
mfserge wrote:
They’re all very close now in terms of build quality and movements. If you’re looking for something that can actually be an investment and appreciate in value then Rolex is the only choice. If you’re looking for something new, then your price range probably won’t land you a Rolex. I think Omega is doing an outstanding job with their in-house METAS certified movements. For $4k you can get the new Omega Seamaster Diver 300 and it’s arguably the best value on the watch market. Ceramic dial, ceramic bezel, in-house movement, glide lock style clasp, absolutely insane value. Wear it to the office, out to dinner or on the beach. Versatile AF! I hated this model for years until I tried the new one and it blew me away.

Serge is the YM in your current lineup?? Looks freaking awesome! Was looking at adding a blue dial YM to my lineup in the near future as that seems much easier to get than a BLRO SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
Yup the YM is in my current lineup. It’s much nicer in person; I’ve never considered a YM until I saw one in person and how much nicer the case is than a sub or gmt. The case is similar in profile to a Daytona. The platinum bezel looks odd in Photos but it’s incredible in the flesh. . Love the YM!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
mfserge wrote:
Yup the YM is in my current lineup. It’s much nicer in person; I’ve never considered a YM until I saw one in person and how much nicer the case is than a sub or gmt. The case is similar in profile to a Daytona. The platinum bezel looks odd in Photos but it’s incredible in the flesh. . Love the YM!!

Yeah I agree with you on the YM being beautiful in person. I like the Sub/GMT case shape as well, but the YM's case is a little more "refined" (just as it should be).

I really wanted that model, right up until I tried it on and found it wore just a little too small for me. I know it's got a completely different look with the ceramic bezel, but I can't wait to try the new 42mm YM. Hopefully they'll bring a version out in SS within the next couple of years.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:27 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Driver8 wrote:
mfserge wrote:

Yeah I agree with you on the YM being beautiful in person. I like the Sub/GMT case shape as well, but the YM's case is a little more "refined" (just as it should be).

I really wanted that model, right up until I tried it on and found it wore just a little too small for me. I know it's got a completely different look with the ceramic bezel, but I can't wait to try the new 42mm YM. Hopefully they'll bring a version out in SS within the next couple of years.

Drive I think you’ll really like the 42 YM. It looks amazing in person.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:23 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Questions like these do not have any conclusive answers. It is like comparing different cars or motorcycles. Each and every one of them is good in their own way. What matter at the end, is your goal and purpose. When it comes to the abovementioned watches, all of them are established giants with some of the most historic timepieces under their roofs. Breitling has the Navitimer, Omega has the Speedmaster, while the Rolex submariner is a personal favorite. Omega and Breitling start at a lower price point, whereas the Rolex Submariner begins at a higher price point. Do your own research before you make final buy. All of the brands mentioned are great watchmakers with a lot to offer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:23 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
In terms of build quality I think they are in the same league. The 904L over 316L hype is almost pure advertising, I do not really care. As a chronograph and a "functions" guy who prefers normal-size watches that means 39-42 mm for me with a sweet spot a 40-41 mm, I don't like that Rolex does not have a date (even more a day-date) model in the Daytona range and even not a turning bezel. In the Omega range I could never warm up to the useless-for-me visible Helium valve on every single Seamaster (here the Sea-Dweller or the Avenger Seawolf are nicer valve versions) and using often the count-up bezel I would have to tolerate the valve if wanting a turning bezel... The smallest turning-bezel in-house Omega chronograph is 44 mm right from now. And I prefer screw-down pushers to "underwater usable" ones: as there are plenty of stories about leakage even for the latter ones, it is good to have a proof against unwanted push when wet.
Regarding Breitlings: I love the classic subdial layout on the B01. They used to have a 41 mm Chronomat which had a turning bezel with lume pip (which the Yacht-Master does not have) and a date, having the blackeye-blue dial version too which is the perfect color for me. I strongly hope that Chronomats in similar size range (40-41 mm) will re-appear some time. What I do not like: the escapement: here the other two brands perform better right now, the El Primero-like date placing at 4:30 and the simple folding clasp. Regarding the clasp I upgraded mine as a "homework". Regarding the escapement I strongly hope that with the patents (held by Rolex, Patek and Swatch Group) of Si parts expiring next year Breitling will soon follow suit, hopefully also with switching to balance bridge from balance cock (no info on this, just a pure hope from me since a few years back). Regarding the date window: placing it elsewhere has already begun (see the new Premier) and I hope too that a day-date and/or a full calendar (like the Valjoux 72C or the 7751 on e. g. the Montbrillant Datora) will also be born/reborn.
Till all these come to reality I love and enjoy my Chronomat 41 with getting the most wrist-time among my watches.
Sorry for being so long. Best,
Robert
Attachment:
62268865_331152697542125_1469728467137331200_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Robertus on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chronomat01LE likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 6 posts
There is never an ending to this question, I believe it depends on personal taste and satisfaction for me I’ll go with the Rolex.

success500 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I believe the Breitling is very underrated.we all have our different tastes when it comes to picking that perfect time piece. So this battle of the titans will never have a winner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:35 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 15 posts
Rolex is my all time favorite, it's a brand that never disappoints.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:51 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Mattewlaird wrote:
Rolex is my all time favorite, it's a brand that never disappoints.
It’s hard to disagree with this statement

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:22 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 4 posts
I like all three brands, and have room in my collection for each. I do not currently own an Omega but have in the past. I like Breitling chronographs better than the others. I have the Breitling Avenger B01 Chronograph.