The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:35 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I purchased a new Navitimer 01 (Chronography, Breitling Caliber) from an authorized dealer a 4 1/2 years ago. The watch now needs service.

I took the watch to the same dealer from which I purchased the watch. This dealer is approved as a certified authorized repair place for Breitling (also for Rolex and Cartier). They looked at my watch. They said that given the fact that it was nearly 5 years since purchase, it needed to be serviced and lubricated. They said they could do the service. I was given an estimate of $550.00 for the repair.

Several weeks later, I received a call from the dealer and was informed that because of the nature of the movement in my watch, it needed to be sent to Breitling for service and I would receive an estimate for the repairs. I asked the dealer if I should simply pick up my watch and send it myself. They said they would do this for me.

I then received a voicemail message from the dealer a few days ago that Breitling's estimate is $1,020.00 for a "complete service." I called back and left a message that I wanted to see the quote or estimate. I've heard nothing from the dealer.

I checked the Breitling website and see that the cost for the "complete service" is $850.00. It seems that Breitling does a lot in performing the "complete service."

Is $850.00 a reliable price for the complete service by Breitling--meaning that the price is firm? Does anyone know why my quote is higher? What has been the experience of others in having Breitling do a "complete service."

Thanks for your advice and guidance.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 23 posts
I believe only Breitling services their watches. There are no authorized repair centers outside of the factory. Others with much more knowledge than me hopefully will weigh in. The “extra” may be what the AD is tacking on. Most of the articles I see here suggest sending watches direct to Breitling.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:34 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

When the AD informed me that the watch would be sent to Breitling for service, I said I would pick up my watch and send it personally. The AD said they would not charge for doing this for me. But perhaps they're including a charge after all.

I am curious as to other people's experiences in whether they often pay more than the $850.00 that is listed on the Breitling website for a complete service. It seems Breitling--based on what I read on their website and based on their video describing the complete service--includes everything that must be done as part of the service for the $850.00. So I'm surprised the amount now quoted is higher.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
You need to call the Breitling service center where the watch was sent and inform them that the watch is still under warranty, there should be no charge for the "normal" service while the watch is still under warranty.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
56scooter wrote:
You need to call the Breitling service center where the watch was sent and inform them that the watch is still under warranty, there should be no charge for the "normal" service while the watch is still under warranty.

The repair of a fault would be free within a warranty period but surely not a service?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The "fault" is that it is no longer running within specs within the warranty period. Here in the States that is covered under warranty throughout the warranty period. If it takes a service, which it normally does, then that service is covered under the warranty. I have had it done several times.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

56scooter wrote:
The "fault" is that it is no longer running within specs

I didn't get that from the original post; it just said that the watch "now needs service". OP - is there a fault?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

TomP wrote:
56scooter wrote:
The "fault" is that it is no longer running within specs

I didn't get that from the original post; it just said that the watch "now needs service". OP - is there a fault?

I read his post to mean that it was not running within specs. If it need a service because it was dropped on the floor or some other form of abuse then it obviously would not be covered. When someone says that a watch needs service, I take it that it means that the watch is no longer operating within the specified limits. That type of service would be covered here in the States.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:01 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you for your replies to my original post.

I've taken great care of the watch. Never dropped or damaged in any way. While I usually keep the watch in a watch-winder when I take it off, sometimes I fail to to this and the watch winds down if I don't wear it for a day or two. I simply reset the watch and re-wind. I can't imagine that would be considered misuse.

The watch seemed to be working fine until one day a few weeks ago, I noticed the time was off by a couple of hours--though the second hand was moving. I made certain the watch was wound (I guess that is the spelling of the past tense of wind) and I reset the watch. The second hand continued to move but the minute/hour hands did not maintain proper time.

I actually was a short distance from the authorized dealer and drove directly there immediately to have them look at the watch. They had me in their records as purchasing the watch from then in November 2014--so they were fully aware that the watch was 4 1/2 years old. The AD is an authorized service center and they told me they do Breitling repairs in house. They had their watch repair department look at the watch and I was told it needed service and lubrication. With a quote of $550.00. I left my watch with them.

As explained, they concluded a few weeks later that they needed to send the watch to Breitling. Then I got a call from them with Breitling's estimate of $1,020.00 to repair. I still have not received a response from the AD to my question about the new estimate.

I intend to call Breitling tomorrow to inquire. I will post what I learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

If there is a five-year warranty on that watch then 56scooter is absolutely right - that's a fault and should be covered (indeed it would be quite a handy time for it to have malfunctioned...)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:19 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Well. I called Breitling to check on my watch and to inquire about the quote for the complete service and why the quote is higher than their listed charge on their website. They would not tell me anything. They said they would inform the dealer--since the dealer sent the watch to them. They said they would call the dealer immediately and then the dealer would call me.

Breitling did confirm their quote/estimate was in writing which they sent by email to the dealer.

I received an email from the dealer later asking if I wanted to proceed with the service. I responded that I wanted to see the quote and also stated that the watch is still under warranty. The response I received from the dealer was--quote--"Breitling said that your Navitimer passed all testing and is now asking to do a complete service $1020 which is not covered under warranty."

This is interesting. The reason I took the watch in was because there was a mechanical failure. Now they tell me the watch passed all testing.

I asked again to see the written quote. I also reiterated that the watch is under warranty. I then get another email from the dealer saying she is working with her watch manager and she'll get back to me. That's been over a day ago.

Amazing. This should be simple. I will pay to repair the watch--provided there is an explanation as to why the warranty does not apply. I will have Breitling do the complete service. But I still would like an explanation as to the additional charges they have quoted.

Why can't I receive the written estimate with a full explanation? (That is a rhetorical question.)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Shouldn't have to be a rhetorical question. When I've used BUK for work or repair the AD has always received a breakdown of the work required together with the associated costs. Is this not the case in the US or is Breitling trying to reduce transparency in it's excessive costs? It's not unreasonable to expect a detailed explanation of what work is to be undertaken and why. I'd be back at the AD demanding some sort of justification for price you're expected to apy.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 37 posts
The dealer seems to be shady in not providing the written quote to you.

Also, some service items are optional like polish, hand replacement, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:23 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

The authorized dealer is considered one of the top watch/jewelry places. Many prestigious brands. Breitling, Carier, IWC, Jaeger-Lecoultre, Patek Philippe, Rolex, Tissot, Tag Heuer, etc., etc.

Regardless, I'm not getting the attention I think I deserve. Incidentally, I've purchased other jewelry and items from this same dealer. You'd think a regular, repeat customer should account for something.

I still have not received a satisfactory response and still not received a copy of the quote from Breitling. And obviously no explanation as to why or why not is my watch covered by the warranty. It's been two days since the sales rep emailed me that she is "working with her watch manager" apparently to formulate a response to me. I still have not received a copy of the written quote from Breitling.

I intend to go to the dealer in person tomorrow to find out what's going on.

When you are given a quote in excess of $1,000, it is not unreasonable to expect a complete and detailed explanation. I've watched the video on the Breitling website describing what is included in the "complete service." It is certainly "complete" and appears to cover everything. I cannot imagine why my quote exceeds that normal service. And I cannot understand why the dealer is not being transparent.

Here's the thing. Breitling watches are expensive. I've now discovered--which should not come as a surprise--their service is also very expensive. I've no choice. If I want to enjoy my Breitling, then you gotta pay for the service. But at least treat me with respect and explain--in detail--what and why you are charging me these fees in excess of the normal charge and also explain why the warranty does not cover my mechanical failure.

You'd think the local authorized dealer is my advocate since I purchased the watch from them. That is not the case here.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:45 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 37 posts
Also reach out to BUSA.