The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Driver -- I gotta start by praising your mad Photoshop skills! Just fantastic! Plus, some great ideas.

Well, I may be the odd man out here, but, in terms of case proportions and styling, I am A-OK with the Chronomat as is. Although the case is 44mm, it actually wears smaller than this, in my experience. And, the proportions of the lugs, etc., balance everything out nicely.

As a fellow Airborne owner, I'm with Justin in terms of thinking that the Airborne is pretty close to perfect. My only minor complaint with that model is that the silver hands against the silver dial can be hard to read in low light. Otherwise, though, I love it -- particularly the brushed bezel and dark inlays.

That being said, one of the things I like about the Chronomat is that it adapts nicely to a variety of looks, so I'd be loathe to pin things down to just one configuration. The timing bezel on the Airborne provides one great look -- but the Buck font bezel is another great look that gives the Chronomat a dressier and more unique vibe. (And, yes, I do realize that I need to run for the hills after making that last observation!). In all cases, however, I would want the bezel to be brushed, rather than polished. In fact, brushed all around would be just fine with me -- bezel, case and pilot bracelet.

Lastly, I truly do miss the wide variety of dial offerings and combos that were previously possible. That variety seemed to be part and parcel of the vibe of the Chronomat. It certainly had some fun variations (like the Roman numerals on MOP dial). So, for me, winding up with one standardized version isn't necessarily a desirable thing.

Looking forward to where things wind up!

Chronomat01LE likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
arcadelt wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
So what would be your dream Chonomat?

One exactly like the one on the right in this picture, but in steel and a 38 to 41mm width, and certainly not as thick or slab-sided as the Montbrillant on the left. I think the foundations are already there in the new Premier line.

PS: I know this is not the "Chronomat" type you were talking about . I just don’t like any of the Breitlings with riders on the bezel.

Not a Breitling but I do like how Hamilton has recreated the vintage 1968 Chrono-matic with a larger modern version true to the original in design.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
This Blackbird of mine has lots of ideal Chronomat vibe for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Moana43 wrote:
Driver -- I gotta start by praising your mad Photoshop skills! Just fantastic! Plus, some great ideas.

Well, I may be the odd man out here, but, in terms of case proportions and styling, I am A-OK with the Chronomat as is. Although the case is 44mm, it actually wears smaller than this, in my experience. And, the proportions of the lugs, etc., balance everything out nicely.

As a fellow Airborne owner, I'm with Justin in terms of thinking that the Airborne is pretty close to perfect. My only minor complaint with that model is that the silver hands against the silver dial can be hard to read in low light. Otherwise, though, I love it -- particularly the brushed bezel and dark inlays.

That being said, one of the things I like about the Chronomat is that it adapts nicely to a variety of looks, so I'd be loathe to pin things down to just one configuration. The timing bezel on the Airborne provides one great look -- but the Buck font bezel is another great look that gives the Chronomat a dressier and more unique vibe. (And, yes, I do realize that I need to run for the hills after making that last observation!). In all cases, however, I would want the bezel to be brushed, rather than polished. In fact, brushed all around would be just fine with me -- bezel, case and pilot bracelet.

Lastly, I truly do miss the wide variety of dial offerings and combos that were previously possible. That variety seemed to be part and parcel of the vibe of the Chronomat. It certainly had some fun variations (like the Roman numerals on MOP dial). So, for me, winding up with one standardized version isn't necessarily a desirable thing.

Looking forward to where things wind up!

Agree with most of the things stated here. IMO Chronomat is the 2nd icon of Breitling and even though Navitimer has always been the undisputed main icon of Breitling, Chronomat is actually the best model to portray the brand's spirit IMHO. The only model I ever know that covers all air, land, and sea. This model line left 2 of the most important imprints in brand's history - Revived the brand from bankruptcy and the first head to toe in house Breitling. However it's is also one of the models that underwent the most changes ever since its launch. I can understand why they did so when they launched the Chronomat 01.

However I feel that it is time to "stabilize" this model and refrain from excessive changes to its aesthetics. Offering both the buck rogers with wing logo and traditional bezel with "B" logo, at the same time, restricting both variations for a stronger identity is a good move IMHO. My 01 LE is already my dream Chronomat so if I have to propose a design for an upcoming Chronomat, I would personally propose enhancement its technical features and some details, instead of doing changes to its aesthetics:

-having Sec markers on the Sec sub dial, instead of just having 10 sec indicators.
-numerals should not "eat" into the markers of the sub dials as it affects legibility.
-improving the clasp of the bracelet and creating a glide lock feature for easier adjustment.
-creating a mechanism to allow any user to interchange bracelets/straps easily without risk of scratch. Something like Panerai.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:53 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
I’m right with Chronomat01LE on this one but am also hoping that the new releases have a sapphire back. Any insights anyone? (Looking squarely at you Fred!)

Post subject: Suggestions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:02 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
Unfortunately no Photoshop skills here , so we have to imagine the following:

Case shape and size: that of the Chronomat 41 – just perfect. Regarding size: no wonder the Daytona is still 40 mm… (I wear often and happily my smallest ever „Chronomat”, the 39 mm Chrono Cockpit…) I know there are many with other size option wishes: the 44 mm is right there for them.
Waterresistance, pushers: 300 m is fine – to keep case height within limits. Pushers: either screw-down like now, or usable under water. If neither of them, going into water is not safe enough when pusher activated accidentally. I would not use chrono pushers when wet but either way it is very good to be ont he safe side.
Case back: display in case of the B01 base. Though mid-up and upper brands usually do not display their 7750-based movements I’d be happy to see the B13 too.
Case material: an alternative material of full titanium (case and bracelet) would be nice: the first ever titanium Chronomat. Mainly brushed (exactly like Aerospace Avantage), with small polished accents.
Surface: tone (or tune? :) ) down by partial (dominant) brushing is nice: case and bracelet size polished with some other small polished accents, with case and bracelet upper surfaces brushed. Perfect. But an all-brushed version is fine too.
Pilot bracelet: parts kept totally in level (former design) is nicer than the one with two narrow lines a tad raised (later design).
Folding clasp: quick-micro-adjust, double pusher system. At least the integration of the rubber-strap folding clasp with the mentioned properties into the Pilot bracelet.
Bezel: Airborne bezel without the trigonal extension part of the 0/60 rider tab, with or even better without the rubber inlay. Brushed surface, polished rider tabs. A fine coin-edge pattern (the very same like ont he SOH) would be fine, leaving out the 4 rider tabs. Thus the sloping of the bezel quadrals could be terminated.
Rehaut: dropping the useless 0/100 ring, keeping only the tachymeter ring. Thus the tachy caracters might be a tad larger. Breitling Chrono Cockpit 3rd (=final) dial execution is a nice example.
Dial color: „Breitling-blue” or Blackeye-blue for me. I do not need the wings logo on the dial but does not disturb me either. As the present Chronomat was born under the Schneiders, why not… or offer both. A more polished case with wings, a more (or totally) brushed without.
Date window: I also hate the date at 4:30, even worse the „oblique” digit positioning (only partly because of I don’t like the El Primero), a vertical (Valjoux 7740-like) would be much nicer. Or at 6, like on some Seamaster Chrono watches or the new Heuer Autavia. But the very best is a Big Date at 12!
Weekday feature: important, because it changes every day :) . (For those on holidays, or working on different schedules on each working-day (like me), or not working at all…) :
1.One option is the day-date version of the B13 (ETA-Valjoux 7750), as Mr. Kern very cleverly seems to broaden the day-date B13-versions availability (Superocean Heritage Chrono, Aviator (Navitimer) 8). It might finally very well appear in the Chronomats too, would be excellent. An ETA 7751 with minute counter transferred to 3 o’clock would also be interesting :) .
2.The other options are based on the B01: one is an introduction of a weekday indicator – either in a window, or on a subdial – later more about this. The other way of indicating the weekday is to apply a simple full calendar module (without moonphases): weekday and month at 12, date either by a hand with crescent, or by a window. Templates are Valjoux 72C, Valjoux 7751, some Blancpain, Zenith El Primero and JLC watches and others.
Chronograph: basically maintaining the Tri-Compax dial. Optional: 60 minutes minute counter from the center, and if so (very usefull modification!!!): the freed place of the 3 o’clock subdial can be placed a week-day indicator subdial by a small hand with crescent again. Fly-back!!!
I know – and completely agree – that Breitling will not go Haute Horlogerie but all these mentioned above (day-date, simple full calendar, big date, 60 minutes central chrono minute counter, fly-back) are so-called „small complications”, even smaller – so to say – than e. g. a rattrapante. Many of them are videly available inside or outside Breitling.
Movement: B01 base is perfect. Balance bridge, free sprung balance, direct adjustment on balance wheel, silicone escapement parts – monstly to achieve great antimagnetism, but better long-time daily rates and longer maintenance intervals are also important.
Best,
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
ehm... is that all, Robert?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:23 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
WatchFred wrote:
I'm really happy with what I have. This was not an easy decision as all watch brands were considered. Requirements were: chronograph movement, GMT complication, date complication, water resistance, sapphire crystal w/reflective coating both sides. Superb pushers, crown, bezel, case and bracelet construction. A dial radiating the complicated look of a professional instrument. Minimum of two tone gold. A watch, which does not resemble the same design as 30 year ago. For me it was the Breitling 44 GMT 2-TONE. A redesign? Would one redesign Michaelangelo's David simply for aesthetics? From what I have read (limited), redesigned watches envolved mechanical/technical improvements. But, what the heck. Go for it. I really like the new 806. So true to the roots. The crystal is acrylic. As a side note, while in NYC week last. We visited the 9/11 memorial and the Westfield Mall. Side by side, are the Rolex and Breitling boutiques. No customers in the Rolex boutique, four customers in the Breitling boutique. Good looking watches! These new models or additions to already established models are just fantastic. I fell hard for the B06. Breitling for Bentley elm dial (think I need to get a Bentley first). And others; a really good looking collection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:41 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
WatchFred wrote:

Well, Driver asked to go into details - or at least I think this was what he aimed - so I went into details :) but hey, it is all about my dream-Chronomat :) and to tell the truth in the meantime I'm really, really very happy with the one I have - and the other 5 Breitlings that I also have...
Best,
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:40 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 86 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Well as this was my thread, I guess I should put forward my dream Chronomat too. As some of you know I like messing around with Photoshop, so below is my personal ideal Chronomat. (In fact I've created two ideals!).
:lingsrock:

It's not much of a secret that I'm a fan of the early to mid Schneider era, so for me, the next Chronomat should be an evolution of the current model. I'm all for vintage inspired modern "reimaginings" of classic pieces, but IMO the Chronomat has always been a forward-looking piece.

In terms of specs, I think the current model is a little too large, so I'd like to see it shrinking it down from 44mm to 42-43mm in diameter. As you can see from my Photoshop effort, I've slimmed down the lugs considerably, and made the bezel narrower which makes the dial look a little bigger. I've reduced the size of the bezel pearl a little, and obviously there's no Buck font in sight. In terms of the dial, I've gone with a reverse panda, partly because it's the inverse of my new favourite panda Premier, and partly because the contrasting rehaut pays a little homage to the early Chronomat posted by Arcadelt.

I've also (OBVIOUSLY!) got rid of my pet hate - the 4:30 date! On both my versions the date is now at 6, including being hidden within the 6 subdial on my triple register model (á la Omega). Personally I think this is just an INFINITELY much more elegant solution, even if you lose a minuscule amount of functionality on that register.

I've also kept the details in keeping with the current direction by having the "B" logo instead of the wings, reducing the amount of dial text, and removing the "B-anchor" from the end of central seconds hand.

Lastly, I've kept it all brushed as I think polishing works better on the vintage inspired pieces.

Here's a three register version (notice the slimmed lugs and date at 6) -

And a twin register version -

And here's a comparison with the current model. The slimmed-down lugs and larger dial due to the slightly smaller case are really apparent in this comparison : it looks so much less "bulky" to me than the current model -

I like your rendition of the two sub dial very much but the date window on the three is not a go for me. I would rather have it back to the 4:30 spot than mess up the hour register. Just my .02 but both very sharp. Also, having worked with Photoshop a bit your work is very impressive.
Frank.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Thanks for your kind words Frank. They were pretty quick PS efforts, but I do like messing around with it from time to time.

Site Moderator