The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Just a bit more in terms of details, if we go with a chrono, we have the option of an ETA 2894 an ETA/Valjoux 7753 or a Dubois Deprez 2030 (an ETA 2824 with a DD chrono module), and probably any spec up to Top spec.

To keep cost down I would vote for a mid range

Tricompax or twin-register options are available.

Twin registers seem more in keeping with a vintage homage style?

In terms of bezel we can go with anodised aluminium inserts (like the SOH) or with lumed sapphire.

Love the idea of a sapphire covered bezel insert with a nicely lumed and protected bezel.

Crystal can be flat or domed.

I always vote for a slightly domed, fully A/R-ed crystal. Not chonomat domed but maybe SO and Steelfish domed.

Dial can be matt or gloss, can be made of ceramic, can be multi-leveled, etc.

A simple stark flat black and untextured dial with with a slightly raised chapter ring, and black, sunken and guilloched subdials set off by a simple metal surrounds would peak my interest. Something on the dial, if even just the chrono seconds and running seconds with some...dare I say...yellow, in keeping with the name and color of this forum?

And at least, C3 superluminova.

But, yeah, I have absolutely no specific ideas. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
sharkman wrote:
And at least, C3 superluminova.

And lots of it on hands and markers!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Bright lume is nice, high WR not important to me, if it's GMT please no "24", since it's never 2400 hours. No number for that position, simply a mark, or "00" if a number is required, would be appropriate.

I see that Crepas also makes "Tactico".

http://www.tacticowatches.com/crbst_0.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I guess I must be missing something. After you purchase one of these and someone asks you about it any you say "it's a Breitlingsource limited edition of 100" wouldn't the logical follow up be "why isn't it a Breitling?" Yeah I know, Breitling doesn't want to play but it just all seems a little strange to have another watch company produce a watch for Breitlingsource that isn't a Breitling. I guess it could be worse by putting 'Breitlingsource' on the watch somewhere. Hey, maybe we can all buy a new Colt, or something, and find a contractor to alter the dial or back with some Breitlingsource indentifier. :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:14 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
You had me until "chronograph!" :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
vintage wrote:
I guess I must be missing something. After you purchase one of these and someone asks you about it any you say "it's a Breitlingsource limited edition of 100" wouldn't the logical follow up be "why isn't it a Breitling?" Yeah I know, Breitling doesn't want to play but it just all seems a little strange to have another watch company produce a watch for Breitlingsource that isn't a Breitling. I guess it could be worse by putting 'Breitlingsource' on the watch somewhere. Hey, maybe we can all buy a new Colt, or something, and find a contractor to alter the dial or back with some Breitlingsource indentifier. :P

Errrr, well (and this is just a suggestion) I think the key is probably to just say, "We made it as a limited edition on our watch forum" if you really want to avoid the "Why isn't it a Breitling" type of question. Incidentally I don't recall anyone who owns any of the other two previous Steinhart LE's ever complaining of embarrassing explanations during conversation....... but I guess there's always a first time.

And if I really have to justify the concept :-

I personally see this place as more of a forum for watch lovers in general, with an obvious slant towards Breitling, and (in the absence of an official forum Breitling LE ever happening) I just thought it might be nice to make a bit of an effort and set something in motion for all you guys to enjoy and get involved in. Trying to get things like this off the ground aren't easy - not in the slightest - so I'm more than happy to defer to you, if you can get us all a nice shiny Breitling.

Like I said up front - if people want it, then we'll do it. If not, I'll wind my neck in, and we won't do it. Simple as that.

(I'll put you down as a "no" to this one then, Vintage!)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 pm 

Liked in: 33 posts
Yeah, it would be great if Breitling would agree to a forum LE, but it has been tried before and Breitling has NO interest. We are by no means a Breitling "fan boy" site and perhaps that is why Grenchen wants no part of an LE for us. And it seems that is one thing which distinguishes us from other Brand forums and one reason our reviews, hoorays and blunt criticism are occasionally noted with derision on Fan Boy sites.

What makes this forum my first stop on the internet is the sense of community here. And for me, that is where the interest lies in forum Projects. The first two with Steinhart were pilot watches in keeping with the Breitling heritage. Frankly, I'd much prefer a diver from a smaller company like Crepas. It's not like "Breitlingsource" will appear on the dial - boy the suits would have a field day with that! (though maybe we could have a Sub-like rehaut with "The Unofficial Breitling Source" etched in. :lol: Nah!)

So I hope this goes through. 100 seems a bit optimistic. I know the site is growing, but are they stuck on that number, Driver?

I'd also support a 3 hand or GMT if it seems interest lies in a lower priced variant.

Whether it flies or not, ideas like this are always good ones. If it doesn't work, it is simply a good idea that didn't work out.

EDIT - All of the above only applies if the date window is at 4:30. Otherwise it's a lousy idea and I'm out! :poke: Driver8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:35 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
If its all diamonds, I will buy one :)

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:33 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Kodiak wrote:
I like the Tektite and El Buzo (without GMT function) type hands and dials. Prefer standard type case/lugs like on Tektite. Matte dial with lumed sapphire would be awesome. :lol:

Ditto on the above. I'd prefer non-chrono with the fine mesh or rubber strap..

----------------------

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
sharkman wrote:
Yeah, it would be great if Breitling would agree to a forum LE, but it has been tried before and Breitling has NO interest. We are by no means a Breitling "fan boy" site and perhaps that is why Grenchen wants no part of an LE for us. And it seems that is one thing which distinguishes us from other Brand forums and one reason our reviews, hoorays and blunt criticism are occasionally noted with derision on Fan Boy sites.

What makes this forum my first stop on the internet is the sense of community here. And for me, that is where the interest lies in forum Projects. The first two with Steinhart were pilot watches in keeping with the Breitling heritage. Frankly, I'd much prefer a diver from a smaller company like Crepas. It's not like "Breitlingsource" will appear on the dial - boy the suits would have a field day with that! (though maybe we could have a Sub-like rehaut with "The Unofficial Breitling Source" etched in. :lol: Nah!)

So I hope this goes through. 100 seems a bit optimistic. I know the site is growing, but are they stuck on that number, Driver?

I'd also support a 3 hand or GMT if it seems interest lies in a lower priced variant.

Whether it flies or not, ideas like this are always good ones. If it doesn't work, it is simply a good idea that didn't work out.

EDIT - All of the above only applies if the date window is at 4:30. Otherwise it's a lousy idea and I'm out! :poke: Driver8

Thanks for the support Sharky. :thumbsup: (I'll even let you off the 4:30 date window jibe!)

Just to confirm a couple of points -

The word/name "Breitling" (or "Breitlingsource") or any Breitling logo would not appear ANYWHERE on this watch or in any of the watch's documentation. The fact that the medium for getting the watch made was a forum called Breitlingsource is entirely incidental. The forum may as well have been called Cakebaking101 for all the relevance it has to this watch project... and that name wouldn't have appeared on the watch either!

I'm afraid to say the 100 piece LE is set in stone. One of my specific questions to Crepas over the last couple of months while I was trying to get this thing off the ground, was what would be the minimum number they would be prepared to produce. And the answer was 100. While I personally would love the LE to be around the 10 or less mark (! :wink: ) I can completely understand their rationale. As I said before, these watches aren't cobbled together using off the shelf parts. Designing and then tooling a brand new case is no easy task, and the cost of doing so has to be offset somehow..... and that is in selling a reasonable volume. Given the following these guys have on dive watch forums, I'm pretty sure the remainder of the 100 would sell just fine elsewhere.

I was also hoping the price would be a little less than it is likely to be, but again, it is what it is, primarily for the same reason as stated above. And for the record I think it's quite a reasonable price considering what we'd be getting - a total unique, custom designed watch with a very high level of finishing.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
As for the 100 pieces I was assuming that they would just give the BreitlingSource forum members first crack at ordering (along with design input), and then sell the rest to their customer base. They seem to make a limited number in the low 100's on all their new model introductions. I also like their Tactico TC2 model (see link) as a vintage look, maybe they can throw on a chrono sub-dial and remake some more of those.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/introd ... 86350.html

Anyway, thanks to Driver8 for the hard work and time to pursue this project. I think these projects are fun, coming up with interesting variations and having a say in the design. The smaller 'micro brands' can offer good value and I have been looking at these companies lately (Zixen, Crepas, Limes, TWCO, etc.) since a lot of them seem to offer diver style models.

Thanks for the effort and hopefully it will lead to something further! :bow:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
Pretty sure I am in if the cost is under $2K USD. I would be totally fine with a non-chrono to keep the cost down. I'd be VERY interested in a GMT. Sapphire lumed bezel is top of the list. 44-45mm sounds great. If it is under 44mm I'd probably have to give it more thought. Under 42mm and I'd probably pass. So your 44mm target seems great to me.

Tektite and Cayman I like the looks of best so far. I really, really like the Cayman bracelet. Bonus that it has two clasps, put that on the short list. If you are not 100% married to a chrono how about taking some design ideas from the 60's Eterna Super KonTiki especially the triangle markers....or are we talking strictly Breitling flavored looks/homage? I did not get that feeling from the OP, I felt it was more retro-diver from that era.

Thanks for the effort on this D8. I am sure it is not easy and like the saying goes everyone has an opinion and an a$$... I am sure you will get sick of everyone having one.

I'll put the first deposit down if I can have #13 :D No interest in Wessa's #8 you are good by me, man :wink:

EDIT: Forgot to add Display Back!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I'm interested Driver. I like the sound of the company, and while some of the designs I find ho-hum, there are some that I like, so it would depend (naturally) on selection.

I'm open to a GMT if that's where this heads, otherwise a chrono is fine too. Let me spend some more time solidifying my thoughts.

Thanks for putting this together; I really like these projects!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Driver8 wrote:
The word/name "Breitling" (or "Breitlingsource") or any Breitling logo would not appear ANYWHERE on this watch or in any of the watch's documentation. The fact that the medium for getting the watch made was a forum called Breitlingsource is entirely incidental. The forum may as well have been called Cakebaking101 for all the relevance it has to this watch project... and that name wouldn't have appeared on the watch either!

Really I guess I was getting a little confused since you have the subject line as 'Breitlingsource Watch Project' and it's posted in the Breitling General Discussion Forum (not the General Watch Discussion Forum for watches other than Breitling) so one would naturally think something to do with Breitling's or Breitlingsource or something endorsed by Breitlingsource since you're a moderator. I've never really read a clear reason why Breitling won't make a limited edition for BS since they obviously make limited editions for many groups with many affiliations they may or may not endorse. Don't really see BS as being any different. Seems to me if Breitling made even a standard Colt with some acknowledgement to Breitlingsource somewhere on the watch it would sell well and that means money to Breitling so why no interest? Couldn't Andrew Michaels get something going in that regard since they seem to specialize in limited editions and are a BS sponsor?

I apologize for getting a little off track in this thread but just a little curious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
A lot of work has been done in the past to try and get Breitling engaged through a number of different channels. Open discussion followed by inevitable editorial criticism from some members is not going to help get a Breitling sponsored piece in the future. I think that it's a fairly safe bet to assume that people involved with the site are aware of AD histories with LEs and are aware of the process for requesting an LE.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next