Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:56 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Hi All,

I usually only read the forums here, I hope you're willing to give me some advise.
About 2,5 years ago I bought my Breilting Cockpit B50, and i'm a bit confused about service/maintenance.

In Breitling's FAQ i found this:
Quote:
A maintenance service is recommended every 2 years and includes: checking movement parameters and watch functions, changing all seals, checking water resistance, cleaning the case and metal bracelet; changing the battery for quartz watches.
A complete service is recommended every 4 to 6 years and includes: disassembly, cleaning and replacing of standard movement parts, assembly, lubrication, adjustment and setting of movement function parameters; changing all seals, partial changing of hands and checking of water resistance; refurbishment* of the case and metal bracelet; changing the battery for quartz watches.

Since I have the watch for 2,5 years now, i though service might be applicable, but:
- I don't use it anywhere near water
- I don't use it a lot, so cleaning is not really needed
- It has a rechargeable battery, so changing that doesn't seem to apply
I also asked a local AD, who told me that it's basically only a water resistance test, which doesn't seem to be necessary in my case.

Is it safe to skip the maintenance and do full service at 4 years?

Thanks for your advise.

Last edited by pa4wdh on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:05 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
I would go with the 4 year option based on the details you have outlined.
pa4wdh wrote:
Hi All,

I usually only read the forums here, I hope you're willing to give me some advise.
About 2,5 years ago I bought my Breilting Cockpit B50, and i'm a bit confused about service/maintenance.

In Breitling's FAQ i found this:
Quote:
A maintenance service is recommended every 2 years and includes: checking movement parameters and watch functions, changing all seals, checking water resistance, cleaning the case and metal bracelet; changing the battery for quartz watches.
A complete service is recommended every 4 to 6 years and includes: disassembly, cleaning and replacing of standard movement parts, assembly, lubrication, adjustment and setting of movement function parameters; changing all seals, partial changing of hands and checking of water resistance; refurbishment* of the case and metal bracelet; changing the battery for quartz watches.

Since I have the watch for 2,5 years now, i though service might be applicable, but:
- I don't use it anywhere near water
- I don't use it a lot, so cleaning is not really needed
- It has a rechargeable battery, so changing that doesn't seem to apply
I also asked a local AD, who told me that it's basically only a water resistance test, which doesn't seem to be necessary in my case.

Is it safe to skip the maintenance and do full service at 4 years?

Thanks for your advise.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
I’d personally wait for the 4 year mark or even 5 years before taking it in for a service. Some people will recommend that you even wait until the watch stops working.

There are two schools of thought here. Some adopt the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” mentality. Others will argue that by not doing timely services the timekeeping can’t be adjusted for accuracy and the necessary lubrication to keep everything running smoothly can’t be applied.

Definitely something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:38 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
I'm in the don't service it unless it is broken (stops working or the mechanics "feel" rough) camp, unless you swim or dive with it or use it in a very dusty environment, just to ensure the seals are sound.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:23 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Thanks for your replies.

For now I won't do the maintenance service, it just doesn't add enough value for my situation.

As for service in general, I usually prefer to keep things (for example my car) in good condition so they don't break instead of fixing things when they break, so I'll check again when my watch reaches the age of 4 or 5 years.

I do have an other question related to servicing:
I sometimes read horror stories about maintenance, like watches coming back in worse condition than they were before. I do realize that these kind of stories have a larger chance of being shared on the internet than "I sent my watch for service and everything went fine". So in general, what are your experiences with watch servicing at Breitling?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
pa4wdh wrote:
I do have an other question related to servicing:
in general, what are your experiences with watch servicing at Breitling?

I can only comment on my experience with Breitling UK which was very positive. I took my Emergency in to my local AD this time last year for its first (free) service. They sent it off to Breitling & I collected it approx 10 days later looking as good as new. To be fair like you I rarely wear it & never near water. I did have the battery in the Co-Pilot module swapped out by a local jeweller for £5 some time prior but it never came back to haunt me so saved myself a fair amount there too. One thing I have always done in correct the time every 1st of the Month. The watch itself was usually about 1 second out & the Co-Pilot always 3-5 seconds out ish? Following the service & for the last year I have only needed to change the time on the watch maybe twice it maintains 100% accuracy with an atomic clock, the Co-Pilot is still a cple seconds per month out but I can live with that i'm sure it's not nearly as mechanically well balanced as the watch itself. In answer to your question I can highly recommend the service offered by Breitling UK, I even opened a separate savings account with my bank so I can make small monthly contributions towards both biannual & biennial expected bills such as motor insurance, Breitling Service etc simply because its easier to take the hit over 12/24 months or more than all in one go. Like you I plan to have it serviced regularly but not every 2 years because there is zero wear & tear on it.