Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What have I done ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:41 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Can anyone help and tell me what I’ve done to my watch...only think different was I swam in the Ocean this weekend but watch has been in swimming pools lots of times...pics attached ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: What have I done ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
If that is salt water you need to get that to a service immediately. Water inside is really bad, Salt water is really really really bad. Salt will corrode and damage the movement, dial, and pretty much any and every component of the watch. That needs to get taken care of professionally.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I took the watch to my local store today. The manager wanted me to leave the crown pulled out and draw out the moisture. I told him no as the same could happen again and I'd end up with a damaged watch. He's now sent it back to Breitling.

The warranty card states and 06/06/2015 purchase date and 5 year warranty. Should this repair be covered under warranty?

Also he tried to tell me as I purchased the watch used ( I bought it on this site ) that Breitling may deem the warranty as invalid as they will argue I should have had it serviced after I purchased it 2 years ago when used?

Any thoughts appreciated as I'd like to be in the know when I go back to pick it up.

Thanks,
Dave..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:04 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 20 posts
Hi,
I don't think the warranty is linked to the buyer but to the watch itself. So you should be able to claim the warranty. However the inhouse movement needs to pass a water resistance test every 2 years as mentioned in the warranty booklet and website. I even mentioned this point when I discussed with my AD when buying my first Breitling (Chronomat GMT B04). I'm doing this test every 2 years for my in-house movement watches, it's free after all !
If you have (or previous owner) performed the water resistance tests on time, this should be covered by the warranty.

Extract from the website : https://www.breitling.com/be-en/service ... -warranty/
"Your Breitling watch or chronograph equipped with a mechanical Manufacture Breitling movement are covered by a five-year warranty. The five-year warranty on the mechanical Manufacture Breitling movement is granted on condition that water resistance tests are performed every two years following the date of purchase by an authorized Breitling service center. These tests are conducted free of charge. The warranty takes effect as of the date of purchase of the watch."

Old Navitimer II TwoTone Blue/Yellow Gold
SO 42 LE Orange
Galactic Chrono II 44 Blue dial

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
One of the conditions of the Breitling five year warranty is to have the watch tested after two years for water resistance. This test is done for free. The purpose is to ensure the integrity of the seals in the crown. It would appear that your failure to have the test completed could be the basis for Breitling to refuse to honor the warranty. Keep in mind that Breitling could decline the repair under warranty citing user error. Regardless, you need to have it serviced before additional damage is done!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:09 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
As others have said, Breitling can definitely say this was user error due to not having the proper pressure test done at 2 years. Which could lead to a very expensive service. Hopefully you get someone that wants to be nice and will take care of it for you. But water damage is going to be even more expensive than just a basic service so I would be prepared for a relatively steep bill.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:48 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the feedback all....Clearly I should have taken more time to familiarize myself with the warranty details...live and learn, won’t make the same mistake again that’s for sure...

Any idea what kind of bill I should expect from Breitling UK ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:43 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Breitling UK have come back and quoted €795 for a full service/repair. Seems on the steep side to me but don't have much of a choice to be fair. Hopefully it won't take longer than a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:24 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 37 posts
dmoran wrote:
Breitling UK have come back and quoted €795 for a full service/repair. Seems on the steep side to me but don't have much of a choice to be fair. Hopefully it won't take longer than a couple of weeks.

well, not cheap, as anything breitling, but you'll get a nearly new watch after the service... :-)
regardless of the "waterproof" claims, i never get my watches anywhere near water! i know it sounds silly, as the seawolf quotes 10,000 feet... but it's too easy for them to call "user error"!!!
i love the watches, due to their connection to aviation (and their style, for the older ones), but i started to hate the brand due to many issues that would be too long to describe here...
i'm sure good old leon is turning in his grave! :(

Mark Twain

- -- - -- -

Navitimer World
Avenger Seawolf
SuperOcean
Crosswind Special
Headwind
Montbrillant Datora
SuperOcean Heritage 46