Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does anyone wear black?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:49 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I've perused the gallery and "watch of the day" thread and see very few black models pictured. I'm shopping for my first Breitling, and am partial to the black models. Are they avoided for any particular reason or is it just a matter of taste?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:07 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Mixed views on the forum. Some like them, some tend to avoid partly for aesthetic reasons and some because damage to the coating is nigh on impossible to rectify. Stainless steel and titanium can be polished/brushed to remove or reduce the evidence of damage. I like some of the black steel models but have avoided them as I don't think I could live with a watch with damaged coating.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

Helderberg likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 11 posts
I love the look, but they are just so easily damaged. I just sold my last black coated watch a couple weeks ago. When the stainless gets swirls or a scratch from a door jamb, you can just work on it with a cape cod or some simichrome for 10 minutes and it's like new. When the black coating gets scratched, it's permanent. Brushed stainless or titanium can even be repaired at home with a kit, albeit with a lot more work and time than polished. If they could figure out a way to make the black coated watches durable, I'd be all over them. They are really cool and tactical looking.

Helderberg likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:17 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 37 posts
tech10002 wrote:
I love the look, but they are just so easily damaged. I just sold my last black coated watch a couple weeks ago. When the stainless gets swirls or a scratch from a door jamb, you can just work on it with a cape cod or some simichrome for 10 minutes and it's like new. When the black coating gets scratched, it's permanent. Brushed stainless or titanium can even be repaired at home with a kit, albeit with a lot more work and time than polished. If they could figure out a way to make the black coated watches durable, I'd be all over them. They are really cool and tactical looking.

agree... i love the look but they are easily hurt!
shame...

Mark Twain

- -- - -- -

Navitimer World
Avenger Seawolf
SuperOcean
Crosswind Special
Headwind
Montbrillant Datora
SuperOcean Heritage 46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:19 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 13 posts
I think I would think twice for the same reason

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
I love them.
From my experience, Breitling Black DLC is extremely scratch resistant and durable, but still, I wouldnt wear one as my daily beater.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:36 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 10 posts
I have two Titanium, two stainless and my SAII in DLC. I also have the DLC Ocean Classic mesh on it, and yes, I was and am concerned every time I wear it that I'll scuff the finish. Had it for 12 months now and whilst I certainly don't wear it every day it still looks as good as the day I bought it. Can't say the same for the canvas and leather strap that was on it as that lasted about 3 months before the keeper split.

I would say though, I am extremely careful with all of my Breitlings, although my 'tool Aerospace Avantage' is worn in a much more harsh environment than any of the others.

Had
2013 Avenger Seawolf SS yellow Arabic dial
2010 Aerospace Avantage black dial & Co-pilot
2007 Aerospace Repetition Minutes
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:46 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
I dont know if this helps...I banged my newly aquired CS Blacksteel against a door knob a couple of days ago. I was so scared to look :shock: but to my surprise the ding located on one of the lugs remained black and didn't show the silver. The blackened metal looks like a dyed piece of steel, not a painted coating.
I will post a couple of pics later.

AirbusA330 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:02 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 10 posts
I also had a couple of close calls on my black titanium B50 and Avenger BB. Both have no signs of wear But then they are not my daily beaters.

I'm usually very careful but was surprised when getting out of a tight parking space and my hand was close to the B pillar. Even though it was not a hard bang, it did get scrape against the metal. My heart sank but was surprisingly unblemished. Well, if it can hold for such daily bangs, then IMO its good enough for now. If it does get bent/scraped badly then in those one-odd cases, the case/bezel can be replaced. Would be nice if they are a little less expensive! :strummin:

If the dings are bad, even polished SS parts would need replacing, if it has to look new!

pEaCe :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:12 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
It may sound odd, but on one level I think Black watches can sometimes look cheap. I have two black watches that I do like, but I catch them in certain lights and situations occasionally, and they can look below par.

Its also personal preference and the level of concern on coated cases (amongst other things), as to whether you buy or not, but I think its also which particular watch the black is applied to. Some look better than others. I think that's why I opt for the Omega Speedmaster Lunar Dust (sorry, Grey Side of he Moon) and not the Dark Side of the Moon. Just something about that grey versus black finish that is enough for me to bypass the black. I have yet to see the Black Black or the others in real life, so I can't comment on those.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
I thought the material that Breitling used for its black steel watches was pretty rugged, no?

Also, if you send a black steel watch in for maintenance, would Breitling fix scratches to the finish?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's rugged compared with most costings but can still wear / scratch. It can't be touched up, only solution is to have the entire case retreated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
I have quickly sold every DLC watch that I have ever bought and each time I pledge to myself that never again will a DLC watch be in the rotation; surprisingly, that resolution has held firm for a few years...one mark in the DLC and that is all that I see when I put the watch on.

P51 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
" I think its also which particular watch the black is applied to. Some look better than others. I think that's why I opt for the Omega Speedmaster Lunar Dust (sorry, Grey Side of he Moon) and not the Dark Side of the Moon."

I was under the impression that the Dark Side of the Moon had a thru and thru black ceramic case, if you were to "ding" it then it would leave a mark but there would be no shine to it. Breitling's DLC is a coating and if it scratches then you would see the stainless and or Titanium that exists under the coating! I think that you would have to compare "apples to apples" before making a final decision.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
@56scooter - yes the Dark Side of the Moon is solid black ceramic. I think P51 was just refer to how he feels that black works better on certain watches, not that the DSotM was a coating.

Site Moderator

P51 likes this post.