Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:58 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Follow up post: 05-10-16 - A happy ending to this B50 story
Yesterday they called and said this was the first problem like this they had seen with a new Bling in their store. They asked Breitling to send a replacement watch overnight which they did and I picked it up yesterday. Checked it out last night. This example works perfectly. Thank you Breitling; thank you seller. End of story.

PS: FYI, as I understand it, if you pay for a watch (or anything expensive) using an AMEX Platinum Card and it's lost, stolen, accidentally damaged or as in this case defective merchandise and claim it within 60 days, AMEX Assurance will reimburse the charge and if all is well with the purchase the program has a benefit that extends the warranty one year beyond the manufacturers warranty.....a significant bonus if you keep all the receipts and paper work so you can prove the dates.

Followup post: 05-10-16:
The store emailed to confirm Breitling is sending a replacement B50. It is already on the way. What a relief. That is outstanding service.

Followup to the followup post: 05-07-16:
The store manager contacted the company (I suppose he talked to Mr or Mrs Breitling) to ask them to send a replacement B50 so I did not have to wait for the defective one to go through a warranty claim and surgery. That's usually not the way it works but its what a REPUTABLE, walk-in store does that an on-line seller most likely would not do for a customer.

Followup post: 05-07-16 (see 05-05-16 below)
This was purchased using credit card with 60 day window to submit a claim (for defective merchandise) if necessary. That is a nuclear option to avoid if possible. Seller is an AD, reputable, legitimate and I believe concerned about my satisfaction. So I brought the watch back in and they took one look and agreed it is defective.

So they are sending my brand new watch out for "repair" under warranty and promised it will not take that long. Still not comfortable with the whole idea. It is not the seller's fault but IMHO Breitling should replace a brand new but defective watch for a customer overnight with no argument. Apparently that's not the way they work. I still have 57 days to dispute the charge with the cc company.

Original Posted: 05-05-16
I was excited to receive the new Cockpit B50 three days ago 05-02-16; the titanium bracelet, black faced version. It was ordered and purchased from a Breitling AD in my area with an impressive store and reputation. I am a guy who actually reads the manuals. I will say at the outset that my treatment by the seller was excellent. Pricing aside the watch has unique functions and I like the way it looks.

I took it out of the box, set the time and started to run through its functions one at a time as listed in the manual. All worked as described. I was so happy until I noticed one thing wrong. The third digit in the bottom display was not lighting up and only partly visible with or without backlighting. What that means in this case is that a zero in that position looks like something else except not the digit that should be displayed; not good.

So now what Breitling? I have a three-day old watch malfunctioning out of the box. I doubt its going to fix itself? Great, I have to give it up for a couple of months so they can do open heart surgery and fix it. That's like needing an engine rebuild on a new Ferrari you just drove off the lot (I have a garage full of those). Not my idea of a "new" watch anymore once it comes back; even if it's working.

I did have high expectations in making this purchase that have not been fulfilled. Malfunction aside I like the watch and think highly of Breitling. I will post a follow up.

Last edited by jbreiner on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 25 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:09 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
If you payed for the watch with a credit card you will have buyer's protection and you can certainly contest the charge if the goods are not fit for purpose. This is why I tell people, before buying always familiarize yourself with the merchant's return/refund policies so there are no surprises if things go south.

Never pay for major purchases in cash! Little to no recourse!!!

Politely ask for an exchange or refund, if not get the credit card involved in the dispute.

Your watch while new and untouched may still be older stock from early 2014. The only way to determine the date of manufacture is by removing the bracelet on the 6 o clock side of the case and see the printed date code.

I have a B50 and so far very happy with it. I think this watch is excellent and deserves a second chance in my opinion.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by avantgardetime on Thu May 05, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:12 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I hope you haven't sized the bracelet....

jbreiner likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Well that is why you have a warranty. New cars break down too and stories of new engines and transmissions on factory fresh cars are unfortunately not uncommon.

I understand your predicament. In your shoes I would politely but firmly demand a new replacement watch if a refund is not available.

Did you buy from AD or grey market??

jbreiner likes this post.