Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Hi All,

I have another question for you. I have an old rolex 10 1/2 hunter, I've replaced the balance staff successfully which has lovely free movement but as soon as the hairspring get put on its not so free. I've played with the shape of the spring which has made it a lot better but it still isn't 100% and the watch only just runs and for about 5 - 10 seconds. I'm thinking of just replacing the hairspring but finding one seems quite difficult. Does anyone who where I can get one from at a reasonable price, a compete balance is only a little bit less than what I purchased the watch for in the first place.

Thanks in advanced,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I'm also looking for a 710 cal (101/2 hunter) pallet fork if anyone knows of one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:54 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Perks wrote:
Hi All,
I've played with the shape of the spring which has made it a lot better but it still isn't 100% and the watch only just runs and for about 5 - 10 seconds.
Chris

I'm not sure what your experience level is, so I hope I don't insult you.

I assume the balance motion without the hairspring is driven by the pallet fork and roller jewel. With no hairspring, the pallet fork should provide enough impulse to overbank the balance wheel.

Hairspringing is one of the most tedious parts of watch repair. It sounds like the coils are touching when the balance is in motion. That will prevent the balance from establishing sufficient motion to keep the watch running.

I've been doing this for over fifty years. I only touch a damaged hairspring when I can't get a complete balance replacement unit. I would look for a good balance from another donor movement. Otherwise, you could easily spend hours working on the hairspring with no good result at the end.

Good luck!

Super Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:05 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks for your reply, I've been teaching myself as a hobby for about 10 - 12 months now so not a great deal of experiance.

I've repaired a few hairpsring before but got a little stuck on this one. I was doing okay until, after quite a while shaping it, I lost concertration for a split second and twisted the hairspring (After the initial post). I've never had any luck with a twist and have only repaired the coil shape before. I've had a look for a complete balance but at $400 plus shipping to the UK (plus Vat, Duty etc) its more than the watch cost me in the first place. Plus I have already replaced the balance staff, one of my first successful ones, and would like to use the reapired wheel.