The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
So the new Rolex and Tudor watches have been released at Baselworld, and they're utterly ridiculous! :lol:

On the Rolex side we have a new 42mm YachtMaster, which I think is actually a very nice looking watch......apart from the fact that Rolex in their arrogance (sorry, I mean "wisdom") decided to release it in white gold only. :roll:

They've also seen fit to release a two tone SeaDweller! :lol: :shock: Yep, you read that right - A TWO TONE SeaDweller. So they've taken their most professional model and blinged it up in TT. Errrrr.... OK then.

We also have a meteorite dial Pepsi GMT (in white gold, naturally) that looks completely illegible, and some very dull and miniature Datejusts (obviously, or else ADs would have nothing to fill their window displays with!)

It comes to something when their best *ahem* "new" release is simply putting the newer movement and a Jubilee bracelet on the existing BLNR GMT! It's hilarious! :lol:

And Tudor??? Well, what can I say about Tudor......... ALL their new models (except perhaps the black dial bronze BB) should come with an extra bag to put over your head so you can't see the damn things! They're HIDEOUS!

I've never seen BOTH Rolex and Tudor miss the mark so comprehensively before. Absolutely comedy.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
The Tudor Black Bay P01 has to be the worst looking release from Tudor that I've ever seen. The Rolex releases are pretty boring. If the Yachtmaster was in SS, I could see it easily being one of their better selling models but when the cost is about the same as the white gold Daytona, I don't know who is buying it.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

It's almost like no-one at Rolex or Tudor has any kind of watch forum membership or social media account! :lol:

Fans of Tudor have been clamouring since last Baselworld for a Tudor Sub, which would be a massive seller and a pretty easy win for Tudor as a nice historic piece and a truly viable alternative to the Rolex Sub with it's lovely artificial waiting lists. People have also been requesting a Pelagos GMT since....well, forever. Again, I really simple win as they already have both the movement and the case. Also, people have just wanted the BB58 released in different colourways : not something I'd necessarily like as it's way too small for me, but a simple and easy win for Tudor that'd keep the fans happy. But instead of that they deliver one of the most ugly and crucially, unasked for, collections in recent memory!

And Rolex.... well, even with their glacial product development speed, all they really needed to do was release a GMTII with a green and black bezel (there's a mock up floating around the web) and everyone would've be happy! Or the perennial favourite request - a GMT II Coke! They could even have salvaged something by releasing the new YachtMaster 42 in steel as that is a really nice looking piece IMO, and it would definitely find an audience. But as it's in WG it's just another precious metal piece that 99% of people won't (or can't) buy.

Basically there is nothing for the true watch fans from either brand this year, and I think that really shows the arrogance and contempt they both have for their fans. And I find it all absolutely hilarious! :lol:

PS - Even though it find the situation highly amusing, I'm actually a big fan of both brands, even after my previous love/hate relationship with Rolex. Roll on next Baselworld! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:45 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
The GMT meteorite dial is a complete miss — it just doesn’t work. Very odd choice!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:02 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
I love my Sub, but Rolex is an enigma. Who knows what’s going on with supply and these releases are dull. I am loving the reaction of TRG, though. Heads are exploding over there and the added drama of RPR leaks from yesterday, which were assumed by many to be fake, are making for an entertaining morning to say the least.

The Tudor SKX is tragic, but I can’t look away. It’s a total train wreck.

Breitling won Basel 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

mwheatley wrote:
I love my Sub, but Rolex is an enigma. Who knows what’s going on with supply and these releases are dull. I am loving the reaction of TRG, though. Heads are exploding over there and the added drama of RPR leaks from yesterday, which were assumed by many to be fake, are making for an entertaining morning to say the least.

The Tudor SKX is tragic, but I can’t look away. It’s a total train wreck.

Breitling won Basel 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rolex Passion Report stuff was hilarious yesterday. Obviously someone leaked him the information but nobody could believe it. If only the Yachtmaster was in SS, it could have been so much better. I can understand offering the Batman on jubilee and they did upgrade the movement, but it's not a big deal. All they need to do is offer a SS Coke version and everyone would be declaring that the best watch of Basel.

Does anyone know if Tudor ever fixed the issues they were having with the bronze cases? I've see several pictures posted that show the cases corroding so I'd be hesitant to buy one of those unless that was fixed, or can be fixed/replaced under warranty.

mwheatley likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Honestly speaking, with the exception of GMT Batman, I will never consider Rolex if not for their high resale value. I know watches should never be for investment but.... it's like you are spending thousands to buy something that it will be nice to see your "asset" in demand and even growing in price. Resale was never in my consideration until I flipped my Batman a few months back for the current retail price even though my one is already more than 5 years old with no warranty. End up I earned 2% plus per year as compared to what I buy for. I was happy at first but regretted later because I really like the watch.

I bought my 2 LINGS with no intention of flipping them ever and my Chronomat has always been my undisputed HOLY GRAIL. However I am not a rich guy who can just buy whatever I like anytime, therefore I have to be prudent of whatever I buy from now because I will not know how many pieces I can afford to have in my collection in the long term. Therefore I find it hard to buy another Breitling again, one reason is because I have not come across another Breitling that I know I need to burn my wallet for. Another reason is the high resale is really pulling me to Rolex, despite the fact that they appear to have run out of ideas. However it is astonishing to see that majority of the consumers actually buy their "boring idea". I laugh at them but fall into it myself....."slap head".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:46 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Saw this on FB this afternoon and it made me chuckle, so thought I'd re-post here. :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:33 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Actually it's not usual of Rolex to release the same color variation(Batman) within such a short period. Their actions are telling me that they are going to cease production on 3186, and therefore the old Batman, in order to make way for the new movement. Even so, there is no need to use back the same color combo that fast. There is coke, they can use green and black, etc.

I guess many of their designers fell sick and were on sick leave for the past year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:15 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

If you need some comic relief, just look at the instagram posts from Hodonkee, yes, that's how it's spelled.

Hodonkee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I agree, mostly boring year for both brands. That said the Jubilee Batman is a killer piece, and I absolutely love the Black Bay P01! If I was offered either at retail I would get them, the rest are forgettable to say the least.

This might be by design, Rolex cant (or wont, still confused myself) local demand for their pieces. Why create even more desirable pieces that no one can get? might as well do minor modifications and focus on optimizing supply.

Patek also missed the mark mostly this year, probably for the same reasons. The Khaki Aquatimer is their Jubilee Batman I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:51 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Altair wrote:
Patek also missed the mark mostly this year, probably for the same reasons. The Khaki Aquatimer is their Jubilee Batman I guess.

I have never been a fan of the Aquanaut -- and, I think the khaki green version just looks downright silly.