Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 37 posts
dlack wrote:
DreamWatcher wrote:
dlack wrote:
Point proved, yet again. Remarkable.

proven, i guess...

please rephrase "Quite the insecure group" to "Quite the insecure, but literate, group"...

See: https://www.dictionary.com/e/proved-vs-proven/

Apology accepted.

it varies by source but i'll give you that one!

Mark Twain

- -- - -- -

Navitimer World
Avenger Seawolf
SuperOcean
Crosswind Special
Headwind
Montbrillant Datora
SuperOcean Heritage 46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:49 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 86 posts
Sinn makes some beautiful quality watches. That said, a Sinn will always be a Sinn and no matter what legal, corporate, or other issues happen or have happened it will never be a Breitling Navitimer. You can buy a Ferrari kit car that from a distance of 20' looks like a Ferrari but it will always be a wanna-be. I like Sinn watches but if you want a Navi it is going to have to be a Breitling. Lots of Submariner look-a-likes out there but if you want a Rolex you are going to have to pay the price. I have no argument with the OP and I have nothing against a Sinn but a Navi is always going to be a Breitling. The original.
Frank.

Robertus likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Helderberg wrote:
Sinn makes some beautiful quality watches. That said, a Sinn will always be a Sinn and no matter what legal, corporate, or other issues happen or have happened it will never be a Breitling Navitimer. You can buy a Ferrari kit car that from a distance of 20' looks like a Ferrari but it will always be a wanna-be. I like Sinn watches but if you want a Navi it is going to have to be a Breitling. Lots of Submariner look-a-likes out there but if you want a Rolex you are going to have to pay the price. I have no argument with the OP and I have nothing against a Sinn but a Navi is always going to be a Breitling. The original.
Frank.

Absolutely agreed Frank...., on ALL counts. :thumbsup:

It's a funny old thread this (especially from a moderation standpoint!). I think the OP was almost asking for a poor response from the membership, given the fact it's a dedicated Breitling forum (and the fact there are some highly knowledgeable vintage experts here), but I also think he's been treated perhaps a little harshly by the membership...., but no-where near enough to consider locking the thread or anything...., plus I think a bit of controversy now and then stimulates some interesting debate at times! :wink:

Site Moderator

4 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 8 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Helderberg wrote:
Frank.

It's a funny old thread this (especially from a moderation standpoint!). I think the OP was almost asking for a poor response from the membership, given the fact it's a dedicated Breitling forum (and the fact there are some highly knowledgeable vintage experts here), but I also think he's been treated perhaps a little harshly by the membership...., but no-where near enough to consider locking the thread or anything...., plus I think a bit of controversy now and then stimulates some interesting debate at times! :wink:

Thank you, Moderator. I'm the OP. Certainly no harm was intended. Indeed, in retrospect, having considered the many colorful responses, I recognize that this was probably not the best sub-forum in which to initiate a Sinn discussion, as much as I agree that stirring up a bit of fiery debate does provoke thought, at the risk of slings and arrows. Notwithstanding my comments regarding the Sinn 903, I've actually owned many Breitlings over the years and have always been a big fan of the Navitimer in particular...still am. :lingsrock: Appreciate your understanding.

Last edited by dlack on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
I share your Sinn enthusiasm, after all Helmut Sinn was instructor pilot during and after WWII, and his company was maintaining Luftwaffe aircraft clocks. He made some damn good pilot watches like Sinn 103 that I bought new in 2003 and will never sell - it has most of my flying hours.

As I wrote earlier I had Sinn 903 not because it looks like Navi but because it is a very nice Sinn and I appreciated it for that. It was a nice watch but crown at 10 was no-go for me. I sold it to another Sinn enthusiast.

While traveling with a ferry years ago I met a German tourist that had Sinn 903 on his wrist and I complimented it thinking it was another watch enthusiast. But, he said he bought it because it was cheaper then Navitimer. It was wrong answer for me. We know better than that.

Those are two nice but different watches with different background and no need to compare them. Wear your Breitling or Sinn proudly because it is what it is - a nice watch.

:lingsrock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:47 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 40 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Helderberg wrote:
Frank.

Good to see a more balanced response, but I'd say more than a "little"; some responses are simply rude in my opinion, and regardless of an individual's knowledge, one can still disagree politely.

Steve