It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
WatchFred wrote:
should be out this summer, but...
Stephane Linder, the former CEO of TAG Heuer is now COO at Breitling - and doing a wonderful job pushing production to meet demand, that isn’t the easiest job currently ;)
will try to update during Basel.

and, Altair, as I told Jim - wait until the end of this year to see the vision evolve...

no model line can be for everyone, but there’s respect for the Schneider years too, hope Kern can truly revive the icons of all eras.

Exciting :D

I cnt wait though till September, just the premier for now, ok? :strummin:

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I actually spent a few hours yesterday to create a thread, typing out many points that I did not like about Kern's offerings and the current direction. Emphasis only on the old Breitlings with no connection to Schneider Era at all, made the brand like a motorcycle inspired brand instead of aviation, designs that seem a little IWCish, many are nice but all very safe, without any with the "weird" details that I used to see during Teddy Schneider times that actually helps professionals in their use, even though made the watches look weird, but yet unique like real high tech machines for professionals. It's like they attract new segment of consumers but did not do anything to retain their niche market, which used to be their bread and butter.

I deleted the entire thread after I read this. Not bad... not bad at all... something that I have learnt over the years is that you don't have to like everything about a brand and ALL their offerings. As long as people love the brand for its past achievements, its heritage and at least one or two of their classic ranges. The brand is deem to have succeeded.

This is the first time that I am beginning to see Old Breitling + Schneider = Kern's Breitlings. I like the way how he unveils his strategy and "actual" direction bit by bit, that is gaining the nod from more and more people out there. I believe Breitling will be in the spotlight in years to come as people start speculating about what would come next, but always taken by surprise.

I believe it's a hope of all Breitling owners that resale value can grow. Even though I have no intentions of flipping my LINGS, it is always nice to see our pieces appreciate in value. I went to an AD's garage sale recently and was saddened to see a Chronomat 44(the classic one with black dial with silver sub-dials) put on sale with 40% discount. My personal opinion is that Icon Classics should never be put on garage sale as they carry the Breitling flag and the company should prevent ADs from putting important models on garage sales. As Kerns mentioned in an interview, the reason why most people buy a watch today is brand. Putting important models on sale kills the brand's prestige, indirectly affects resale value and makes people consider other brands over Breitling when they choose a watch. I hope Kerns can eventually implement stricter price controls and the pieces that ADs are allowed to put on sale(No classic Navitimers or Chronomats please, maybe even all the regular models with in house movements).

I am personally impressed with the new Superoceans, especially the last one. Really look forward to what else is coming up next.

Great job Kerns!

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
can only repeat: please wait until the end of this year w/ your "final" judgement; though the SO does show the respect the "Schneider Icons" are treated with.

the first releases had to be almost instantaneous - the 8 couldn't be as perfect as it should have been, but, w/ minor corrections, the line now has improved a lot, the Curtiss Warhawk shows where they are going, more to come. And they are selling!

The Premier is really well done - and will continue to strengthen the re-positioning of the brand in market segments widely neglected in the past.

Won't talk about the Navitimer 806 Re-Edition, will let others judge that one, but it is the first of some rather lovely watches to be revived.

There's the elephant in the room, of course - what will happen with THE Schneider Icon, the watch that saved Breitling and has been one of the biggest sellers for decades; the Chronomat:
See above, a bit of patience, please; but it receives all the respect and passion it deserves.

we may, of course, fail. mess it up. blow it. trying hard not to.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:04 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
I have long said that the Superocean line needs to be re-imagined from the ground up. The new SO is a most encouraging sign!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:23 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
the first releases had to be almost instantaneous - the 8 couldn't be as perfect as it should have been, but, w/ minor corrections, the line now has improved a lot, the Curtiss Warhawk shows where they are going, more to come. And they are selling!

In my view, Breitling stumbled out of the gate with this release. The initial design aesthetics were wanting, as far as I'm concerned. I fully agree that the Curtiss Warhawk is a vast improvement, and, had the initial release been more along the lines of the Curtiss Warhawk, my reaction would have been much more positive. The other major stumble, in my view, was using the "Navitimer" name to apply to the new line of watches, instead of reserving that name for the Breitling icon itself. The right move would have been to name the new line "Aviator 8" (as is now being done with the Curtiss Warhawk). That would have tied in nicely to the Huit Aviation inspiration for the line. If there are still mid-course corrections available for Kern, I would highly recommend rectifying this situation.

WatchFred wrote:
The Premier is really well done - and will continue to strengthen the re-positioning of the brand in market segments widely neglected in the past.

Agree with this -- the Premier line has some truly nice offerings and is very well done.

WatchFred wrote:
Won't talk about the Navitimer 806 Re-Edition, will let others judge that one, but it is the first of some rather lovely watches to be revived.

The Navi 806 is a home run, and the notion that accurate re-editions will be part of ongoing releases over time is an extremely positive and welcome development.

WatchFred wrote:
There's the elephant in the room, of course - what will happen with THE Schneider Icon, the watch that saved Breitling and has been one of the biggest sellers for decades; the Chronomat:
See above, a bit of patience, please; but it receives all the respect and passion it deserves.

You have put that nicely, Fred -- it is indeed the "elephant in the room." Once of the reasons I have become impatient a bit is the fact that the lack of activity on the Chronomat front has left me puzzled as to Kern's ultimate direction with the brand as a whole. That delay has no doubt left Schneider-era fans feeling like the brand has abandoned them. So, I am relieved to hear your prognosis for the coming year. I will say that the nature of the releases so far leads me to believe that the Chronomat re-launch will be well worth waiting for.

Incidentally, one last note on my own personal wish list -- the disappearance of GMT models from the brand line-up is highly disappointing. Time to get the B04 back into action!!! :wink:

Last edited by Moana43 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Chronomat01LE wrote:
designs that seem a little IWCish

I have had this exact reaction to the ETA-based Navi 8 chronographs. The inclusion of the day/date really is reminiscent of the IWC pilot watches.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
WatchFred wrote:

we may, of course, fail. mess it up. blow it. trying hard not to.

I really think Georges either "gets" Breitling more now, or he always did "get" it but just needed time to showcase the overall masterplan (which is obviously still a work in progress, but IMHO definitely going in the right direction).

Funny you should mention the 8 Fred, because when it first came out I found that it was much too IWC-like, being rather sterile and (dare I say) a little bland. Part of my concern at that time was that Georges was going to "IWC-ise" Breitling. But as you say, with a couple of minor teaks and a bit of colour on the Curtiss Warhawk it's very nicely transformed the 8, and after seeing the wonderful "Capsule" series, it's clear that Georges isn't afraid to give the 'Post-Hank-the-Cod' era of Breitling some "visual life". To me Breitling is always about personality. I see parallels between Breitling and Tudor in as much as Tudor is a little more playful and daring than its more coldly efficient bigger brother. Breitling is about a splash of colour here and a dash of daring personality there, than the likes of the VERY Swiss IWC. And I think Georges is doing a fine job in that regard.

Of course, the Premier is a very classy and elegant entry into the catalogue, and (especially after trying a couple on) I definitely feel it exudes a personality all of it's own. It's a truly beautiful piece (and one I NEED to buy!).

And with the rather splendid 806 1959 (other piece I NEED!) and now the new SOs, I feel Breitling are being both forward looking AND paying homage to the past : exactly how I think it should be for a brand with as rich a history as Breitling.

Oh and I can't express how excited I am to see what the next Chronomat will be like. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

My last post crossed with yours Jim - very similar wavelengths I feel! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Driver8 wrote:
My last post crossed with yours Jim - very similar wavelengths I feel! :thumbsup:

I just noticed the same thing, Driver! :lol: And, I agree -- very similar wavelengths! :thumbsup:

I particularly agree with your last sentiment about Breitling both looking forward and paying homage to the past. This was always my wish during the Schneider era. If Kern is actually able to achieve this kind of synthesis, then it will truly be an extremely exciting time for Breitling, and for all of us! :lingsrock:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Kern's wristshot of new Superocean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:43 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Hmmmm, I have to say I'm liking that bezel a lot more after seeing that wrist-shot than I thought I would when I read it was going to be anodised instead of ceramic. It really shows the 3 dimensional nature of the bezel markings. Plus the relatively fragile (compared to ceramic) anodised surface should be well protected as it's recessed down in the bezel a little.

Site Moderator

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
Liking this one:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Long time since I have owned a Breitling. But looking at those SO models, I think Breitling might just have the best offerings at Basel. That 48mm last pic with locking bezel and NO DATE dial is the most amazing looking one IMO. Wow! I can't wait to see all the models and details.

Cheers,
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:03 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

carlhaluss wrote:
Long time since I have owned a Breitling. But looking at those SO models, I think Breitling might just have the best offerings at Basel. That 48mm last pic with locking bezel and NO DATE dial is the most amazing looking one IMO. Wow! I can't wait to see all the models and details.

Cheers,
Carl

Hey Carl, good to see you back! If you've not been following Breitling too much lately, then there's quite a bit to like at the moment. We may tempt you back to the "B" after all! :wink:

Site Moderator

carlhaluss likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Driver8 wrote:
carlhaluss wrote:

Cheers,
Carl

Hey Carl, good to see you back! If you've not been following Breitling too much lately, then there's quite a bit to like at the moment. We may tempt you back to the "B" after all! :wink:

Thanks! Really good talking to you again as well. It has been years. Anyway, I am really liking a lot of what Breitling is doing lately. Since my last Breitling, I have had some larger watches. So even something like the 48mm model is appealing.

Breitling was my first watch that really got me interested in watches in general. Got my first Superocean in 1997, having traded in a 10-year-old quartz Colt for it.

Cheers,
Carl