It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Super Avenger Crystal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Hi,
I recently purchased a Super Avenger Blacksteel model, I negotiated a price in line with the fact the watch had never had a service. All seemed well upon receiving the watch but I have now noticed after a while of wearing it (e.g. 2-3 hours there appears a 5cm square misting in the centre of the Crystal. I approached the seller with a view to returning it for a refund, or as I was intent on having a service done if the watch required a new crystal at £260, he would fund it. He is unwilling to do this, implying that I have done something to it since having it. Could it be the seal on the back is taking moisture from my body temp or maybe the Anti Reflective coating is breaking down. I have an older (2007) SA that has only had 1 service since I had it and it has never displayed this issue.
Just wondering if anybody has had something similar occur?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
If the misting has only occurred since you've been wearing it, then it's likely to be moisture inside the case which, when combined with your body-heat from wearing it, causes condensation (or misting) to form on the inside of the crystal. If that's the case then you need it serviced to dry it out and fix any components that may have been damaged.

It'd be highly unlikely to be the AR coating breaking down, especially on the inside, and if the AR on the outside layer is worn or damaged then it will appear as more shiny rather than misty.

Moisture in the case is the most likely cause I think.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:50 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi,
Yes I think that is the issue. As I said I planned on getting it serviced, I just wanted to protect myself as I was worried Breitling would say it needed a new crystal. Then a £220 service then becomes a £500. I dropped my other SA on a ceramic floor in June last year. It was named on my home insurance policy but the insurance company was saying as I hadn't had it valued every year they would not honour the claim. I got the ombudsmen involved and they ruled in my favour. The bill to repair has consisted of new dial/hands bezel crystal and clasp. The princely sum of £2205, Thankfully my excess is just £250.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Sent watch off to Breitling UK. Basically their prognosis is that the gaskets have hardened which has allowed moisture ingress. My bought the watch through PayPal and am pushing for a refund as this was 100% a pre existing condition. My other SA is older than this Black steel version I bought and had to go back to Breitling as it was gaining time. That was at least 9 yrs ago. I wore the watch in Jacuzzi's etc & it was water tight. £618 to sort this or I can basically have new case bezel crystal buckle on top of that for the princely sum of £2286. I am relying on PayPal to do the right Thing. As I alluded to in another post on Chrono24 there are a few Blacksteel's all between £2300 to £4000 and not one of those had any proper service history. Buyer beware as they say........