Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
And Breitling listens - Georges Kern is extremely active on social media, just not on forums (yet, working on that).

Fred, I know that you have Georges ear! My wife follows you, Georges and the BOC on both Instagram and Facebook. Every day I hear about the beautiful watches that have been posted. Now, Georges may have an assistant who posts for him but I can tell you that the amount of time that he spends posting the pictures could be better spent by checking in on this forum a couple of times a day. I check in on a regular basis and I am able to keep up with the topics with a minimum time commitment. I am not bashing the other forums, but as others have said, most of the posts are of the "look at my watch and tell me what you think" variety. On this forum you have individuals who not only speak their mind, but do so in a constructive and informative manner.

Quote:
JLC held such a meet up in Dubai a while ago where I was invited, it was a true pleasure meeting the designers, engineers, finishers, and all the other people involved in developing the watches.

A few years back the Brietling Boutique in New York held a monthly "Flight Night" where the resident watchmaker made a presentation on a variety of topics. These presentations were informative and a provided the attendees with a wealth of knowledge. Sadly, they were discontinued. I truly think that Breitling needs to go back to them and use them to educate people not only about the Breitling brand but the construction of the watches themselves. With all due respect to Georges and the current team I have been to a couple of the presentations done by new squad members and although they are informative about their respective exploits they provided zero information about the Breitling and the watch making process. Maybe its time to Bring back "Flight Night"!

Driver8 likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:23 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
A factory tour will really be nice, but I know there are much bigger customers out there that would get the invite. I know brands like Patek and AP have had them with ADs and I know Omega has some local events as well.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
only Georges posts as Georges on social media, no assistant, no pr department.
some feel he is too personally involved actually.

as said, we are thinking about ways to include this forum in the “cercle of Breitling friends” on social media, complaining about the waning popularity of forums isn’t enough.

and let me make clear that Breitling expects friends to say what they think, doesn’t expect only fanboy applause, so whatever we come up with (hope early next year) will invite constructive criticism.

we currently have no active involvement here that would make local collector events, factory visits or forum project watches feasible - but if we join forces with other platforms we might.

frowning at facebook or instagram will not help revitalize this great forum, cooperative concepts might.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Driver8 wrote:
The linear structure also doesn't help as an information repository, and it's all too easy to miss something useful or interesting in the flood of dross. Social media is fine (in fact it's great) for announcements, but IMHO it's next to useless as a community or as an information resource.

ABSOLUTELY!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:32 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WatchFred wrote:
only Georges posts as Georges on social media, no assistant, no pr department.
some feel he is too personally involved actually.

as said, we are thinking about ways to include this forum in the “cercle of Breitling friends” on social media, complaining about the waning popularity of forums isn’t enough.

and let me make clear that Breitling expects friends to say what they think, doesn’t expect only fanboy applause, so whatever we come up with (hope early next year) will invite constructive criticism.

we currently have no active involvement here that would make local collector events, factory visits or forum project watches feasible - but if we join forces with other platforms we might.

frowning at facebook or instagram will not help revitalize this great forum, cooperative concepts might.

Even though I'm not on Facebook or Instagram, I've got nothing against those platforms to raise brand awareness. I realize I'm in the minority when it comes to the usage of social media so I've got no issues if there was an active group there for Breitling owners that was more than just posting wrist shots for likes.

I'd love to see a Breitling Collectors forum which could be accessed directly from Breitling's website. This would be the same model as the IWC collectors forum which has been around for quite some time. They even do forum special editions, not sure how often, but at least they're offering that. I can't remember much of the content on there since it's been awhile since I've been an IWC owner, but I believe the forums were similar to the groups on here. I'd even volunteer to moderate if that would happen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
concepts are along those lines, a bit of patience, we‘ll have some ideas to present in Q1/19

Robertus61 likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WatchFred wrote:
concepts are along those lines, a bit of patience, we‘ll have some ideas to present in Q1/19

Sounds great Fred, thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
56scooter wrote:
Quote:
And Breitling listens - Georges Kern is extremely active on social media, just not on forums (yet, working on that).

Fred, I know that you have Georges ear! My wife follows you, Georges and the BOC on both Instagram and Facebook. Every day I hear about the beautiful watches that have been posted. Now, Georges may have an assistant who posts for him but I can tell you that the amount of time that he spends posting the pictures could be better spent by checking in on this forum a couple of times a day. I check in on a regular basis and I am able to keep up with the topics with a minimum time commitment. I am not bashing the other forums, but as others have said, most of the posts are of the "look at my watch and tell me what you think" variety. On this forum you have individuals who not only speak their mind, but do so in a constructive and informative manner.

Quote:
JLC held such a meet up in Dubai a while ago where I was invited, it was a true pleasure meeting the designers, engineers, finishers, and all the other people involved in developing the watches.

A few years back the Brietling Boutique in New York held a monthly "Flight Night" where the resident watchmaker made a presentation on a variety of topics. These presentations were informative and a provided the attendees with a wealth of knowledge. Sadly, they were discontinued. I truly think that Breitling needs to go back to them and use them to educate people not only about the Breitling brand but the construction of the watches themselves. With all due respect to Georges and the current team I have been to a couple of the presentations done by new squad members and although they are informative about their respective exploits they provided zero information about the Breitling and the watch making process. Maybe its time to Bring back "Flight Night"!

WOW, Flight Night sounds amazing. I would have loved to attend one of those. Good for you!