The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:05 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have a vintage 809 which my father-in-law purchased new in the early 60's when he was a pilot.
It does not have the original band and it a bit scratched up on the crystal and back (the photos make it looks worse than it really is) which is a real shame but does work perfectly.
I haven't opened it and don't know anywhere I'd trust enough to do so to find the serial number and take pics of the clockwork.
If anyone could please shed some light on its age or any other info would be great?
I had a 'valuer' offer me AU$2500 even though I don't want to part with it, but I'm sure she was trying to rip me off big time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
The age can best be determined using the serial number which is on the inside of the case back, although there are some that will be able to date it based on the bezel and dial (I cannot).

You are correct that the dealer undervalued it. Whereabouts are you in Australia? I am in Australia too and may be able to help you find a good watchmaker. I'm assuming that because you got a sales valuation you are interested in selling it. If so, you probably don’t want to get it serviced and leave that to any buyer. If you do want to keep it as a family heirloom, then a service is recommended before using it too much more, but who does that is very important (not Breitling by the way).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

arcadelt wrote:
The age can best be determined using the serial number which is on the inside of the case back, although there are some that will be able to date it based on the bezel and dial (I cannot).

You are correct that the dealer undervalued it. Whereabouts are you in Australia? I am in Australia too and may be able to help you find a good watchmaker. I'm assuming that because you got a sales valuation you are interested in selling it. If so, you probably don’t want to get it serviced and leave that to any buyer. If you do want to keep it as a family heirloom, then a service is recommended before using it too much more, but who does that is very important (not Breitling by the way).

Thanks Arcadelt,

I'm in Adelaide.

I wasn't really looking at selling but eventually I'm going to need to buy it from my father in law's estate, hence the valuation.

I do remember he sent it overseas about 7 or 8 years ago for a service, but if I do end up keeping it, it's something that I'd want to have done, and preferably locally.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
the dating is the easiest thing here, as black dial „narrow beaded bezel“ Cosmonaute were only produced in 1962 as far as we know. valuation is tricky, as the hands seem to be service replacements, massively reducing the value, so I‘m having a hard time to come up with a fair value number.

would need better pics of the dial, but afraid lume has been redone too.

in 100% original condition this would be a 10k plus watch.

monolith likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:58 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

monolith wrote:
I do remember he sent it overseas about 7 or 8 years ago for a service, but if I do end up keeping it, it's something that I'd want to have done, and preferably locally.

I have three recommendations for you. All on the East Coast I'm afraid. In no particular order:

Nicholas Hacko Watchmaker

Vintage Watch Co

Horologist

Not withstanding @WatchFred noting that the watch already has some service parts, you should specify to the watchmaker you choose that you want just a service and, wherever possible, you DO NOT want new parts, re-luming of the hands and dial, or any case polishing. This will ensure that the remaining value (such as it is) is retained as far as possible.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:15 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Someone also got back to me with an Adelaide watchmaker:

John Gaskin
Adelaide Time Watch and Clock Repairs
5 Leigh St
Adelaide 5000

Tel: 8212 7653

He said to say to John: "Sir Les sent me". He restored Les' 806 many years ago and the work looked good, but be sure to specify what I indicated before to maintain value.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:12 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for your help guys.
I'm unable to get a better picture of the face as all I have is an iphone but I have uploaded this one, perhaps it will view better than using an IMG link to an external host.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.