The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:56 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
IMHO if Breitling was 'expanding' it's reach to new territories while keeping the aviation niche like it was, it would be OK with brand fans.

I think the problem is that, while expanding to new markets, the Breitling link to aviation is rapidly and brutally shrinking in every possible way (to cut costs and enlarge profit margin), until in less then two years, when Breitling Jets team contract expires, all Breitling ties to aviation will be nothing but a WWII pictures.

Maybe it should be noted that most of forum users became Breilting fans during that 'niche' period. So, dissatisfaction could be expected.

New logo idea :D: 百年灵

O2AFAC67 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
Anyway, time will tell, but in the meantime I'm going to fully embrace the old adage of, "If you haven't got anything nice to say, then it's best to say nothing at all".

Please don't Driver, one of the reasons I started this thread was to seek out other individuals opinions. Social media is full of posts and reposts of what Georges Kern is doing, but very few are critical of the direction. Those that do question that direction are sometimes quickly shouted down and told that it is necessary to give Georges Kern time to turn things around. Well, I am willing to give him the opportunity to bring Breitling back to its former glory, but at the same time I am not going to blindly swallow the "Kool-Aid". Although some of the new designs are appealing, I will wait and see before I purchase another watch.

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:17 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
56scooter wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, time will tell, but in the meantime I'm going to fully embrace the old adage of, "If you haven't got anything nice to say, then it's best to say nothing at all".

Please don't Driver, one of the reasons I started this thread was to seek out other individuals opinions. Social media is full of posts and reposts of what Georges Kern is doing, but very few are critical of the direction. Those that do question that direction are sometimes quickly shouted down and told that it is necessary to give Georges Kern time to turn things around. Well, I am willing to give him the opportunity to bring Breitling back to its former glory, but at the same time I am not going to blindly swallow the "Kool-Aid". Although some of the new designs are appealing, I will wait and see before I purchase another watch.

Thanks for that 56scooter, and I totally agree with you in as much as I really DO hope that, given time, things end up going in (what I consider to be) the right direction with Breitling.

To be honest, I really don't envy the task that Kern has accepted, or rather given himself. He's going to have to tread a very fine line of not alienating the current die-hard loyal fan-base, while simultaneously both broadening Breitling's appeal to markets that possibly haven't previously embraced the brand, as well as supporting the current owners' financial ambitions, which (considering they're a private equity firm) will be considerable. Obviously the last two are intrinsically linked, and IMO it's not going to be possible to satisfy all three goals simultaneously, so it appears that at least a proportion of the die-hard fan-base is the thing that's got to give....at least for the moment. Time will tell......

Site Moderator

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:18 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
56scooter wrote:
Quote:
Social media is full of posts and reposts of what Georges Kern is doing, but very few are critical of the direction. Those that do question that direction are sometimes quickly shouted down and told that it is necessary to give Georges Kern time to turn things around.

If that is the case you are a member of the wrong social media forums and groups.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:14 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I don't know if every forum has been so quick to give them a free pass across all forums. I'm willing to give them a pass this year since like Driver said, this isn't going to be an easy task for him. I may not understand some of the moves or designs, but I also realize we're such a small percentage of the customer base that our opinions aren't going to change anything. I see the pictures from the Navi 8 parties and there seems to be plenty of people there interested in the watches, but I wonder once they're available how many of them will actually be purchasing.

I can understand the bike gear if it's tied to charity since it's hard to fault someone for trying to raise money. As CEO, if cycling is his hobby, then more power to him. My only fear is if became a situation like Hublot, where they seem to stamp their name on anything and an unlimited number of limited editions.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:49 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 40 posts
Bring back the pop art.

I don't understand some of the references I've seen, for example, doesn't the newest boutique have an image of Steve McQueen from The Great Escape? A great image and icon, for sure, but can't see any connection with Breitling.

EDIT: not TGE, but pic of McQueen in his motor-racing gear, and with which he's more associated with Tag?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:30 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 335 posts
Driver8 wrote:
WatchFred wrote:
but I assume you can criticize anything ...

Yep, it looks that way, Fred.

To be honest I think you and I are going in completely different directions here, and that's absolutely fine by me - we can't all like the same things. You like Kern's vision, I don't - no problem.

I'm the first to admit I'm not as immersed in the brands history books prior to circa 1990 as you are, so for me Breitling is predominantly about the Schneider period - meaning aviation with some diving activity thrown in - and the whole "Instruments for Professionals" ethos. For me it's definitely not about Brad Pitt and Charlize Theron, motorbikes and surfer "squads", or the niche hobbies of the CEO no matter how tenuously they're linked to the brands' past.

I'd personally prefer evolution rather than revolution because, while I've not liked a lot of their designs since circa 2010/11, Breitling were by far my favourite brand for 20 years, and I liked their unique place in the market. I personally find the new designs generally rather bland, the new website poor, and I'd prefer not to require either a degree in Breitling History or to have to be on personal terms with the CEO to make sense of the current direction.
+1

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery "Flow" or... 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:50 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I know we can all agree to disagree and that's fine, but really, how much has Breitling really changed when you look at the last 10 years ago? The Navitimers are still there with the exception of the Cosmonaute but as Fred has already mentioned, that's just on a break which it gets reworked. The Chronomats are still there, although with less dial choices right now since they just got refreshed. Give it some time and I'm sure we'll see more dial options in the future. We should all be jumping for joy now that the dreaded Buck Rogers font is off the bezel.

I know there are some notable changes, such as the lack of options in the professional range, but the Avenger, Superocean, and Colt lineups really haven't changed too much. I know in the past there were some more offerings, such as the Colt chrono, Colt Quartz, but this goes back to having way too many offerings throughout the entire product line. How many times have we all walked into a Breitling AD and seen a case full of Breitlings? It's because they offer way too many options and overproduce. So if Kern's goal is to slim down the product line and cut back on models, I'm certainly not going to argue with that.

I don't want this to sound like I'm a Kern fanboy, but I still think we need to give him time. This would be a great thread to revive a year from now after Basel to see where they're at.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 30 posts
Me for one am not thrilled with the new direction. After the brand was sold off I feared the new owners will just milk it for what is worth and run the name to the ground. In this case, water down the models in order to reach mass market.

There was nothing about the new navitimer 8 line up that caught my eye. Everything just seems so bland and basic.
I remember when i saw my friend's navitimer for the first time. The detail, the amount of data in the dial, the weight of the piece. My perception of watches changed at that moment. That was a watch for men. Everything else seemed pale in comparison. After that experience I knew I wanted a navitimer as well.
Had he wore a navitimer 8, I don't believe I would have noticed as much.

My biggest gripe with the whole thing is that if you remove the chronograp and slide rule complications then a navitimer stops being a navitimer. That is just a watch or a naked navitimer in this case. I'm mindful that at some point navitimers were basic dials but the model has expanded into so much more since then. It is as if coca cola decided to do away with the red and white label as part of their rebranding. It would be quite a shock since those colors is what you associate with the drink.

Like anything else this is a business and it is not about love or culture is about what sells. If china loves the new direction breitling is pursuing, then all of us who have don't agree with this might as well pack our backs and cling to vinatage models and our VHS tapes ha ha ha.

The only thing I like out of all this is that in order to really enter the chinese market, they will have to start producing more smaller watches. The 38 mm navi offering is a step in the right direction. I have been watiting for a reissue of the navitimer 92.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
ernesto wrote:
...The only thing I like out of all this is that in order to really enter the chinese market, they will have to start producing more smaller watches. The 38 mm navi offering is a step in the right direction. I have been watiting for a reissue of the navitimer 92.

I really wonder and am sad about their self-restriction about not producing "regular" chronographs smaller than 43 mm but now as they've recently announced a 7750-based 41 mm Navi I'm a tad more optimistic on this. Hope the Chronomat 41 will return as well as B01 family based 40 mm Navis/Montbrillants and 42 mm day-date Chrono Superoceans/SOHC-s. That would be nice again.

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:34 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

ernesto wrote:

There was nothing about the new navitimer 8 line up that caught my eye. Everything just seems so bland and basic.
I remember when i saw my friend's navitimer for the first time. The detail, the amount of data in the dial, the weight of the piece. My perception of watches changed at that moment. That was a watch for men. Everything else seemed pale in comparison. After that experience I knew I wanted a navitimer as well.

Did I miss it where the entire Navitimer line disappeared and there was only the Navi 8 series?

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:47 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
ernesto wrote:

Did I miss it where the entire Navitimer line disappeared and there was only the Navi 8 series?
They are still there but personally I don't like the new Navi 1s as much. Don't get me wrong they are still very nice, especially the panda for me, but removing the applied wings logo is taking a step back imo. Almost as much as Panerai putting snap caseback. Although it's more of an esthetic with Breitling I think it cheapens the model somewhat.

As for the Navitimer 41 model I dislike it and wouldn't buy. I think the placement of the B and the writing is out of place and poorly done.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Back in around 1984 there wasn't widespread internet and social media but it would be still extremely interesting to know how the Breitling enthusiasts accepted the arrival of the then new logo with wings&anchor with the beginning of the Schneider times. Maybe a few deeply educated collectors have some vintage papers about reviews etc? How elso could this be known? Maybe some notes within the factory? Not the faintest idea.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:29 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I'm lukewarm about some of the new pieces but I very much like a couple of them. I know, the Navi just seems like it should always be a chrono but I actually like the layout of the three-hander. I came here seven years ago for the Navitimer, picked up a few 'modern' pieces (Steelfish, Headwind) but found my tastes going to smaller, thinner watches. Still like the SOH, still have my favorite Navi, though I'm about to be a complete hypocrite and possibly sell it. (May absolutely regret it but again, liking thinner these days) Give them time to get the new products in order. A 'classic' chronomat or similar might be just the thing to bring a new group (or call some back) to the brand. They're clearly not going away from big watches, like the 8. I don't think the Navi as we know it is going away, either.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:06 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Scott wrote:
I'm lukewarm about some of the new pieces but I very much like a couple of them. I know, the Navi just seems like it should always be a chrono but I actually like the layout of the three-hander. I came here seven years ago for the Navitimer, picked up a few 'modern' pieces (Steelfish, Headwind) but found my tastes going to smaller, thinner watches. Still like the SOH, still have my favorite Navi, though I'm about to be a complete hypocrite and possibly sell it. (May absolutely regret it but again, liking thinner these days) Give them time to get the new products in order. A 'classic' chronomat or similar might be just the thing to bring a new group (or call some back) to the brand. They're clearly not going away from big watches, like the 8. I don't think the Navi as we know it is going away, either.

Try and see the Chrono Cockpit, it's 39 mm only. I have it and love it. Regarding case height around 14 mm the Navi 8 isn't that high. I also wish most of the chronographs (CSO, SOHC, Navi 8, Navi 1, Chronomat, both day-date 7750 and B01 derivates) coming also in 40-41 mm cases. Hope time will bring some shift in case size policy.