The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:28 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 18 posts
I sent mine in last year paid $950 all in, which included one way shipping. My dealer tried to charge 90$ shipping both ways, and I told them I would pay half only. They didn’t argue with that which led me to believe if I was admenent I would have only paid $900 for he service and taxes. When I picked it up the invoice I got was on my ad letterhead, and I requested the breitling copy. Which they sent me electronically after just like the estimate from breitling they sent me.

I think your dealer trying to make a couple bucks off you imo.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Such stories aren't making Breitling aftercare look very good. In an industry where competitors such as Omega send you a pre-paid fully insured package, or JLC are offering 8-year warranties, I do think they need to raise their game. BUK long had a good reputation, but there have been too many negative reports lately for comfort. In my own relatively simple case - full/overhaul service on an Aerospace, I had the same issue of having to fight for a simple service report/invoice, and the watch had to go back shortly afterwards when it stopped dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Bought my Navitimer in Sept 2014 and about 8 months ago started losing time. Has gotten worse and now was down to 15 seconds a day. sent it in to BUSA and just last week got quote back. Under warranty, no charge, full service. Replacing crown O-rings and second hand. 4 months from being out of warranty.

Can't complain. Quoted to have back by end of June, 30 days turnaround :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
jbr1952 wrote:
The authorized dealer is considered one of the top watch/jewelry places. Many prestigious brands. Breitling, Carier, IWC, Jaeger-Lecoultre, Patek Philippe, Rolex, Tissot, Tag Heuer, etc., etc.

Regardless, I'm not getting the attention I think I deserve. Incidentally, I've purchased other jewelry and items from this same dealer. You'd think a regular, repeat customer should account for something.

I still have not received a satisfactory response and still not received a copy of the quote from Breitling. And obviously no explanation as to why or why not is my watch covered by the warranty. It's been two days since the sales rep emailed me that she is "working with her watch manager" apparently to formulate a response to me. I still have not received a copy of the written quote from Breitling.

I intend to go to the dealer in person tomorrow to find out what's going on.

When you are given a quote in excess of $1,000, it is not unreasonable to expect a complete and detailed explanation. I've watched the video on the Breitling website describing what is included in the "complete service." It is certainly "complete" and appears to cover everything. I cannot imagine why my quote exceeds that normal service. And I cannot understand why the dealer is not being transparent.

Here's the thing. Breitling watches are expensive. I've now discovered--which should not come as a surprise--their service is also very expensive. I've no choice. If I want to enjoy my Breitling, then you gotta pay for the service. But at least treat me with respect and explain--in detail--what and why you are charging me these fees in excess of the normal charge and also explain why the warranty does not cover my mechanical failure.

You'd think the local authorized dealer is my advocate since I purchased the watch from them. That is not the case here.

Any update on this situation? I recently sent some watches to BUSA and after a period of time they wrote back and requested copies of the electronic warranty card, I would have assumed that all of that information was available to them. Rather than argue with them, I provided all of the info requested and all of the services, some basic, some complete, were done under warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:00 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Here is an update since my original post and following my earlier subsequent posts.

I am very disappointed and unhappy with the whole situation.

To recap. I first contacted my authorized dealer in March about the fact that the movement failed on my watch. This is the AD from which I purchased the watch about 4 years ago. They said they could fix it and gave me a quote of between $595 and $695. I left my watch with them. A couple of weeks later, they called me and said they needed to send the watch to BUSA. A couple of weeks after that, the AD calls me with a quote from BUSA of $1,020.

I asked about warranty work and also asked about what was wrong with the watch. I called BUSA. They refused to discuss the watch with me. They said I had to go through my AD since that is who sent my watch in for repair. I called the AD and asked to see the written quote from BUSA and to be informed as to what is wrong with the watch.

The AD then tells me that BUSA said my watch passed all tests and was running fine and only needed a complete service, with is recommended every 4-6 years. When I checked online, the cost per the BUSA website states the complete service is $850. No explanation as to why the cost for complete service for me is over $1,000.

I then met personally with the manager of the watch department at the AD. I basically had 2 questions I wanted answers to.

1. I asked to see the written quote from BUSA for the $1,020. The watch manager said there was no written quote and that BUSA never provides a written quote. He could not explain the quote from BUSA.

2. I asked about the warranty and why my watch is not covered. He said something about the fact that I was required to send the watch to BUSA after 2 years to be checked and since I failed to do that, the watch was no longer covered by warranty. He admitted it was the fault of the AD that they failed to tell me about the 2-year requirement. He seemed to say that he would not even ask about the warranty.

I then informed the watch manager to have BUSA return my watch inasmuch as the watch passed all tests and was running fine. I said I would send it in myself in a year or two for the complete service.

Five weeks later, the watch is received by the AD and the watch is not running. The movement is still bad. I asked the watch manager at the AD how is it that BUSA said my watch passed all tests when, in fact, the movement had failed. The watch manager simply said the BUSA is not thorough and they overlooked the problem by only doing a cursory inspection.

It's been 3 months since I have not had my watch. The AD said they will send the watch back to BUSA for complete service. It's going to be another 4-6 weeks. Probably more. The AD said they would honor their original cost estimate of $595-$695 and they would eat the difference from what BUSA will charge.

I still do not have an answer as to why the cost estimate from BUSA is what it is.

I still am told that the watch will not be covered by the warranty.

BUSA won't discuss my watch with me. I can't get any more answers.

This is not the way I feel I should be treated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Thanks for posting this jbr. It makes painful reading. Stories like this are disastrous for the brand, and one can only hope that in tandem with the hugely encouraging recent restyling (take a bow Fred) Breitling have a go at upgrading the aftercare.

I have not myself had the greatest experiences with Breitling UK - even though I always deal direct in order to try to avert these sorts of situations - and it has discouraged me from acquiring any more. Their competitors are raising their games - I have had great experiences with Rolex and Omega (who have invested hugely in the aftercare/service experience; JLC have just announced an eight-year warranty etc - and I hope that B follow suit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
The Breitling website states the following with respect to their warranty:

"Your Breitling watch or chronograph equipped with a mechanical Manufacture Breitling movement is covered by a five-year warranty (excluding all straps other than metal straps). The five-year warranty on the mechanical Manufacture Breitling movement is granted on condition that water resistance tests are performed every two years following the date of purchase by an authorized Breitling service center. These tests are conducted free of charge."

I find it surprising that they are invoking the fact that you did not have the water resistance test done as they reason for saying that the work is not covered under warranty without telling you that the reason for the failure is water related. No one has yet to tell you what is wrong with the watch. IMO if the failure is not water related they should be covering the repair.

It would appear that you have two options:
1. Let the work be completed by Breitling and pay only what the AD originally quoted you.
or
2. Take the watch back and then send it back to Breitling under your own name and then hope that the failure is not water resistance related. If it
is not water related then you might be able to convince them to repair the watch free of charge. (Not sure that they will agree) but they would
have to deal with you because you sent the watch in.

Keep in mind that if the complete service is done it will come with a one year warranty from BUSA. Before that warranty expires I would check and see if the watch is running within specs. If not, send it back and have it corrected under the one year warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

THA wrote:
Bought my Navitimer in Sept 2014 and about 8 months ago started losing time. Has gotten worse and now was down to 15 seconds a day. sent it in to BUSA and just last week got quote back. Under warranty, no charge, full service. Replacing crown O-rings and second hand. 4 months from being out of warranty.

Can't complain. Quoted to have back by end of June, 30 days turnaround :lingsrock:

Just got mine back today June 21, /starting to check plus or minus seconds a day now

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Its ridiculous that all those involved should behave in such a slippery and evasive manner rather than expedite the matter with transparency Quite shocking - you have my sympathies.

People who invest in these overpriced watches (guilty :)) deserve in return a high standard of service and care - and especially at a service cost for a wristwatch that genuinely costs more than a 6000 miles service for my V12 Aston Martin!!!! I conclude (using my own experience too) that Breitling and its agents often treat people with contempt, have no issue being cursory and evasive and care only about the money. All business wants your money of course but when charging such high entry costs and such high maintenance costs they should in return be giving similarly high end service and care. If my warrantied car was off the road they would loan me another one and thus be motivated to repair mine quickly - who wants to be making the payments for a purchase you cant use after all? Breitling would do well to up their game and quicken their turnaround and lose that air of arrogance of a monopoly - seen it too many times with them now.

Good luck mate - don't let them weasel out due to a water test clause when water ingress is not the issue (and they have effectively stated that in saying the watch is "ok") - its always great catch all for them though :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:08 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
Quick comment on that.

The 5 years warranty is an offer from Breitling, and in order to get it, you need to check the water tightness every 2 years after you bought it. Also, it has to be stamped in your warranty booklet.

The reason, why they want to charge you more than the actual service cost is that additional issues have been found, what are not covered by the 5 yrs warranty.

If you would have dealt directly with the Breitling Service, they would have had provided you with an official cost estimate and also a list of what has to be done/replaced and what of it is optional.

Since you went to your dealer, it seems that they are not willing to show you this document, for whatever reason.

Last edited by superj on Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:44 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Good explaination.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Breitling are like that in the UK. They are very reluctant to deal directly with the customer and everything has to go through the dealer. I like to fairly regularly swap straps which my dealer does foc as I have bought numerous ones off them. However I wanted to put my SA BS on a pro diver 3 with a deployment clasp. The AD do not stock the relevant items and Breitling do not issue them out to the AD here. Simply will buy a pair of ebay and get the AD to fit the strap/clasp.