The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
@Vintage - answers to a couple of your points -

There's a link to this thread on the main Breitling Forum as its the most widely read forum by the membership here. I could've put a link at the top of every sub-forum but assumed one in the main forum would be enough.

The thread is called "Breitlingsource Watch Project" because thats what it is - a project to make a watch that's instigated by members of the Breitlingsource forum. Not sure what else I could've called it really. Incidentally it's endorsed by Admin so in that respect it's endorsed by Breitlingsource, but absolutely nothing on this forum is endorsed by Breitling SA in any way.

Sorry, I assumed you had come across the previous two Steinhart LE's we had made here in the past, so I perhaps wrongly assumed people were familiar with the concept and process.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
Do you guys really see this happening? Do we really need 100 members to buy in? I would think the minimum order quantity is going to be the biggest stumbling block.

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:49 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
sco wrote:
Do you guys really see this happening? Do we really need 100 members to buy in? I would think the minimum order quantity is going to be the biggest stumbling block.

Driver answered that above. We could be involved in the design, etc but will not have to commit to all 100 pieces. They will readily sell then. This was my question as well, but I should have figured it out because it is not unusual to see project LEs available to the general public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
Gotcha, I wasn't sure if Driver's response was 100% and maybe he had gathered more info. Good luck to all involved!

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:26 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 8 posts
I'm interested. Would love a blacke bezel, GMT chrono......but I know that's a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Now that I've had a further look (I'm just going to list this stuff):

46crew wrote:
Would love a black bezel, GMT chrono......but I know that's a lot.

I would totally go for a GMT chrono!

I like the Tektite and Cayman 300 designs; 44mm is a good size; I'm neutral on movements although I like Tom's suggestion if there is a significant cost differential between movement grades; twin register, particularly if the GMT chrono option is seriously considered; slightly domed crystal (fully A/R'ed); multi-level dial (for registers); C3 superliminova.

This is exciting. Thanks again D8 for the hard work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I think it's a really great idea. I would be in provided its 44mm or less. (44 would be bigger than anything I own and approaching "Gangsta" IMHO). But I'd love the opportunity to have a unique piece like it would no doubt be.

Chronomat Vitesse
Navitimer
Montbrilliant Olympus
Crosswind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
vintage wrote:

Really I guess I was getting a little confused since you have the subject line as 'Breitlingsource Watch Project' and it's posted in the Breitling General Discussion Forum (not the General Watch Discussion Forum for watches other than Breitling) so one would naturally think something to do with Breitling's or Breitlingsource or something endorsed by Breitlingsource since you're a moderator. I've never really read a clear reason why Breitling won't make a limited edition for BS since they obviously make limited editions for many groups with many affiliations they may or may not endorse. Don't really see BS as being any different. Seems to me if Breitling made even a standard Colt with some acknowledgement to Breitlingsource somewhere on the watch it would sell well and that means money to Breitling so why no interest? Couldn't Andrew Michaels get something going in that regard since they seem to specialize in limited editions and are a BS sponsor?

I apologize for getting a little off track in this thread but just a little curious.

If you want an AD limited edition, you can always pick up one of these.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:50 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

First - Driver8 - thank you for all your efforts. Most do not realize the time spent for such an endeavor.

I prefer 44mm max non chonograph.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:04 pm 

Liked in: 33 posts
Edit - oops - post to wrong thread!

Last edited by sharkman on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

pending final design, i would most likely buy in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 2 posts
Thanks for all your initial effort on this new and exciting project Mr Driver.

Personally I like the first example purely based in aesthetics. I am happy with the price (about £800 - £1000) but I would rather the money went into ensuring 3000m wr than a Chronograph. I would also like it to come on a mesh bracelet. If it could have a diver's/comfort extension that would be excellent.

Domed sapphire. Sapphire bezel. No need for helium escape valve. Lots of superluminova. Black dial/orange details.

Just a few ideas.

Do we get to design the packaging (box etc) as well? How much do we have to pay up front? Can we design a one-off logo for the dial/caseback that is not BS oriented?

Please visit my Watch Blog at http://www.AndrewMichaels.co.uk

******Our new Pre-owned watch site www.amjwatches.co.uk is now live*****

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
What's the timing on this project too Driver? Just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Evening guys - apologies for the delay - I've a been a bit snowed under this last week, so not been on the forum much.

OK, full disclosure time - in light of the discussions on this interest thread, I think I need to have another conversation with the guys at Crepas. I think in my own head I had a number of around 30 to 40 people needing to express interest in the idea at this stage to make this a truly viable option.

As it stands it looks like circa 15 people expressing interest, some with varying levels of preliminary requirements - i.e. some like a chrono, some would like a GMT, etc, etc. Obviously as things develop, some people would undoubtedly drop out if design decisions went against what they were hoping for, but we may potentially pick up a couple of others along the way..... but there are no guarantees on this point and it's unlikely to be in great numbers from the current membership. If anything I'd expect prospective interest here to be greatest at this stage as nothing is set in stone..... and to be honest the interest just isn't really there in great numbers.

Additionally, a point I want to check with Crepas is our (i.e. my!) responsibility for getting these all sold. I really don't think it'd be too much of an issue as I heard that their new Cayman model sold 160 pieces in the first 48 hours after being released..... but even so, there are no guarantees.

Plus I'm not sure if it's morally "right" to get a company to produce a watch based on ideas and discussions on a forum, where only a tiny handful will actually be bought by that membership. Difficult one......

As I say I'll have a conversation with Crepas and see what they say. If they don't have a problem with any of this, and will just market any remaining pieces on their site, then great, we may as well go ahead. If not, then it may get canned. Like I say, full disclosure. I'll keep you all informed.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
I'm interested, but will obviously depend on final design and cost.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next