Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:38 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello all,

I'm brand new here but have been lurking reading and learning about Breitling. I went into a local AD today to find a Breitling for my husband as a birthday gift. Instead, I looked at the Galatic 32 MOP diamond dial (correct me if I'm wrong) for myself. The salesperson said there's a "matching" Galatic 41 for men so I looked at it and think that might be suitable for my husband, but I want the blue dial instead. However, it seems consensus on here is that the Galatic 41 is not very well liked. Also, I learned that they're not "in-house" watches. Does that make it less a "Breitling"?

Please advise on what I should do? I really do want a his/her watches set though.

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:10 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Curious about this as well. My first and only Breitling so far is a Galactic 36 Automatic, got it a little over a month ago at their boutique in NYC. Another piece for ladies that which piqued my interest is the TO Chronograph 38 (and likely my next). I'm also new to the forum and didn't find a lot of reviews for the Galactic series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Among people who have been fans of the brand the Galactics are often seen as a step backwards because of the polarising bezel design. The Galactic 41 is effectively just a refresh of the Cockpit - http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... r_118.html and personally I think that the Cockpit is an extremely versatile watch that stands head and shoulders above the Galactic 41, but that's just my preference - other than looks it's the same watch. Galactic 32 is a refresh of the old Cockpit Lady - http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... r_116.html so they are definitely a good match for one another, again personally I prefer the Cockpit Lady.

Ads for being less of a watch without the in house, not at all. Breitling didn't have a modern in house movement until 2009 and still doesn't have an in house non chronograph movement at least not in production). The vast majority of Breitlings have ETA movements there is nothing wrong with that.

Welcome to BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:07 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
If you really want his/her combination and want him to have inhouse (not that it really matters much) perhaps you could consider the Transocean Chronograph for him and the Transocean Chronograph 38 for yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:46 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Roffensian. That's very informative. So would I be able to get a "better" Breitling if my budget was around $5k/watch? I'm in Canada, so that might make a different.

wessa: I'm afraid the TO Chronograph 38 might be too big for my wrist.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:30 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

AusKat wrote:
Thanks Roffensian. That's very informative. So would I be able to get a "better" Breitling if my budget was around $5k/watch? I'm in Canada, so that might make a different.

wessa: I'm afraid the TO Chronograph 38 might be too big for my wrist.

US and Canadian pricing are broadly equivalent. For ladies sizes there is a limited choice anyway, and they are all equivalent quality in terms of movement, manufacture, etc so I don't think that you need to worry about trying to find 'better'. If you prefer the Cockpit Lady look to the Galactic look then you may have to look used, although worth asking an AD if they can find a new one, if you prefer the Galactic look then you can find them easily enough and should be able to negotiate a 15% discount.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks! What would you recommend for men? Maybe I'll have to ditch the matching his/her idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:23 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

AusKat wrote:
Thanks! What would you recommend for men? Maybe I'll have to ditch the matching his/her idea.

Whatever you think that he will prefer. It's a very personal choice and it comes down to his taste, lifestyle, size, etc. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:23 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 47 posts
My wife has galactic 30 rose gold / ss and I have the galactic 41 in ss. Having owned several breitlings I must say that the galactic 41 is my favorite. If your husband is more into big overstated watches the galactic 41 is probably not for him. The 41 is a great build and it comes on the pilot bracelet which is typically reserved for the higher end / classic breitlings. Good luck!

16710 Pepsi
Aerospace EVO
Navitimer 50th anniversary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Roffensian.

Brizzybrad: that's exactly why I thought the Galactic 41 is suitable for my husband. He'd want something with class but doesn't scream "hey, look at me!" What color dial is your Galactic? I saw the grey and black (sorry if I'm offending anyone by not calling by them by their proper names) but I like the blue in the catalogue better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:55 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 47 posts
I have the "Tomcat" Grey dial. The blue is awesome,
And you can't go wrong with black! I'm sure you will love
The galactic 32! My wife likes it way better than her Rolex.

Just stay away from the cream / silver and you will be fine.

It's a great watch, let me know if you have any other q's

16710 Pepsi
Aerospace EVO
Navitimer 50th anniversary