Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:47 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
GORT wrote:
Send it to Breitling, don't screw around.

Yep, I second that.
Your watch had not been serviced for 10 years at least.
Get it properly serviced and it will come back looking and working like new with an international 12 month Breitling warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:30 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Agreed! It's with them right now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:17 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
I got to this thread by searching "battery replacement damage". Has anyone ever heard of a Breitling certified repair shop claiming the very act of replacing an Aerospace battery can damage the watch's circuit board? I had the watch overhauled by the factory 2011 and have been very satisfied by factory service; now in 2015 after getting the watch back with a new battery the LCD was still flashing which is why I brought it to service in the first place 4 years after the factory overhaul; a reasonable expectation. The Breitling dealer said it has been known that replacing the battery can sometimes ruin the circuit board causing the LCD to flash as if the battery still needs replacing. I think when I agreed to a "soft" cleaning at reduced $180 (from $230) they just forgot to replace the battery. Thankfully the jeweler is a Breitling dealer and high end store concerned about reputation so they said they would send back to the repairshop/or factory if necessary absorbing the cost of replacing the circuit board; if needed. I know my overhaul cost $550 4 years ago so was relieved.

Again has anyone ever heard that Aerospace models can blow out the circuit board by just replacing the battery with a certified repair shop?

Thanks in advance for any insights
Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
trymph wrote:
Again has anyone ever heard that Aerospace models can blow out the circuit board by just replacing the battery with a certified repair shop?

Only if they are actionably incompetent. They are liable for the complete restoration and repair of the watch, accept nothing less.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:34 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

As it turned out I happened to get a call later the same day of my post that my watch was ready. They put a new battery in it and all is well. Not sure if I should use this shop anymore as I'm suspicious that they may have just forgotten to install the new battery in the first place. They still maintain that new batteries can blow out the circuits of an Aerospace. Also they say Breitling recommends new battery every 2 years and a factory overhaul every 4 years. That would make owning an Aerospace cost around $700 every 5 years. I don't believe that. Any comments....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Who are these clowns? Breitling's stated battery life for the Aerospace is 3-4 years. With the Aerospace, common advice to is to have the overhaul service every second battery change, i.e 6-8.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:34 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I never looked it up at the Breitling site but that's somehow what I've been doing and I've owned this Aerospace for 22 years.

Thanks
Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
trymph wrote:
As it turned out I happened to get a call later the same day of my post that my watch was ready. They put a new battery in it and all is well. Not sure if I should use this shop anymore as I'm suspicious that they may have just forgotten to install the new battery in the first place. They still maintain that new batteries can blow out the circuits of an Aerospace. Also they say Breitling recommends new battery every 2 years and a factory overhaul every 4 years. That would make owning an Aerospace cost around $700 every 5 years. I don't believe that. Any comments....

My Aerospace battery lasted 5 1/2 years. I just had it replaced as well as a complete service by Breitling USA 4 months ago.
The watch was purchased in 2009 and this was the first battery replacement and overhaul. No issues since.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Whats it been.......just over a month. This morning I look down and its 10:30 cant believe the morning went so fast at work. My bud next to me says hell its only 08:30............UT oh this new battery quit without even flashing and mustve happened 22:30 night before. Any one ever hear of a new battery just going black on the LCD's of an Aerospace? Also the mechanicals time set using the post pulled out had NO EFFECT on the watch hands. Could've the dealer been right that sometimes a new battery can blow out the whole circuit(s) and even mechanical time setting wont work? I hope the dealer stands by that original offer to cover factory overhaul they promised when I first complained that I brought it in with a flashing LCD and it came home the same way. Anyone ever hear of this kind of symptom deader than a doornail 1 month after new battery?

Regards
Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:09 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

<UPDATE> Good news is the dealer sent to the factory for new circuit replacement and they covered the cost.... yahooooo! BUT <1 month later my LCD is now flashing at the time of this post>. Dealer says factory will warranty and we will send it back for investigation leading to repair.

My latest question is about the "SUPER" Quartz movement vs original which I presume is what I have (my LCD windows top/bottom are old style same size if that is any indication). I've been reading the forum about this subject and may have it wrong.

Anyone know if my F56061 Aerospace is "OLD" Quartz circuits and should I insist on update to the "SUPER" version or is that even possible?

I dont care about integrity of OLDvsSUPER quartz circuits and its impact on the appearance of the LCDs; if that even is a correct conclusion. Coments please....

Thanks
Bruce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
'SuperQuartz' is simply Breitling's term for thermo-compensated (ETA Thermoline). I believe it is what is now installed as a matter of course.