The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:03 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
In the spirit of keeping the newly re-energized discussions going, I would like a few opinions from the members here.

First off, I love the look of the Transocean line. Over time I have owned 4 different Transoceans and still own 3 of them. As I’m currently downsizing to make room for some new ones (maybe even the new Premier) I don’t want to keep 3 pieces from the same line. Even though each of these watches is very different, I want to add more variety to my collection. And I have absolutely puny wrists and the long lugs of the case really push the limit of being able to wear these for me. I think I would like to move 2 of these and keep 1.

Transocean 1461:

Pros: Love the complications here. The ability to pack so much information into this little ticking machine never ceases to amaze me. I think this is a great value for a 1461 day calendar.
Cons: I don’t keep my watches on a winder and I end up rarely grabbing this one because I’m too lazy to set everything. And it would bother me if anything was not set properly.

Transocean 1915:
Pros: Love the vintage look, clean symmetrical dial, 2 subdial layout and lumed Arabics. I like that it’s a manual wind so I can better view the B01 movement.

Transocean Limited:

Pros: Love the unique brown dial color which shows a variety of brown tones in different lights. Love the clean symmetrical dial and 2 subdial layout.
Cons: Too much text on the dial. Because of the unique dial color I’m a little more self-conscious about when I wear it.

I think just writing this out I’m fairly certain that the 1461 is the first one to go. I just don’t wear it enough. I can barely pass as a functional human first thing in the morning so setting this watch just isn’t going to happen. So it comes down to the 2 limited editions. The brown one I have a fear of moving because if it’s the wrong decision I won’t be able to ever re-acquire it as it’s a limited run of only 100. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:16 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
If number 3 had a black dial I would maybe lean toward that one, but not a brown dial fan. Agree the 1461 is too complicated to set all the functions, so that leaves the 1915 which I actually like. So 1915 stays! And if you decide to add a Premier piece they will be different enough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:45 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
The cutoff 6 on the 1915 drives me crazy so I’d sell that one for sure. I really like the 1461 but the dial on the Limited edition model really does it for me, even with the brown color.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

Alien likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Keep the last one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:16 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
The graphic depiction of the 1461 on Breitling’s website never did it justice. In person, it is really stunning. That being said, for the reasons you have given, it sounds like a logical candidate for departure from your collection.

The rest of your decision is difficult, as each of the remaining watches is unique and special. Very subjective call. I like what Breitling did with the 1915, but the large Arabic numerals are not my cup of tea. In contrast, I am a huge fan of Panamerican bronze dials, and the bicompax layout of that limited edition would seal the deal for me.

Good luck with your decision!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Justin, have started to write this short comment three times and deleted it, as I really love the TOC and I hate to comment negatively on anyone's watch, also start to sound like a cheerleader for the New Premier ...

BUT... the wrist shots of the TOC show the problem it had in its design - the ultra-long lugs make it problematic to wear for anyone w/ a relatively slim wrist, as they extend over it, "hanging" in the air.

so I'll say it: the TOC is wrong for you (at 43mm at least, the 38 would be perfect, but you'll probably think it is too small ;) )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:57 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
WatchFred wrote:
Justin, have started to write this short comment three times and deleted it, as I really love the TOC and I hate to comment negatively on anyone's watch, also start to sound like a cheerleader for the New Premier ...

Fred, I know you meant to say Nate. I agree on the lugs of the TO. I have a very flat wrist but it always seems to cover my entire wrist when I’ve tried it on.

Nobody can blame you for being a cheerleader on the Premier, it’s a great watch. Are there plans for any other color combos for the B01 version?

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

sry, Nate!

no plans for now, but sure to come in the future. reducing SKU is one of the targets.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
No problem Fred, I knew what you meant! The Transocean is being talked about simultaneously in both the threads.

The angle of the picture makes it look longer than it is, but it is right at the very edges and maybe just a tad over the edge of my wrist. Here is another shot of the case for reference. Either way, as I commented in the Premier thread, I'm very much looking forward to trying the smaller case and shorter lugs of the Premier. I know it will fit my wrists much better as the Transocean is definitely too big for my wrists.

And I don't think the 38mm Transocean would be too small, I have the 40mm Montbrillant watches because I like the Navi look but the 40mm wears better on me.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
I agree with Fred that the lug length is too long on your wrist. But, if you enjoy it then you shouldn’t worry what we think. I like the limited the most out of all your photos, beautiful!

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Nate, it may be a GREAT time to pick up a TOC 38!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I also agree that the long lugs on the TOC push it right to the limit of your wrist size, but they still look great! Having said that, if you want to chop one in, then I'd say shift the 1915 : like Justin I'm just not a fan of the chopped off 6, plus the movement in the 1461 is awesome (I had a Navitimer Olympus myself), and the brown TOC LE is an absolute THING OF BEAUTY! So I'd keep the LE and the 1461.....and invest in cheapo watch winder! :wink:

That said, if you decide to move the LE on, genuinely shoot me a PM with a price and I may take it off your hands.

Site Moderator