The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
So last week I was on vacation and made the decision to bring along my SOHC and my Sub. I figured 2 watches would work well since I have the dual watch travel case from Breitling to use. I was also only gone a week so figured I could get by with only 2 but I have a 2 week trip in June and I figure I’ll bring a third with, probably the Skyracer.

The reason for my post is that I was wondering what everyone else travels with. I almost always bring 2 but curious if others manage with just one or even more. Do you find a new appreciation for the watches you leave home when your trip ends?

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Just like you pack depending on your vacation location I always take watches based on what my vacation activities will include. Normally something that is waterproof, a watch to knock around in and one for the evenings when we hit the town. Three or four watch in each of those categories should cover it! LOL, a total of either three or four normally covers it but I have taken as many as seven for a extended vacation (Six weeks)!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:05 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I generally only take 1 and I take 1 that seems versatile to me. When I'm on vacation, time and the date seem less important to me and I don't miss having the option of what watch to grab that day. I look at vacation as a way to be free from normal everyday life and grabbing and deciding on a watch is part of that every day process I try to break when I'm away. I also look at it as something else that I can lose or get stolen out of the hotel room or forgotten in a safe or something.

But once I'm back home I do miss and appreciate the variety and the options again.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:30 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
usually i only take 1 my emergency although i have taken two on a few occasions. tend to want to wear them so one per wrist is my max

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:35 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I only ever take one. I always travel as light as possible - not sure why, but it's how I've always been. I guess I just hate carrying stuff!

As Natesen said, the more things (and especially things of value) I have with me, the more things that could get lost, stolen or damaged. Personally I never understand how some guys are happy to risk carrying 5 or 6 expensive watches in their bags around the globe, going through airport scanners, being left in hotel rooms, chucked around in taxis, etc. But each to their own I guess.

But the upside of taking only one is that just like it's nice to get back into your own bed after a trip, it's also nice to have a choice a timepieces again when you get home. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and all that..... :)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:12 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
56scooter wrote:
Just like you pack depending on your vacation location I always take watches based on what my vacation activities will include. Normally something that is waterproof, a watch to knock around in and one for the evenings when we hit the town. Three or four watch in each of those categories should cover it! LOL, a total of either three or four normally covers it but I have taken as many as seven for a extended vacation (Six weeks)!

This pretty much sums up my general approach, as well. If it's a business trip, I will probably take two watches -- one for meetings, and one knock around watch. If I'm on vacation for a week or more, I'll usually take at least three watches (sometimes more) -- those will include a beach/snorkel/pool watch, a knock around watch for general exploring, and something a little nicer for the evenings.

For me, I think one of the real pleasures of owning nice watches is to be able to travel with them and rack up some new experiences together. :wink: I have a routine system for packing the watches in my carry-on and for stowing them in the room safe at the hotel, so I really don't worry much about it. That doesn't mean I'm not careful -- but I really do enjoy taking my watches on the road.

56scooter likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
I think one of the real pleasures of owning nice watches is to be able to travel with them and rack up some new experiences together. :wink:

Exactly! As far as theft, or losing a watch is concerned, I insure all of my watches to give me peace of mind. However, I rarely travel out of the US and if I did I may reconsider my approach only because of my unfamiliarity with the location being visited.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:07 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Moana43 wrote:
If I'm on vacation for a week or more, I'll usually take at least three watches (sometimes more) -- those will include a beach/snorkel/pool watch, a knock around watch for general exploring, and something a little nicer for the evenings.

This is how I'm justifying taking 3 watches to Maui. I can use the Skyracer as a knock around watch and then still have the Sub and SOHC to wear at other times. I just need to decide if I want to keep the SOHC on the mesh or put it on the blue rubber strap.

Last edited by jnelson3097 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Just one for me, my old Seiko 5. It’s next outing is New England at Easter.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:56 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

zak57 wrote:
Just one for me, my old Seiko 5. It’s next outing is New England at Easter.

Sounds like a good trip. I’ll be in Boston in September. I’m going to see my first game at Fenway Park and can’t wait.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:14 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Enjoy the Red Sox! This is our second trip over, cant wait to be there again.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE