Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:31 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,

First post here following a google search for help, so hopefully I won't mess it up.

I have had a Breitling watch for just over 10 years. Last year it warned me to replace the battery so I took it to my local jeweller who was authorised by Breitling. They kept it for a month and then returned it with a new battery, all sealed etc.

NB: I don't use the watch that often, so the following problem wasn't immediately noticeable.

Sometime after the battery replacement I noticed that the date got stuck between days, and the minute hand lagged by about 5 minutes once every month or so. As the date issue I thought could've been me not changing it properly (the wheel is pretty stiff), and the minute hand issue was hard to detect I didn't immediately spot it, but eventually I recognised that something wasn't right with my watch. Remembering the guarantee I got with the repair, I returned the watch to the jewellers to fix. They accepted the watch and took it away to be looked at.

2 months later I got the watch back. The jeweller stated that "the problem had nothing to do with the battery replacement or reseal, but we've fixed it as a goodwill gesture." I thought "Ok, no problem - at least it's fixed." but the following day I saw that the date issue was still there.

I immediately took it back to the jewellers and they said I needed to get it looked at as a repair and that they would charge me for it. The reason: "You haven't had it serviced for 10 years. Something was bound to go wrong eventually. We're not responsible."

Now, in retrospect I agree I should've had it serviced at the 5 year mark, but the fact that they took it back originally without stating that it would cost me anything, opened it up and did something to it they cannot now wash their hands of any involvement can they?

They have the watch at the moment and are putting together a quote for me. Problem with that is that the quote is from the same guy who supposedly fixed my watch originally and who originally changed the battery. They will also be sending me a quote from Breitling, which I know will be much more expensive.

I am avoiding mentioning the name of the jewellers on purpose, but I can say that they are a long-standing, well-respected business and Official Rolex Retailer. Not that means much to me if they're being slippery...

Thoughts on how this sounds to anyone? Am I being unreasonable in thinking they should fix it as they accepted the warranty claim?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:41 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I think after 10 years the watch needs 'proper' servicing by Breitling. Unauthorised service, especially when the watch is way past the service window is not a good idea and wouldn't be something I would consider. To me this is a situation where the cost of doing it more cheaply could be far higher! If I were the retailer I also wouldn't accept responsibility for a service need unconnected with the battery change.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:41 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Did they fix the hand issue or is that still a problem? So they thought they could fix the date issue but couldn't.

As to there consumer responsibility the test is; is what they offered 'realistic' and did you get every confidence from them they would fix the problems 100%. Yes to the first part and probably no to the second. Or at least if that had been the conversation you would have been in a better position to know the probable outcome. If they said sure thing to a fix and couldn't, then it's there problem. Either way I'd send it off to Breitling or find another authorised repairer. The AD has had two shots at it and is now found wanting. Time to move on I think and don't look back.

"You have Control".

mattdevney likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
You can do things the "right" way or do things the "cheap" way. The cheap way usually doesn't work out all that great.

It's been 10 years, it needs serviced properly, send it to Breitling.

Elgin-Hamilton 37500 (Aircraft Clock)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:04 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks all for your replies.

I'd like to point out that I know I need to get my watch serviced by Breitling, and not by this jeweller. I honestly did not think about it before the battery went - it just didn't occur to me (never owned an expensive watch before, didn't wear it often). But those are mainly excuses for leaving it - lesson learnt there. Also, I never thought I was going the cheap route in the first place - £60 for a new battery didn't sound too cheap to me, but I suppose it's all subjective.

I don't know about the minute hand issue - it occurs too slowly to detect in this timeframe.

I'm annoyed that they tried to tell me that they fixed it and obviously did nothing. And I worry that they may have made it worse when trying to fix it. It certainly didn't get any better, so exactly what did they do?
I suspect the battery replacement and subsequent issues are connected, mainly because now I doubt their skills. Ideally, I'd like them to recompense me for some of the cost of sending it to Breitling, but ONLY IF they could've mucked up my watch when they changed the battery.

Also, they steam cleaned the exterior, which removed some of the black 'detail' in the bezel - 15, 30, 45, and the minute markers. Is there a way to 'paint' that back in?

Also, is it normal for them to take your watch for over a month? Seems rather long...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Breitling official service will take longer than a month, and the paint is paint and can be replaced. Steam cleaning a watch case on the other hand is an extremely bizarre approach to cleaning and would make me run a mile from that jeweler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
mattdevney wrote:
Also, they steam cleaned the exterior, which removed some of the black 'detail' in the bezel - 15, 30, 45, and the minute markers. Is there a way to 'paint' that back in?

Please tell us you're kidding.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:33 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

They told me off it in a very matter of fact way - I presumed this was the norm?

Obviously not.

You know normally I'm considered as something of a cynical, suspicious, hard to fool guy when it comes to retailers, salespeople and dodgy types, but I guess I was fooled by their superior attitude.
Once again, live and learn...

Should I say who they are?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I think if you're confident that you've confined yourself to statements of fact then it wouldn't be improper to name who they are; others may have had good/bad experiences which they might share.

But if it's really the case that they damaged the bezel when cleaning it then theyare clearly required to put right that damage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Lister Horsfall of Halifax: www.listerhorsfall.co.uk (not much there)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

mattdevney wrote:
Lister Horsfall of Halifax: http://www.listerhorsfall.co.uk (not much there)

They are listed on the Breitling website as an AD but not listed on the website @

http://www.breitling.com/en/service/centers/GB

as an authorised service centre (which a much smaller number of outlets are, hence many here simply send their watches directly to BUK in Tunbridge Wells). Do you know whether they did this work or simply sent it off (as most ADs who are not authorised service centres would) to BUK?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

They sent it off, but I don't believe it went to BUK. Otherwise the battery would've cost more than £60, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Here's what Lister's have got from Breitling:

Here are the estimates for your Breitling watch as discussed Monday 23/2/15.

Necessary Work – Complete Overhaul
Exchange of Hands
ESTIMATE £375.00

Optional Work – Exchange of crystal – existing is scratched £90.00
Exchange of middle case – existing is scratched and dented £275.00
Please note: the refurbishment may not remove all marks.

Does that sound about right? Any idea how the hands have come to need replacing?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The hands are single-use and are therefore always replaced at an overhaul service - as you can see from the structure of the quote it's included in the price.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:17 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 8 posts
Send it to Breitling, don't screw around.

Current watches:
None of your business!