Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:34 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
[Advice]

First of all, let me start by saying that I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to my preference on timepiece aesthetic. I can appreciate both sides of the spectrum; if you love the utilitarian simplicity of Nomos, that's cool. I am a designer, so something so clean is appealing. They're a little too cold for me though. If you dig on the slide-rule, multi-functional dial of big, purposeful professional tool watches, I get that – though it's just too much for my sensibilities. I fall somewhere in the middle. I also don't really like watches that are bigger than ~42-43mm for the most part. Anything more is like wearing a sundial on your wrist. The watch is wearing you at that point. (It seems like some poeple REALLY want you to know they have a watch on.) I'm really more of a 36mm (think vintage Datejust) to 40mm kind of guy. My daily wearer at this point is a 39mm Omega. Oh – I generally don't like watches that have large number/roman numeral markers in the dial either. (Like those Rolexes with all big roman numerals; I don't get that. Too stuffy.) I usually prefer simple stick markers (again, Max Bill, Nomos, you got me there). I really like a 1/60th index, as well. Yeah, I'm kind of picky for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
I am a tool guy so I like the Breitling brand. I was going to expand out a bit and buy a Rolex but all of the SS models are impossible to get so I am probably not going to chase one of those down as I refuse to pay over MSRP for anything. Plus the Rolex does not look or feel any better than the Breitlings from what I can tell so I think you are just buying the brand. Breitling makes a very high quality, mass produced timepiece in whatever size you want for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
You posted on a Breitling aficionado website so I will keep my recommendations to the Breitling brand. If you are looking for a sports watch that has a "clean: dial with minute indexes that is well balanced then look at a 42mm Superocean Heritage II. Comes in a multitude of colors that should please most everyone and can be dressed up or down by simply changing the strap. Comes with a little Rolex DNA as the movement is supplied by Tudor. If you want a dressier watch then check out the Premier lineup, from 40-42 mm the Premier line has enough watches with various complications to please anyone. Good luck with your search and don't forget to post some pics when you make a decision!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:07 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 9 posts
superpop wrote:
I am a tool guy so I like the Breitling brand. I was going to expand out a bit and buy a Rolex but all of the SS models are impossible to get so I am probably not going to chase one of those down as I refuse to pay over MSRP for anything. Plus the Rolex does not look or feel any better than the Breitlings from what I can tell so I think you are just buying the brand. Breitling makes a very high quality, mass produced timepiece in whatever size you want for the most part.
Yeah cannot beat the tough build quality of Breitlings. And the new Breitlings are more refined, even better imo

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:36 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 86 posts
I am more into the older, 2000 +-, era of the Breitling line. I have one Omega and that is the Speedmaster sandwich to go with my 40mm Colt auto, 43mm Navitimer, 44mm Blackbird and Steelfish. I run the gamut from the simple face of the Colt and Speedmaster to the busy Nav and BB. It just depends on the day and my mood. I would like a Sub but they are way over priced and I like my Steelfish just as much for different reasons. You have your reasons and everyone else has theirs. There is no correct answer. For me and my eyes I don't go any smaller than 40 and no larger than 44. Just my preference. Let us know what you do and post a photo of it if you do.
Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:33 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 18 posts
I am an admirer of all types of watches, From cheapy’s to higher end watches. I must say my favourite watch of all time is a Breitling navitimer. I am not sure how I feel about the Breitlight pieces and some of the newer dials that are hitting the market. Definitely not a fan of them losing the wings on the chronomat and navitimer. I wear a seawolf daily, large watch but wears smaller I feel. I am 5’8, but broader sized so smaller an 40mm looks small I feel on me. I think the sweet spot is 43mm for me. I used to have a 46mm navi world, loved it. I think Breitling watches are built nicely and their straps are very comfortable. All in all Breitling fanboy here, grail is a rose gold Breitling Navi 01 limited 200pc to match my steel one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:27 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
You cannot imho have too big a watch so Avenger range for me, SA S/Steel, DLC BS & 50mm Avenger Hurricane. Next in my gunfight is an Emergency 2. I like some other Watch makes and appreciate them all, No desire to own a Rolex though, Always see them as a watch for an older generation plus they are just too small for me. AP or Panerai I like the look of. Dont know how their maintenance prices compare but I happened across a maintenance service that was done under warranty in 09 on my SS version, The watch was gaining time so the regulator was changed. I didnt pay it but it was £115. In a decade their service prices have more than quadrupled which is the disappointing part.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Alol wrote:
You cannot imho have too big a watch so Avenger range for me, SA S/Steel, DLC BS & 50mm Avenger Hurricane. Next in my gunfight is an Emergency 2. I like some other Watch makes and appreciate them all, No desire to own a Rolex though, Always see them as a watch for an older generation plus they are just too small for me. AP or Panerai I like the look of. Dont know how their maintenance prices compare but I happened across a maintenance service that was done under warranty in 09 on my SS version, The watch was gaining time so the regulator was changed. I didnt pay it but it was £115. In a decade their service prices have more than quadrupled which is the disappointing part.

Just out of pure curiosity, may I ask how old you are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Old enough to qualify for wearing a Rolex...... lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I can pull max 46mm off, but dont think I will be going that big anymore. My seawolfs as big as it gets for now. Next will be a 43mm in a precious metal for me, and my collection might be closed after that i think.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Shelby12 wrote:
I can pull max 46mm off, but dont think I will be going that big anymore. My seawolfs as big as it gets for now.

Similar to me these days.

I've owned watches as large as 48mm Bentleys (and as small as a 38mm Seiko), but my sweet-spot used to be 44mm as I felt that just sat the best on my 7.75" wrist. But these days I'm finding I enjoy wearing 41-43mm watches the most; they just feel more comfortable, aren't generally too thick (so go with any kind of attire - casual or dress shirt), and they just tend to look a little less "brash".

My smallest watch is my Rolex BLNR at 40mm but the 'supercase' thicker lugs help that wear more like a 41mm, and while obviously a lot depends on case shape and how a watch wears instead of just the nominal dimensions, I couldn't imagine going any smaller than that.

Site Moderator

Shelby12 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:55 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I am ok with watches of any sizes as long as it's wearable on my tiny wrist. It's more of what you expect from them.

When it comes to dress watches, I prefer refined and sleek pieces. I am personally impressed with pieces like Piaget Altiplano even though Piaget is not just purely into horology business. When it comes to sports watches, it's not about big or small to me but an appropriate size to fit the necessary information into the dial so that it optimizes legibility, what the watch is meant for(air, sea or land), and what has been done to facilitate the functionality meant for its intent.

I love Breitling because many of their pieces(before Kerns era) were designed with its intent in mind before moving into aesthetics aspect. Many watch lovers dislike Breitling because they tend to use their usual method of judging a luxury watch to do the same for Breitling(eg, value, retention of design, classic and timeless look, how it looks on their wrist, etc). IMO, you cannot use the usual way to appreciate a Breitling like you do for other brands. I tend to zoom into details(especially the dial) on sports watches to see what the brand does to optimize its functionality and eligibility for its intent. So far only Breitling is one of the very very few that really focus a lot on its use before aesthetics come into play. You have to appreciate Breitlings as a tool more than a jewellery first(eg, for aviation watches, imagine yourself as a pilot, using the watch functions in a plane) , before appreciating how the brand finally tries to touch up certain elements to instil aesthetics into the piece to balance form and function.

Rolex is in my opinion, targeted for civilian use, even though they are "designed" for specific professionals. They throw one or two designs that the specific sport will use and classify them as the watch for that particular purpose. I believe they understand that most professionals will not use the watch for the specific purpose and so they just target at the basic elements. They are good at doing the minimum and doing them right. It's a brand that I desire to get but after I get it, I don't really feel like wearing it. It's beautiful, it's classic, it's timeless, but.... it feels generic to me. They do strive on many technical aspects(patents) but.... I don't get the feeling that I do when I wear a Breitling. In fact for my country, Breitling is not popular and you hardly see people wearing Breitlings. I only encountered a friend who recognized my Chronomat so far. But whenever I wore my BLNR, I get comments wherever I go(where I bought it, how much...etc). It feels like a desired jewellery more than a tool to me.

What do I get next? Still a Rolex;p Because I realize overtime that I do not have the financial capability to just buy what I like. Even though resale value should not be a consideration factor, but its outrageous value just cannot be ignored. Servicing is also one important consideration that I think it's a rare brand that you do not have to service as often.

One thing about Breitling(can be good and bad) is their frequent face lifts. They keep the iconic elements so that they are still recognizable but you see major differences on the aesthetics at a glance. It is bad because many watch lovers prefer retention of design, that they define as timeless. It is good because you don't keep seeing the same watch on other wrists often. It is more special, especially if you are passing the watch to your descendants as family heirloom.

What is my view on the current Breitling? I think it's getting better and evolving, especially in the eyes of the mass. My best wishes to them. But...I just personally dislike the new boutique design, the diversion from the aviation image to the "motorcycle" image. It's nice but.... that overall image.. appears downgraded IMO because I no longer get that "prestige impression" that I used to feel when I walked into a Breitling boutique. Perhaps they want to make their boutique more "friendly like" so that more people will walk in. I know many people do not dare to walk into boutiques if they look too prestigious. The timepieces now are more "friendly". Even though I am not motivated to get any of them, they will definitely appeal to more people out there.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:41 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

:lingsrock:
Very nicely said!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 43 posts
I have owned watches from many brands...more than I can count(over 60 in the last few years). They ranged in street price from $500 to $13000. I am what you would call a flipper. I get tired of watches fast. I’ve owned multiple Omegas, Breitlings, a couple of Rolexes, a bunch of solid gold watches, a JLC Navy Seal and a whole lot more.

My favorite watch out of all the ones I have owned is the Navitimer 01. Especially the reverse Panda. I owned that piece for almost 4 years and sold it only to take care of something. I’m about to buy it back. The longest I’ve kept a watch before that is 6 months. The Navitimer never got old to me. I still enjoyed looking at it after all these years. The details on the watch are amazing. A lot goes into the Navitimer from the dial to the movement. No other watch is as recognizable!. It has been my most complimented watch I have ever owned. Like the gentleman above me said, Rolex to me felt generic. It’s a nice watch no doubt but I wasn’t enjoying it as much as I thought I would. It felt a little boring to me. At the end of the day, but whatever you like whether it be a Rolex, Breitling or whatever.