The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hey guys, just made an account on this site and I need some help with my breitling. My dad recently gave me his old watch which I have managed to identify as a 1997 breitling wings, serial number b66050. Does anyone know the approximate value of this watch? I couldn't find a consistent answer while searching around. It's in very good condition with a few minor scratches.

Well very good condition except for the fact that the bezel is missing :P This brings me to my next question. I want to get the bezel replaced and I sent the watch in for an estimate at my local watch store. The estimate they gave me is $685, I was wondering if they're trying to rip me off.

Any help is much appreciated :)

P.S. If you know the value of the watch post the value with the bezel as opposed to without xD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:16 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
:welcome:

This is a Windrider Wings Quartz. You can find out a great deal from the Souce on this model. http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... r_142.html

I am sure someone here might have an idea of value, but generally you are better off looking around, or getting your local Breitling AD to assess the watch as its tricky to value sight unseen. Some pics posted here would be a good start.

Bezel price does not surprise me, but perhaps one of the sponsors here might have a better price for a new source member. Post an ad for WTB and see how you go.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
Welcome!

Jim has given some good advice above. Would be helpful to know which country you are located in?

Best advice is usually to search eBay's completed listings to see what they are selling for in the real world. I've never replaced a bezel, but know that a new dial or a crystal are usually $300 each.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I wouldn't allow a "local watch store" to replace the bezel, it should be done through Breitling who will quote you a fair price. However, you won't get your money back on a $700 cost.

As noted, and as per the FAQs, completed eBay listings are a good guide, you can also look at dealer asking prices on Chrono24 and check the forums.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you for all of the quick replies :)

The the watch store is an AD (probably should have mentioned that). I live in the US. The thing that threw me off was that the store was trying to tell me that a comparable watch nowadays is 5k-6k. I think the watch was about 1,500 when my father bought it in the 90's so that number seemed highly improbable to me. I'm currently trying to figure out whether or not it is worth it to replace the bezel through them (it turns out the watch is also missing the riders + other stuff to hold the bezel down, this was included in the estimate). I looked on ebay for completed listings but the only one for my watch had a diamond bezel and sold for 2k at no reserve. Similar watches on ebay are priced both higher and lower than 2k, both price ranges being sans sans diamonds. I really have no clue where I should replace the bezel and whether or not I should replace it at all if the watch currently isn't worth that much. I'm hesitant to just buy a bezel online because it seems that with all of the other parts that fell off I'll need special tools to attach it.

Should I go with the $685 since I'm new at this and am not sure how to go about it?

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 40 posts
In the UK, and I assume it's the same in the US, you can 'phone Breitling for advice and send watches direct to them, so a telephone call to BUSA might help with your next step.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

My opinion. Items can have two values. Real market and sentimental value. If your watch is important to you because your dad gave it to you then you have set your value perhaps on sentiment. In that case, either spend the $685 to restore it or put it in a safe place until you can afford it. If your dad asks why you aren't wearing the piece, tell him you're saving up to have it fixed.

If there is no sentimental value then the answer I'd give is that even if it cost you $685, you may still be able to sell it and not loose money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:19 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
rebel_1 wrote:
.......then the answer I'd give is that even if it cost you $685, you may still be able to sell it and not loose money.

It's not going to be worth $685 more with the bezel addressed than in current state, there is no way you will get that money back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Agree with Fanitic. There is no issue if there sentimental value. That is your Dad's wAtch and if u r close to him then fixing it and wearing it and showing dad how awesome it looks after repair will be worth more than the cost to get it fixed. Wait.

My son and I are close and I just this weekend gave him a gold dress Raymond Weil that I bought 25 years ago on a cruise. Thin roman numerals with date. Proud to give it proud my son is proud to wear it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:58 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

The 5-6k current value that the AD is talking about is for a current model, not the one you have.

As to whether you should cough up the $685, id say it depends. Does that cost include a full overhaul? If so, that would account for $300 of the estimate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:18 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Why same post in two sections?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:19 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

RJRJRJ wrote:
The 5-6k current value that the AD is talking about is for a current model, not the one you have.

As to whether you should cough up the $685, id say it depends. Does that cost include a full overhaul? If so, that would account for $300 of the estimate.

I agree about the value of the exact watches, but when I read the comment I think the dealer meant that an equivalent model (Three Hand ETA movement with bracelet) would run $5k plus. I would say the build quality and finish, especially after a service would be well worth the expense, especially if you are not already wearing a watch. Great classic model you have there.

EDIT: Just read that it is a quartz so my $k current model estimate is a bit off but nonetheless a nice watch. Keep it and make pops proud OP.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Roffensian wrote:
rebel_1 wrote:
.......then the answer I'd give is that even if it cost you $685, you may still be able to sell it and not loose money.

It's not going to be worth $685 more with the bezel addressed than in current state, there is no way you will get that money back.

I wasn't trying to say it would be. I was assuming he was paying zero for the watch and assuming it would be worth $685 or better with the bezel.