The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hey I’m interested in buying a new Breitling Navitimer 46 mm. The navitimer world or the navitimer 01. Does anyone know which watch is better buy. I know the 01 comes with the in-house movement but is it worth the money. Also are they going to continue to make the navitimer world with the old movement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:48 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
Bushmen wrote:
Hey I’m interested in buying a new Breitling Navitimer 46 mm. The navitimer world or the navitimer 01. Does anyone know which watch is better buy. I know the 01 comes with the in-house movement but is it worth the money. Also are they going to continue to make the navitimer world with the old movement.
Well, now this is a deep subject! First, congratulations on your soon to be purchase of a fine swiss watch with a rich heritage. The heritage of Breitling regardless of a specific model is the chronograph function. Secondly, I believe everyone reading postings posted within have their favorite model, most of these models have a chronograph function. I would certainly adore a Navi with a ETA I believe it is the 7750. A workhorse of a movement entirely reworked by Breitling. However the B01 Breitling is top drawer and a completely in-house movement, along with the B04 and B05. So, I say start your first Breitling with the B01, B04 or B05. I suggest research on you tube, search best chronograph movement and watch Frederico (sp). It is an excellent review of the B01 verses Rolex 4130.
Rob

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Bushmen likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:52 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Tough question as Rob said.

I own Navitimer Heritage which is reworked 7750 and I've chosen it because I like moderate dimensions (42), all black dial and 7750 based movement. I currently own Breitling Chronomat with 7750 and Sinn 103 with 7750 (and owned another Breitling and Fortis with that movement) so saying I'm a 7750 fan is understatement :D .

Easy to service, proved and robust. Never had a problem. I had no B01 (or other Bxx) watches but I expect them to be more expensive to service.

On the other side, I think that having in-house movement is better for resale value.

As for other question regarding future production, we can only guess. After Georges Kern took lead of Breitling the buzzword is slimming. I think that more profit can be made on in-house movements and at the same time reduce number of manufacturing processes and cut uncertainty of new movements supply from ETA. So I would bet on in-house GMT movements in future, and ETA 7750 on bottom of the line Navitimers 41.

Bushmen likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:00 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 18 posts
My first luxury watch was a navitimer world that I purchased brand new. Lovely watch I must say! Now I am a huge navitimer fan, and proceeded to buy two more navis to go along with my world before I sold it. They happened to be 01 movement navis in 43mm. I would go with the 01 personally in 46mm if you are looking at that size watch. You get some more goodies with the instant date change and the see through back imho. I would get one with the wings logo while you still can as well. Even if you go the route of the Navi world can’t go wrong. I never had any issues loved the blue dial, and the gmt complication.

Bushmen likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:03 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 18 posts
Buy either watch previously loved and get better value. Breitlings take huge hit when you buy new, and can be scored on secondary market for good price.

Bushmen likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
It kind of depends on what's most important to you. Are you primarily interested in the aesthetics of the watch or does the movement come into play? If the movement is important, then what aspect of it is important - i.e. are you more interested in something "workhorse" or more "exclusive"? Does servicing cost factor into it for you?

Which movement is 'better' depends on your answers to the above. To some people, a tried and tested ETA-based movement is 'better' as it's been around for decades, so is potentially more reliable, and potentially cheaper/easier to service. To others the 'better' movement is the one that is (slightly!) more exclusive - i.e. the in-house movement as you won't find it in any other watch (apart from Tudor's BBC nowadays in the case of the B01 :roll: ). Plus an in-house movement may have additional features you won't find in a standard ETA - e.g. longer power-reserve, etc.

Personally, I fall into the latter category. For me, a watch is a completely luxury (read "unnecessary") item these day. In other words, my life doesn't depend on my watch, and there are multiple other time-sources around me (phone, laptop, car, etc), so I wear a mechanical watch because I want to, not because I need to. To that end I like the more esoteric elements you tend to find in watches with in-house movements, and I'm prepared to perhaps trade off initial cost and cost of servicing for those elements. Plus, I've long disliked paying increasing high sums of money for new watches that are equipped with ETA's and Sellitas that are also found in considerably cheaper watches. To me a watch needs to be more than just a pretty case. (Obviously I'm simplifying things a little here as Breitling's ETA-based movements are modified from stock, but the principle is the same).

I know that car analogies are often used when described watches, but for me it's quite apt in this case :- people don't buy a Ferrari for it's reliability and to use as their only car: they buy one because a) they WANT it, but don't NEED it, b) they want something a bit different and perhaps with a bit more "soul" than a more mass-produced car, and c) because they have an other run-about for trips to the shops, so the Ferrari is an extravagance to be enjoyed on a more esoteric level. That's how I feel about mechanical watches.

PS - There's no right or wrong here, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with ETA-equipped watches : it all just comes down to what's important to you.

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Flip a coin.
While the coin is in the air figure out which side you want the coin to land on.
Catch the coin, put it in your pocket without looking at it. You've made your choice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:40 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 86 posts
I have a Nav with the ETA caliber and have had a Chronomat with the B01 caliber. I can tell you that both were/are accurate and reliable with normal use and wear. I personally see the Nav as the Flagship of the Breitling line and for that reason like the history of the piece. For me I feel the ETA caliber is a better fit for me as it gives me the history, possible repair capability, and reliability that i want without going into the vintage market. The B01 Chronomat is no longer with me as I did not wear it over the big date Blackbird I own which also has a ETA caliber.
As stated above, you really can not make a wrong choice with the Nav but it needs to be your decision.
Frank.
Ps/: I sold the B01 Chronomat and bought a manual wind Omega Speedmaster with the display back. This gives you an idea as to what and where my tastes in watches falls.

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 37 posts
I bought the Navitimer (AB012012) this year and absolutely love it. One note, the In House movement (B01) gives the watch a 5 year warranty v. a 2 year warranty with the ETA movement. I chose the Navitimer because it is the iconic Breitling and, in my opinion, the best looking watch. Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:29 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
Helderberg wrote:
I have a Nav with the ETA caliber and have had a Chronomat with the B01 caliber. I can tell you that both were/are accurate and reliable with normal use and wear. I personally see the Nav as the Flagship of the Breitling line and for that reason like the history of the piece. For me I feel the ETA caliber is a better fit for me as it gives me the history, possible repair capability, and reliability that i want without going into the vintage market. The B01 Chronomat is no longer with me as I did not wear it over the big date Blackbird I own which also has a ETA caliber.
As stated above, you really can not make a wrong choice with the Nav but it needs to be your decision.
Frank.
Ps/: I sold the B01 Chronomat and bought a manual wind Omega Speedmaster with the display back. This gives you an idea as to what and where my tastes in watches falls.

Expensive, and I say excellent taste.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:08 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 37 posts
tridandroid wrote:
Flip a coin.
While the coin is in the air figure out which side you want the coin to land on.
Catch the coin, put it in your pocket without looking at it. You've made your choice.

:yeahthat
as driver8 said, it's mostly about personal taste, as it basically relates to a non-essential device...
personally, the date at 04:30 messes the aesthetics of the watch. my first ever breitling was a navitimer world and i'll never let it go!
works a treat, is reliable, looks fab on SS bracelet or leather strap and absolutely awesome on a a croc strap...
a real icon and classy or sporty as you like!
go for what's folating your boat...
enjoy your watch, whichever you end up choosing!
all the best,
PG

Mark Twain

- -- - -- -

Navitimer World
Avenger Seawolf
SuperOcean
Crosswind Special
Headwind
Montbrillant Datora
SuperOcean Heritage 46

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
A little late to comment and I am not sure if you have bought your watch.

I guess Driver8's comments pretty summed up everything in this thread. What you are looking for in your watch determines what you should get. I personally get only in house models, not because ETA and Valjoux movements are inferior, but because I expect more from my luxury watch other than just pure reliability, since a luxury watch is a want but not a need. There are many many factors to consider when I choose a luxury watch. The history of the model line, why this watch and this version among the entire line, reliability of the movement, the patents of the movement that you do not find in other brands, the intention of the design and the amount of details they put into the watch to achieve the intended purpose of the watch. I appreciate the watch from all aspects and not just the look.

Where the Navi is concerned, the 01 46mm is the best variant I like among the Navi range because it has all the elements that I am looking for. In-house movement, classic color variant with display caseback. In fact, the Navi 01 LE would have topped my list in every aspect if it had not been the white date window, and it's very rare now. So other than the Navi 01 LE, the Navi 01 46mm to me, is the ideal Navi to have.

Even though Tudor is using B01 for their MT5612, arguably with some better technical modifications, they are not exactly the same, to me. The number of sub dials and the layouts are different(even though it is not considered a difference in terms of technical features among the two). To me the MT5612 is a modified B01, not a B01. And I personally do not accept Tudor claiming MT5612 as their in-house movement too. At the very least, the B01 looks aesthetically better due to the better finishing. That is why a transparent caseback is a must have in my Breitlings to display the magnificent aesthetics of the movement, that ONLY BREITLING HAS.

My personal recommendation is the 01 46mm, but you can't go wrong either way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
IMHO it's not a question of which is "better", that would de depend on the functions you need (GMT or not), the use you'll make (48 or 72 h reserve) of it and your personal taste. You won't be wrong either way. Especially for the latter.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I believe the Navitimer with in-house movement is an all around winner, but to each his own. Both have the Navitimer DNA and will continue to be classics, forget what might sell for a little more and get what you really want!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 285 posts
I visited Andrew Micheals in Newark UK yesterday.I wanted to buy a Navitimer but didn’t know size or movement,spent about 50 minutes and even though I knew about the different movements it didn’t play a part in my choice.I basically tried on a few and fell in love with a blue dial with white sub dial Navitimer 46mm with the B01 movement.This is a very special piece as I have just lost my mum and as I did with my dad I’m going to have the watch engraved. I did this when dad passed away.
Here’s a few pictures of the watch

All the best,
Colin.

Breitling Chronomat Longitude
Breitling Chronospace automatic
Breitling Navitimer B01
Breitling Skyland Avenger
Breitling Skyracer Automatic
G Shock Work Watch

CGS

2 people like this post.