Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chronomatic 49
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:00 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
A tribute to a pioneer, a tribute to an era: in launching the Chrono-Matic 49, Breitling revives one of the most famous models in its history – and indeed of watchmaking history as a whole – in a entirely new way.

Flashback to 1969, when Breitling creates the first selfwinding chronograph movement. This major invention was to enable the development of a whole range of chronographs named Chrono-Matic, forerunners of the current vogue for extremely large-sized watches, and featuring an original and distinctive appearance.

Fast forward to 2008: the new 49 mm-diameter Chrono-Matic is inspired by the generous volumes of the original model and by its modern design with unmistakable Sixties and Seventies accents including taut, angular lines and geometrical rectilinear hands with a square base or arrow tip.
The red-rimmed totalizers lend a technical touch, while the dial reflects the traditional configuration of the totalizers at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.
The signature reproduces the Breitling symbol used from the 1950s to the 1970s, with the brand name capped by an applied gold capital B.

In keeping with its consistently innovative momentum, Breitling has also revised several details in a decidedly contemporary spirit. The rotating pinion bezel driving the slide rule takes the form of a black rubber-molded steel construction. The new woven steel bracelet, designed specifically for this model, makes an unusual contrast with the pure lines of the case.

In addition to the steel version, the Chrono-Matic 49 also comes in a red gold limited edition of 500. It is available with various dial colors, including magnificent motifs against black or bronze backgrounds created using the "épargne" method.

The Chrono-Matic 49 is powered by Caliber 14, a reliable and high-performance movement that is chronometer-certified, as indeed are all Breitling movements. A classic entirely in sync with its times – on land, at sea and in the air.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:24 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Nice! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:33 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

NICE. The new steel band takes a lil to get used too though.

Breitling for Bentley GMT Midnight Carbon Black Steel LE 1000
Hublot Big Bang Aero Bang Steel
"You gotta pay to play..."
:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Saw one in the flesh today......... and while I wanted to love it..... it just didn't - http://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=3542

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Man you guys are harsh. I put on the silver dial on black leather and bought it on the spot. To me it is a nice change form the "Avenger profile". I expect to recieve it in a couple weeks. I will take a few photos and post them. One of the reasons it works for me is I can wear a large watch. I have large wrists and hands. The problem I have with the Avenger profile is it is so thick. I like the size, don't get me wrong but "for me" the size combined with girth of a SA is a little overwheling. I have to tell you looking at the Breitling web site it is the last watch I would have picked up. But in person it is a fine looking piece. IMHO

A few others too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
mah wrote:
Man you guys are harsh. I put on the silver dial on black leather and bought it on the spot. To me it is a nice change form the "Avenger profile". I expect to recieve it in a couple weeks. I will take a few photos and post them. One of the reasons it works for me is I can wear a large watch. I have large wrists and hands. The problem I have with the Avenger profile is it is so thick. I like the size, don't get me wrong but "for me" the size combined with girth of a SA is a little overwheling. I have to tell you looking at the Breitling web site it is the last watch I would have picked up. But in person it is a fine looking piece. IMHO

Yeah but I'm a traditionalist - the crown's on the wrong side :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
To be fair, that post of mine was an "initial impressions" thing. Over time it's grown on me a little more, although the bronze (which I saw initially) still doesn't do a thing for me. The white/silver dial is much nicer and the black is pretty decent too.

Opinions do change over time - you just need to see the HUGE amount of hatred there was for the baton markers on the SA when it came out : now it's fully accepted by most.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

One thing I know for sure is everyone has watches that fit their style. I haven't been collecting Breitlings for as long as you guys, only a couple years, so the 49 looks normal to me. I didn't realize they made one with the crown on the other side. Untill I started to look into the watch. I have never seen one. Not sure I like the old style only 2 subdials. My first watch shop didn't handle Breitling so most of my knowledge still mimnimal is with other brands, Oris, Omega, UN, Dubey, but once I got the Breitling bug I haven't looked back. I have the same amount or lack of expreience with the Bently collection. Have no idea...... I guess this is one of the reasons I really like interacting with you guys I always learn something about my passion,,,,Watches. Have a great day!

A few others too.