The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:22 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Here are a couple real life pics of new Chrono Superoceans, a SO 44, and the Transocean.

http://breitlingreport.com/2011/03/24/basel-breitlings/

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:45 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
Here are a couple real life pics of new Chrono Superoceans, a SO 44, and the Transocean.

http://breitlingreport.com/2011/03/24/basel-breitlings/

The black chrono looks pretty nice. I like the brushed finish.

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:47 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
What about the new superocean heritage. It seems like the perfect size now.

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 8 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Hmmmmm, if this is it from Breitling at Baselworld 2011, then I have to say it's another year of disappointment, although there are a couple of highlights as far as I'm concerned.

The Good

1. For me the absolute standout by a million miles is the Chronomatic GMT B04. That is one watch that (subject to trying it on) I'd happily buy.

2. I also think the Flying Fish is a very handsome looking piece - kind of like an even more understated Chronomat 01 LE. (Bit of a dopey name though, although not quite as daft as the perpetually hilarious "Galactic"! *snigger, snigger*).

3. I also like the new "standard" Navitimer with the black date wheel and the gold wings. For those reasons alone I actually much prefer it to the Navtimer 01 LE. The only thing that let's it down IMO is the size as, while 43mm should be OK for me, the fine Navi construction makes it wear even smaller. I also want to see a white dial version as they tend to wear slightly larger.

4. The Navi 1461 is beautiful and a great size at 46mm, but the same old same old B19 movement turns me off the no doubt exorbitant price.

The Bad

1. The Chronomat 41 - simply, what's the point? The standard 43.5mm is perfectly wearable to practically anyone.

2. I can't imagine for one second that the 'Galactic Chronograph II' is the new BB. I think the new BB (when it arrives) will be based on the Chronomat B01 just as all the previous models have been based on the current Chronomat.

3. The SOH Heritage - At 42mm I'm sure it will appeal to some as there was always a large size jump between the 38 and 46mm versions, but again, I can't help thinking what's the point of it? Are we going to see all models in numerous sizes by 2mm increments?

The Worse!

1. The Transocean non-chrono is the exact opposite of the Transocean chrono IMO - one is interesting, functional and handsome looking, and uses an in-house movement : the other is dull-looking beyond words and doesn't use an in-house movement.

The Ugly

1. The "new" Monty Legende is just an ugly version of good watch.

2. The new SO's (all of them) are spoiled IMO by the rubber bezel, no bezel lume, and clumsy looking markers. I'm dreading that they'll eventually ruin the Seawolf in the same way.

The Worse AND Ugly!

1. And then we have the ubiquitous DLC coated yawn-yawn stuff, and of course the red rubber equiped abortions that single handedly plunge Breitling into the Invicta-like realms IMO.

Again, I was hoping for so much more -

- I was hoping the (inevitable) non-chrono in-house was ready to be released.
- I was hoping that the handsome Navi World / Navi 1461 case was going to be filled with a B04 (or B01) movement.
- I was hoping the rubber bezels (both black and coloured) were going to be consigned to the bin.
- I was hoping all those non-professional divers watches (i.e. those with no pearl or bezel lume) were going to be scrapped.
- I was hoping the DLC paint-pot would've run dry by now.
- I was hoping for a new BB.
- I was hoping for a retro styled, PROPER (i.e. left hand crown) Chronomatic running a B01.
- I was hoping for Panerai-like innovation in terms of materials - maybe a ceramic bezel or case perhaps?
- I was hoping the brand would have a coherant range in terms of styling cues. At the moment it all seems desperately random - like none of the design teams for each watch ever talk to one-another, or have ever opened a Breitling history book.

Never mind - maybe next year, eh?

(But I really LOVE the Chronomat GMT B04! :thumbsup:)

I pretty much agree with everything here. :yeahthat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:12 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Quote:
SOII GMT is really horrible in my opinion. It looks like they had some extra cases and movements from the failed Colt GMT+

It appears exactly what they did!! This is the second year in a row I have been quite disappointed with offerings by Breitling. What some of us hoped was an experiment gone wrong (Buck Rogers and Trojans) is taking over the line.

My reaction is niether negativity or judgmentalism, it is an honest disconnect between what I considered appealing about the brand and what it is evident is has become. There isn't much room for speculation over the direction Breitling is taking. And to think the replacement for the Steelfish - 44mm SoII - will likely be priced at or above $4,000. Oy vey.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
sharkman wrote:
And to think the replacement for the Steelfish - 44mm SoII - will likely be priced at or above $4,000. Oy vey.

I really hope that its not the fish replacement. I just cant see my self ever warming to it never mind owning one. I don't think it could ever or will ever have the following of the original steelfish?

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:35 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Having visited the show yesterday, I obviously didn't have the chance to post anything until now. So, I won't repeat what has already been said because I mostly agree with all comments posted until now on this topic.

I can only post some pics of some of the models seen on the Breitling stand.

Astonishingly, there was no Transocean exposed but the discontinued Emergency was. Somebody must explain this to me.

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
F14D_Tomcat wrote:
Having visited the show yesterday, I obviously didn't have the chance to post anything until now. So, I won't repeat what has already been said because I mostly agree with all comments posted until now on this topic.

Astonishingly, there was no Transocean exposed but the discontinued Emergency was. Somebody must explain this to me.

Thanks for the pics, those are some great shots of some really ugly watches. I really like the Chronomat GMT, just a great looking watch, I may have to give the 47mm a shot but I have a feeling that it's still gonna be too big.

As for the rest...well the Chronomatic, the red bezel Skyracer and the Seawolf Chrono with the orange are just ridiculous, along witht the colored B4B's that I don't remember the name of. The numerals on the dial of the SOII 44 just don't look right. They look cheap and like they don't fit well. I don't understand why they would put less stuff on a bigger dial than the regular SOII. I think the SOII 44 could have been a great watch, I really liked the look of the SOII when it first came out but felt that it was too small, but the SOII 44 just looks like a cheap wal-mart watch to me, not something I'd drop $3-$4k on.

The SO GMT still pisses me off, it looks like they just got lazy, took some random parts from various Colt models and threw a rubber bezel on it. For some unknown reason I really like GMT watches and I was hoping that Breitling would give me a reason to get one, at least I'll be able to save up for my Explorer II without wanted another Breitling, which is a shame because Breitling is the brand that got me interested in high end watches, but the changes that they've made in the past year really baffle me. Are they trying to compete with higher end watch makers with their in-house models or are they trying to be a fashion brand? Make up your mind or just do what you've been doing for the past 50 or so years and keep making nice watches and instruments for professionals.

Sorry for the little rant :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
roman4405 wrote:
F14D_Tomcat wrote:

Sorry for the little rant :oops:

At least you feel better know :)

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:30 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
It's weird but think about it like this, this year we have done better than last year. Last year we just hand the b01 which is ok to start. This year the navi 01 the transocean 01 monty 01. Now the chronomat gmt 04. Albeit only 2 movements but now 5 in house models. Rather than some of the other junk I wish they had done a cosmonaute 02 and a navi 1461 in house that would have been 2 on my list. It def cements that fact I'll be on the look out for a bb soon now they have been binned. The rest Of the new stuff I can leave well alone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 9 posts
I'm still prefer the current, and older models/variations.

Nick.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:50 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
alex** wrote:
It's weird but think about it like this, this year we have done better than last year. Last year we just hand the b01 which is ok to start. This year the navi 01 the transocean 01 monty 01. Now the chronomat gmt 04. Albeit only 2 movements but now 5 in house models. Rather than some of the other junk I wish they had done a cosmonaute 02 and a navi 1461 in house that would have been 2 on my list. It def cements that fact I'll be on the look out for a bb soon now they have been binned. The rest Of the new stuff I can leave well alone

Coffee Alex, but Coffee on it's own.

Luv you

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
alex** wrote:

That is true and it surprises me that they released them mid-year. Imagine if they had waited until Basel to release the Navi 01 and the Transocean along with the Chronomat GMT. That would have been an impressive line-up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:30 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Looks like Breitlings product strategy is to sell fashion accessories rather than "instrument for professionals". What a joke most of these garish, tasteless, train wrecks of watches they have brought out. Most of them fell out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Several exceptions, the Transocean 01, Navi 01, and Monti 01. For those who say the TO doesn't look like a Breitling should, ironically they look like Breitlings did when Breitlings bore the bosses name. More of a true Breitling IMHO than much of the other revolting c**p. Still, there's no accounting for taste I suppose. Shoot me down but I love the the Heritage and TO range - understated and classy. Looking forward to my TO 01 LE arriving.

Last edited by ike on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:31 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
I guess I'm in the minority but i really like the 3 handed TransOcean. Its a pity its not an in house movement but perhaps when they produce one it will have it. As far as its aesthetics, its very similar to the 60's 3 handed one. I think its a real shame they didn't use the old script for the "TransOcean" insignia on the dial tho. The new script lacks class.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next