Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:40 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hey there,
I’ve never owned a Breitling, and I’m really drawn to the Aerospace evo and the Cockpit B50. I’m interested to see what views you all have on these pieces and if you were going to buy which would it be and why? . Any feedback would be great. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:21 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
I have the B50 and it is my daily worn watch. Very comfortable but it is on the big side. I think the B50 is a newer model as well. Rumor has it that Breitling is moving away from Quartz movements but I would be surprised if the discontinued the B50 as it has a newer SuperQuartz movement. B50 is much easier to use because of the 2 pushers along with the crown and it has a ton of features. Wears very light as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:06 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi Superpop, thanks for your post. I’ve also been following the speculation around the changes to Breitling- logo, dropping Quartz movements etc. interesting times for this brand. Anyway sounds like you’re happy with the B50 as are other owners it seems. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
I've had both, and although the Evo is supremely easy to wear, I prefer the heft of the B50.
I think the 50 is easier to operate too, rather than spinning the small Evo crown around and around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:42 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks 1952

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:38 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
I have owned both. The B50 is gone and the Aerospace 42mm (Previous Model before the EVO) has stayed with me as my de facto travel watch.

I had the B50 Night Mission and while the watch had many positive aspects to it like the battery charging capability and myriad of functions, I can not recommend it.

Too big and thick on the wrist. Yes it is beautifully finished and constructed in titanium but it is still a sized like a hockey puck. The long term reliability of the so called In-house movement which in reality was sourced from Soprod, is still a big question mark.

I had timing problems with mine, it would not keep time within the promised -/+ 15 seconds a year. The watch kept losing time for no apparent reason. The watch went back to BUSA five times and they kept telling me it was well within COSC parameters for superquartz watches which was one giant bowl of BS.

At the end they told the movement could not be regulated!!! Unacceptable on a watch that retails for $8K!!!!

Did I mention how lousy is the resale value of the B50 and these very expensive quartz models? I almost could not give it away and it was practically in mint condition. Ended up selling it to an independent jeweler and lost some cash in the process but was relieved to see it go.

The watch soured me on the whole Breitling ownership experience which has very positive with other quartz pieces until then.

In my opinion, don’t waste your money on expensive quartz. You are better off flushing your hard earned cash down the toilet. Fancy quartz is a hard sell. At those prices you are competing head to head with more sought after mechanical watches. Personally, I would never spend more than $2500-$3000 on a new high end quartz piece.

The warranty of only 2 years is lousy too, considering the expectation of expensive repair and replacement costs down the road.

On the other hand, I kept my trusty ETA based Aerospace. Watch keeps time well within Breitling promised accuracy standard of 15 seconds a year. Mine is within 7 seconds a year. Doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the B50 but guess what? It is a far nicer looking watch, sits great on the wrist, is reliable, any competent watchmaker can service it and it has all the functions that you would ever need or want. Did I mention how ridiculously comfy it is?

I highly recommend the Aerospace. Here is mine:

After I dumped the B50, I replaced it with a brand new Rolex Milgauss GV Z-Blue... No regrets!!

I know, totally different beast from the B50
But love it. I had been wanting to scratch the Rolex itch for a long time and the lousy experience with B50 is what pushed me over the proverbial edge to get the Milgauss.

zak57 likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:45 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

avantgardetime wrote:
I have owned both. The B50 is gone and the Aerospace 42mm (Previous Model before the EVO) has stayed with me as my de facto travel watch.

I had the B50 Night Mission and while the watch had many positive aspects to it like the battery charging capability and myriad of functions, I can not recommend it.

Too big and thick on the wrist. Yes it is beautifully finished and constructed in titanium but it is still a sized like a hockey puck. The long term reliability of the so called In-house movement which in reality was sourced from Soprod, is still a big question mark.

I had timing problems with mine, it would not keep time within the promised -/+ 15 seconds a year. The watch kept losing time for no apparent reason. The watch went back to BUSA five times and they kept telling me it was well within COSC parameters for superquartz watches which was one giant bowl of BS.

At the end they told the movement could not be regulated!!! Unacceptable on a watch that retails for $8K!!!!

Did I mention how lousy is the resale value of the B50 and these very expensive quartz models? I almost could not give it away and it was practically in mint condition. Ended up selling it to an independent jeweler and lost some cash in the process but was relieved to see it go.

The watch soured me on the whole Breitling ownership experience which has very positive with other quartz pieces until then.

In my opinion, don’t waste your money on expensive quartz. You are better off flushing your hard earned cash down the toilet. Fancy quartz is a hard sell. At those prices you are competing head to head with more sought after mechanical watches. Personally, I would never spend more than $2500-$3000 on a new high end quartz piece.

The warranty of only 2 years is lousy too, considering the expectation of expensive repair and replacement costs down the road.

On the other hand, I kept my trusty ETA based Aerospace. Watch keeps time well within Breitling promised accuracy standard of 15 seconds a year. Mine is within 7 seconds a year. Doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the B50 but guess what? It is a far nicer looking watch, sits great on the wrist, is reliable, any competent watchmaker can service it and it has all the functions that you would ever need or want. Did I mention how ridiculously comfy it is?

After I dumped the B50, I replaced it with a brand new Rolex Milgauss GV Z-Blue... No regrets!!

But love it. I had been wanting to scratch the Rolex itch for a long time and the lousy experience with B50 is what pushed me over the proverbial edge to get the Milgauss.

Mate, thanks for such a frank and detailed account of your experience and advice. I really appreciate it. Your Rollie looks just amazing. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
avantgardetime wrote:

The Milgauss is on my list. It looks nice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
I have also owned the B50 [just put it up for sale] as well as every model of Aerospace that Breitling has made from Evo to the first series. They have all been great travel watches but the earlier ones did not have a backlight, which I found to be something of a drawback. The originals were a bit small for me as well, but number one son now wears one on the titanium pilot bracelet. My B50 experience was originally mixed. The watch is a great size and comfortable on my 7.5" wrist. The charging is brilliant and I never had any issues with it. The timekeeping was a problem. At first it would not keep time within spec and it went back to BUSA. The watch purportedly had a programming issue and BUSA sent it back "fixed." Needless to say, it wasn't fixed and still had timing issues. The second time it went to BUSA, the watch tinkerer called and said the problem was the board that made it all go, and it was replaced with a new and updated part. I am glad to say that the watch is indeed fixed and so far, has not deviated at all from the atomic clock. All of that being said, I have many high end quartz watches for the simple reason that I can't be bothered with a winder. I still have two Emergencies, a CA M1, and a B1 SQ. Additionally, I admit that I am an accuracy geek. The thought that the watch can have so little deviation from the atomic clock over the course of a year is immensely appealing to me. While the B50 was last at Breitling, I bought another quartz that I have not taken off my wrist, so the B50 can go and I will keep a B1 SQ for travel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:34 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Lukee wrote:
avantgardetime wrote:

Mate, thanks for such a frank and detailed account of your experience and advice. I really appreciate it. Your Rollie looks just amazing. Thank you.

Sure man, you are welcome!

Best of luck with your decision. Another small piece of unsolicited advice... If you want to scratch the B50 itch get it used or insist on a reasonable discount. Those watches at full retail are a questionable value proposition at best.

Yeah that Milgauss is something else! Love the combo of the green sapphire crystal, rich blue dial and orange thunderbolt seconds hands. The most “fun” Rolex you can get!

Last edited by avantgardetime on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

ItnStln wrote:
avantgardetime wrote:

Thanks my friend. Hope you get yours soon and enjoy it as much as I have mine. Be prepared for the glances and compliments that will be coming your way!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

avantgardetime wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
avantgardetime wrote:

Thanks my friend. Hope you get yours soon and enjoy it as much as I have mine. Be prepared for the glances and compliments that will be coming your way!

Thanks! What drew me to the Milgauss initially was the blue dial and the lightning bolt second hand. I think it's unique.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

termite wrote:
I have also owned the B50 [just put it up for sale] as well as every model of Aerospace that Breitling has made from Evo to the first series. They have all been great travel watches but the earlier ones did not have a backlight, which I found to be something of a drawback. The originals were a bit small for me as well, but number one son now wears one on the titanium pilot bracelet. My B50 experience was originally mixed. The watch is a great size and comfortable on my 7.5" wrist. The charging is brilliant and I never had any issues with it. The timekeeping was a problem. At first it would not keep time within spec and it went back to BUSA. The watch purportedly had a programming issue and BUSA sent it back "fixed." Needless to say, it wasn't fixed and still had timing issues. The second time it went to BUSA, the watch tinkerer called and said the problem was the board that made it all go, and it was replaced with a new and updated part. I am glad to say that the watch is indeed fixed and so far, has not deviated at all from the atomic clock. All of that being said, I have many high end quartz watches for the simple reason that I can't be bothered with a winder. I still have two Emergencies, a CA M1, and a B1 SQ. Additionally, I admit that I am an accuracy geek. The thought that the watch can have so little deviation from the atomic clock over the course of a year is immensely appealing to me. While the B50 was last at Breitling, I bought another quartz that I have not taken off my wrist, so the B50 can go and I will keep a B1 SQ for travel.

Dear Termite,

Your B50 repair experience had a much happier ending than mine. At least BUSA owned up to the timekeeping issues and fixed it. Mine, on the other hand, refused to fix it. It went back and forth 5 times to BUSA and every single time they would tell me with a straight face that it was within spec and there was nothing they could do. In hindsight had they made a genuine attempt at troubleshooting and repairing the watch, I would have kept it to this day. But I am glad they were total jerks about it because that pushed me into the world of Rolex ownership which product and service are in a whole different league.

Same as you, I am an accuracy freak. In the last 10 years owned mostly thermos compensated quartz watches from Grand Seiko, Citizen Chronomaster and Breitling. Also many Seiko and Grand Seiko Spring Drives thrown in for good measure.

But you know what, I am enjoying my “Imprecise” Rolex Milgauss immensely. So liberating not been OCD about losing or gaining hundredths of a second per day. My Aerospace those that kind of timekeeping quite well while providing a good and comfortable watch for my current lifestyle.

The Rolex is has incredibly consistent timekeeping. It never gains more than 1.5 seconds a day no matter the resting position of the watch or how many hours is worn on the wrist. You have to give Rolex credit for the stringent movement engineering and regulation standards.

Going back to the B50, the dumbest thing I ever did was to sell my then pristine Breitling Airwolf LE Caliber 78 for it. I do miss that watch. It was heavy and shiny but I loved it. I felt it’s build quality and timekeeping was superior to the B50. I am sure you feel the same way about your B1. My advice... Don’t ever sell it!. Those old school ETA based Breitling SQ Ana-digis are simply the best. Battery changes and all!.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

ItnStln wrote:
avantgardetime wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
[quote="avantgardetime"]After I dumped the B50, I replaced it with a brand new Rolex Milgauss GV Z-Blue... No regrets!!

Thanks! What drew me to the Milgauss initially was the blue dial and the lightning bolt second hand. I think it's unique.[/quote]

Yes very unique indeed. The GV green sapphire involves a very complicated manufacturing process according to Rolex and it is not offered on any other Rolex watches outside of the Milgauss. Same for the thunderbolt seconds hand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

avantgardetime wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
avantgardetime wrote:
[quote="ItnStln"][quote="avantgardetime"]After I dumped the B50, I replaced it with a brand new Rolex Milgauss GV Z-Blue... No regrets!!

Thanks! What drew me to the Milgauss initially was the blue dial and the lightning bolt second hand. I think it's unique.[/quote]

Yes very unique indeed. The GV green sapphire involves a very complicated manufacturing process according to Rolex and it is not offered on any other Rolex watches outside of the Milgauss. Same for the thunderbolt seconds hand.[/quote]
What’s GV green sapphire? I looked at the Milgauss again and now I can’t decide if I want the blue or the black.