The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 5 posts
I just got a newish Breitling Pult Bullhead 2117 and was scratching my head how to wind it up? The crown goes all the way into the case and when I try to wind it the crown's sharp edges eat my nails. Even setting up the time is not easy. What is a good trick to get around it? I am thinking to put a new a bit longer stem in, but the crown will look out.

Only the owners of a Bullhead 2117 know what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Why are you winding it? It’s an automatic movement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Even if you wear the watch all day, the power reserve won't last until day after, if you don't wind the watch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Sounds like it needs to be serviced then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:12 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

buddman wrote:
Sounds like it needs to be serviced then.

It is already serviced. I am the service guy. All Chronomatic movements need some sort of winding to get going longer. The user name was not pulled out of the bottom. My question is how do you wind this thing?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Sorry I can’t help you. Like the esteemed Rene used to say, the advice is worth what you are paying for it! And despite your user name, you are the guy asking how to wind a watch...

Your issue would suggest you haven’t done something correctly on the service or you have an incorrect part. I’m not sure how anyone here could help in the absence of actually looking at it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Buddman, If you are that rude, here you get that back. The question was for the owner of Bullhead 2117 as I have expressed it. You don't have any technical clue, so back off!

Only a clown would use fallacy reasoning:

"And despite your user name, you are the guy asking how to wind a watch..."

It is not about to find where you can wind this watch. My question is when you push the crown in, there is absolutely no space to grab the crown to wind it. How do you get around it?

Don't nerve me and let maybe Fred or someone else who has the watch answer this question.

I actually took the watch to my watch maker, who taught me how to service the watch in private sessions. He said, you haven't done nothing wrong, these micro-rotors are very inefficient movements (I have read that more than 100 times about the chronomatic movements in the past 15 years.) He knows the bullhead watch and said that was the last watch Breitling came with before its demise.

Also Craigs, who is considered to be the chronomatic service guy, sold me 2 years ago an elgin 366 with chronomatic movement in it. He wrote I should wind the watch 7-8 rounds every morning.

So keep your insulting advise for yourself, because I won't take any.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:16 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

chrono-matic-guy wrote:
Buddman, If you are that rude, here you get that back. The question was for the owner of Bullhead 2117 as I have expressed it. You don't have any technical clue, so back off!

Only a clown would use fallacy reasoning:

"And despite your user name, you are the guy asking how to wind a watch..."

It is not about to find where you can wind this watch. My question is when you push the crown in, there is absolutely no space to grab the crown to wind it. How do you get around it?

Don't nerve me and let maybe Fred or someone else who has the watch answer this question.

I actually took the watch to my watch maker, who taught me how to service the watch in private sessions. He said, you haven't done nothing wrong, these micro-rotors are very inefficient movements (I have read that more than 100 times about the chronomatic movements in the past 15 years.) He knows the bullhead watch and said that was the last watch Breitling came with before its demise.

Also Craigs, who is considered to be the chronomatic service guy, sold me 2 years ago an elgin 366 with chronomatic movement in it. He wrote I should wind the watch 7-8 rounds every morning.

So keep your insulting advise for yourself, because I won't take any.

I have the same watch, and have no issue at all with mine. IIRC this ref has a specific crown, so maybe yours is not correct.

No one is being rude or insulting to you. You just choose to read it that way I guess, and to be fair no one has chimed in to offer you something better. It’s very difficult given the lack of detail you can provide other than to say (I) it won’t wind and (ii) there is nothing mechanicaly wrong with it, to help you in any way. .

Anyway, that’s it from me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:35 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

buddman wrote:
I have the same watch, and have no issue at all with mine. IIRC this ref has a specific crown, so maybe yours is not correct.

No one is being rude or insulting to you. You just choose to read it that way I guess, and to be fair no one has chimed in to offer you something better. It’s very difficult given the lack of detail you can provide other than to say (I) it won’t wind and (ii) there is nothing mechanicaly wrong with it, to help you in any way. .

Anyway, that’s it from me.

My case is a regular case with the correct special crown. The crown has a specific shape and it would NOT fit in.

'And despite your user name, you are the guy asking how to wind a watch...' IS RUDE.

Breitling and Heuer Service Manual from 1969 suggest on several trouble shooting starting on page 24:
'Wind the watch completely by giving the winding-button 25 turns and ....'
Usually you correct the timing, when the movement is inside the case and it is really hard to turn the crown a few turns, let alone 25 turns on Breitling Bullhead reference 2117, because the crown hide itself inside the case as seen in my attached photo. I bet you didn't even looked at the photo I have attached and started your comment that my crown is wrong.

I guess, The Project 99 engineers, who created the Chronomatic Movement and wrote the service manual for Breitling and Heuer by suggesting to "WIND the watch completely by giving the winding-button 25 turns" to troubleshoot several issues, should have listened to your wise advise:

"Why are you winding it? It’s an automatic movement."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.