The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Today I had a call from an AD I know to tell me that the very first of the brand new 126600 SeaDwellers had arrived in-store, and while I couldn't buy this one (this AD sticks strictly to their waiting list order and I'm sadly not top of the list), they very kindly said I could pop in to have a look at it....so that's exactly what I did!

And................., it's absolutely SUPERB in person!

The case size is perfect, especially as they've used a much more traditional case shape compared to the "supercase" of my GMT and the current Sub. Personally it's only the supercase shape that makes the 40mm GMT an option for me, as the older SD4K (also at 40mm, but with the more traditional case shape) wore far too small on my wrist. This slightly larger size makes the traditional case shape work perfectly IMO.

The guy also helpfully had a pair of calipers to hand (not digital ones sadly, but perfectly serviceable) and I can FINALLY confirm that the case is approximately 15mm thick (excluding the cyclops). That makes it only 2mm thicker than my GMT, and a 2.7mm thinner than a Deepsea....again, a perfect size.

Additionally I can confirm that the lugs are 22mm, which definitely makes the bracelet in proportion to the head (something that the Deepsea has always struggled with). Also, the main body of the clasp is a little wider too, meaning less of a taper on the bracelet.

As is usual with Rolex everything is finished to the highest possible degree, plus the fact that it's also running the new 3235 70 hour power reserve movement, makes it an immensely attractive watch.

Lastly, a quick mention for the cyclops. While I'm certainly not one of those rabid Rolex fanatics who would like us to believe the world will stop turning because the SD now has a cyclops, I must be honest and say that the presence of the cyclops doesn't make it FEEL like a traditional SeaDweller in your hand. That said it doesn't feel like a Sub either, or a Deepsea : it's very much it's own thing. Obviously this now IS the new SD, so this is what the SD feels like from now on, but just at the moment it feels like something different. So I guess I can grudgingly appreciate how some traditionalists may struggle to reconcile it's presence on the SD, but that also misses the point that everything evolves and moves on. That said, I have absolutely ZERO issue with the cyclops being there, so again for me it's all good! :thumbsup:

In summary, I'm going to stick my neck out and say it is the PERFECT Rolex for me. I literally cannot find a single fault with it. The dimensions, the case shape, the bracelet, the clasp, the movement, the finish, the red wording, and yes even the cyclops - all of it - PERFECT. :thumbsup:

Anyway, onto a few pics on my 7.75" wrist. (Note - Close-up pictures always seem to make watch look a little bigger on the wrist than it really is due to foreshortening, but it should give an idea) -

And a couple next to my BLNR for comparison purposes -

I think this next one really shows how much better proportioned the 22mm lugs are for the head compared to my GMT -

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:43 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I like it, but I still picture the Seadweller without the cyclops. I'm not against it in any way but that's the only thing I would change about this watch. If this was available when I got my SubC 5 years ago, I would've gotten this model.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:07 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Mightn't Rolex offer this model sans Cyclops down the road? The Sub is available in such a version, why not the Sea Dweller? I guess what strikes me as odd is that the purpose of the Cyclops is to make viewing the date easier -- but, is it really important to emphasize the date aspect of a watch that is, in essence, a dedicated diver?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
I love it Driver8. Do you think this would fit a 7inch wrist also or the watch seems too large?

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:57 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 5 posts
Great pics, thanks for sharing! Any idea when you'll get your SeaDweller? Initial availability in the UK seemed pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:18 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I have to honestly say that you are getting the 2 best models in the Rolex range. You seriously can't get better than that. High WR and Power Reserve. All round minute indicator on the bezel which makes it look more balanced as compared to a Sub bezel. I love the red wordings on the dial as it adds character to the watch to prevent it from looking over generic.

If I have to pick something that I dislike about this watch, I would say in functional sense, the way they input the minute markings on the bezel. The first 15 min has 4 per min indicator before the next "5 min mark" ( I know they want a more precise indication for timing the decompression phase) while majority of the rest only have 3, except the last 5 min between the 55 min and 60 min where there are 4 per min indicator again. It is not obvious from aesthetic sense. However if you actually look carefully, this "inconsistency" on the bezel looks "all over the shop", which I find it quite messy. This actually causes visual confusion and delays retrieve of information in the shortest possible time if the user were to use the bezel for other purposes. I would have given this a major thumbs down if this had been a pilot's watch, where "reading at a glance" would be critical. However on account that it's a diver's watch, I would think it's alright, since they tend to place more emphasis on the first 15 min. However I feel that something could be done to correct this as it shouldn't be a difficult task to have 4 per min indicator on the entire bezel, which would have made it more user friendly.

I personally love the cyclops and think it's an iconic feature of a Rolex so I welcome this very much. However as mentioned by Jim, this is not critical for a diver's watch. Perhaps it is a showcase of their achievement to install the cyclops on a watch with a higher WR.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:20 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Chronomat01LE wrote:
If I have to pick something that I dislike about this watch, I would say in functional sense, the way they input the minute markings on the bezel. The first 15 min has 4 per min indicator before the next "5 min mark" ( I know they want a more precise indication for timing the decompression phase) while majority of the rest only have 3, except the last 5 min between the 55 min and 60 min where there are 4 per min indicator again. It is not obvious from aesthetic sense. However if you actually look carefully, this "inconsistency" on the bezel looks "all over the shop", which I find it quite messy. This actually causes visual confusion and delays retrieve of information in the shortest possible time if the user were to use the bezel for other purposes. I would have given this a major thumbs down if this had been a pilot's watch, where "reading at a glance" would be critical. However on account that it's a diver's watch, I would think it's alright, since they tend to place more emphasis on the first 15 min. However I feel that something could be done to correct this as it shouldn't be a difficult task to have 4 per min indicator on the entire bezel, which would have made it more user friendly.

Do you know what? I've never noticed that before! I've just checked and the Deepsea is the same with the minute markers. It doesn't bother me at all, but I just can't believe I never noticed it before. :D

@Huttfuzz - I think how it wears on your 7" wrist will be a little dependent on your wrist shape : flat on top vs round. But to be honest the size of the dial probably makes it wear a little smaller than you might imagine, especially if you compare it to something like a 44mm Panerai. I think you'll probably be fine.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:22 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:

Do you know what? I've never noticed that before! I've just checked and the Deepsea is the same with the minute markers. It doesn't bother me at all, but I just can't believe I never noticed it before. :D

@Huttfuzz - I think how it wears on your 7" wrist will be a little dependent on your wrist shape : flat on top vs round. But to be honest the size of the dial probably makes it wear a little smaller than you might imagine, especially if you compare it to something like a 44mm Panerai. I think you'll probably be fine.

Ok thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:17 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
A great review, I really am attracted to this piece, I will have to see it for myself in the flesh still but definitely a contender! Thanks man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:02 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
For someone who was thinking about picking up a Deepsea later this year... This makes me second guess things.

SuperOcean Steelfish

Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT

G-Shocks
GWF-D1000-1JF Frogman

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
systematic.entropy wrote:
For someone who was thinking about picking up a Deepsea later this year... This makes me second guess things.

Unless you have tree-trunk wrists I really would rethink, yes.

See eg the review @

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEgMUAMv_yE

- where he makes the point that the wider bracelet on the new SD much better balances the watch head than the old thin bracelet on the DSSD.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Certainly a nice review and nice pictures as well.