The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Whether it's any good depends on the make - Scatola del Tempo have similar cycles to that and they are about the best that you can buy.

You would still need to know how many tpd to know whether it was suitable for the watch but a minutes on / minutes off cycle is not an inherent problem - in fact it's a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:18 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Great post! Thanks for taking the time to put that together for everyone. I've got a watch winder I've been using for a Seiko and a Invicta but with my 2 new Lings coming one is getting out of there! It can wind 3 with room for storing 5 on the bottom. I've had it about 3 years now off the 'Bay' and it has worked very well.

Thanks also for that link, it answered my questions about the settings I need for my Lings. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:52 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Great post. One quick question is it ok to use a 900 tpd winder to wind Montbrilliant Olympus which says it take 650tpd. Just saw winder for 150 on Wolf Designs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

meetonline wrote:
Great post. One quick question is it ok to use a 900 tpd winder to wind Montbrilliant Olympus which says it take 650tpd. Just saw winder for 150 on Wolf Designs.

Yes, but what would be better is to put the winder on a timer so that it's not on for the full 24 hours, that will allow more time for the spring to wind down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Been lurking on this board for a while and I have sent this thread to several friends who ask me about winders. Great info and the orbita link for the turns and directions I have copied and posted on other watch forums to help others. Please keep putting up this kind of info, it helps more then you can imagine!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Great info Roff! Thanks for taking time to put that together !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:57 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roff, I may have missed this somewhere, but if the watch is fully wound before placing it on the winder, should I use the 12 hour delay that my winder has which will allow it to unwind for 12 hours before starting its rotation cycle, or is it ok to place it on the winder fully wound and allow it to run through its cycle of rotations? Mine is only capable of 600TPD, 4 cycles of 150 with a 18hr sleep cycle. My watch requires 800tpd, but unfortunately my winder isn't capable of that.

I just got this watch winder today so I am trying to learn a little more about this. I read online that the 12 hour delay is meant for a watch that is "fully wound". If my SOH was just sitting on a shelf for a week it was manually wound yesterday morning, and then I wore it yesterday and today, would placing the watch on a winder IMMEDIATELY after use be considered "fully wound" or is it only considered "fully wound" immediately after you wind the crown? Hopefully my questions make sense, and thanks in advance for the response!

Also, based on your math example, at since it only turns 600TPD and my SOH requires 800 (resulting in a loss of roughly 6 hrs of power reserve per day), would taking it off and wearing it before the 7 days be enough it wind the spring back up, or would I have to manually wind the crown another 40 times before putting it back on the winder when I don't plan on wearing it for a few days?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:13 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

It sounds like your winder does four cycles of 150 turns each over the first 6 hours of it being on the winder and then nothing for 18 hours - a rather bizarre set up. The idea of the 12 hour delay is that turns early in the cycle are 'wasted' on a fully wound watch so the winder let's it run down first. Using math for your two choices (with or without the delay) gives:

No delay - watch is fully wound after 6 hours and then runs down 18 hours leaving 24 hours of reserve. It then loses 6 hours more per day and is done after 5 days.

With delay - watch is fully wound (just) after 18 hours - 12 hours of delay plus 6 hours of winding for 600 turns (the equivalent of 18 hours), but after that everything is the same - it's 18 hours down after 36 hours and then loses 6 hours more per 24 hour period so is done after 5 1/2 days - 1/2 a day better.

In terms of winding it when you put it back on, that depends. If you are very active with it on then putting it on after (say) 4 days may be sufficient to fully wind it, but in most cases you will simply add a little over 24 hours of reserve in a 'normal' day.

It sounds as though your winder does all of the winding in the first 6 hours of each 24 hour cycle after being powered on so to get the most out of it I would try to put it on to a timer that can give it two cycles per 24 hour period, each long enough for the winder to do three of its four 150 turn cycles. That way you can get 900 turns out of it with two roughly 7 to 8 hour rest periods in between.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:31 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
It sounds like your winder does four cycles of 150 turns each over the first 6 hours of it being on the winder and then nothing for 18 hours - a rather bizarre set up. The idea of the 12 hour delay is that turns early in the cycle are 'wasted' on a fully wound watch so the winder let's it run down first. Using math for your two choices (with or without the delay) gives:

No delay - watch is fully wound after 6 hours and then runs down 18 hours leaving 24 hours of reserve. It then loses 6 hours more per day and is done after 5 days.

With delay - watch is fully wound (just) after 18 hours - 12 hours of delay plus 6 hours of winding for 600 turns (the equivalent of 18 hours), but after that everything is the same - it's 18 hours down after 36 hours and then loses 6 hours more per 24 hour period so is done after 5 1/2 days - 1/2 a day better.

In terms of winding it when you put it back on, that depends. If you are very active with it on then putting it on after (say) 4 days may be sufficient to fully wind it, but in most cases you will simply add a little over 24 hours of reserve in a 'normal' day.

It sounds as though your winder does all of the winding in the first 6 hours of each 24 hour cycle after being powered on so to get the most out of it I would try to put it on to a timer that can give it two cycles per 24 hour period, each long enough for the winder to do three of its four 150 turn cycles. That way you can get 900 turns out of it with two roughly 7 to 8 hour rest periods in between.

Thanks for the response!! Its a Wolf watch winder, their 2.0 Module. I wish it had the ability to program the exact amount of rotations you want like some of the other wolf models, but it will do for now :) Maybe I will buy a programable one and place this one for sale locally :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I was thinking of an external power timer that can effectively turn the winder on and off twice in a 24 hour period and reset the cycle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:18 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
I was thinking of an external power timer that can effectively turn the winder on and off twice in a 24 hour period and reset the cycle.

That's a really good idea! I forgot about those, that could definitely work! I will have to pick one up from my local store and play with it to set it correctly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I had concerns about magnetism.

Decided to take the bite and go for a winder. I am not a huge fan of the winder, but if something can (at least partly) mimic a person wearing it in the daytime, and resting in the night, I thought that will work for me.

I have the Wolf designs winder in mind: http://www.wolfdesigns.com/item/456002/ ... ers-cover/
This has a 6 hour "wind" and an 18 hour rest cycle. Not exactly close, but the closest to my daily cycle.

FAQs: http://www.wolfdesigns.com/faq/#2.7

Answers to specific FAQ regarding magnetism:

[quoting from above thread]
I've heard watches can get magnetized on a watch winder. Is that true?
Magnetic interference can make some watches run fast, requiring a demagnetizer to correct them. Strong magnetic sources like stereo speakers pose the greatest risk, but laptops and other consumer electronics can also be detrimental to a watch's accuracy with prolonged exposure.
We've measured the maximum magnetic flux density inside of our Module 2.7 winders to be about 4 gausses at the bottom of the drum, the point nearest to the motor. There was no measurable magnetic flux at any position 10mm away from that maximum point.
Opinions vary on the minimum level of magnetic flux density needed to affect watch operation, but informal consensus online suggests the range is 60-70 gausses—over 16 times that of the maximum found in WOLF modules; so we're reasonably certain the that risk of watch magnetization by watch winders is negligible.

I'm concerned that the winder will magnetize my watch. Should I be concerned with a WOLF winder?
No. The motor has a shild that eliminates any magnetization.
[/end quote]

Now, would the experts here be satisfied with the answers in general and the numbers above?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

A Wolf winder will not magnetise your watch. With basic motor shielding and a distance from the magnetic field there will be no issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
This thread has been very helpful, ive wondered about the Pros' - Cons with these winders - thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:52 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I am so full of questions:

Is it a good idea, bad idea, or doesn't matter if: I position the watch winder differently everyday? Upright, sideways, upside down?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next