The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
can anyone post pics? That website always freezes my work computer.

Here you go Justin, all of the ones that we didn't already know about except the Galactic Auto 36 which is messed up on the site right now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hmmmmm, if this is it from Breitling at Baselworld 2011, then I have to say it's another year of disappointment, although there are a couple of highlights as far as I'm concerned.

The Good

1. For me the absolute standout by a million miles is the Chronomatic GMT B04. That is one watch that (subject to trying it on) I'd happily buy.

2. I also think the Flying Fish is a very handsome looking piece - kind of like an even more understated Chronomat 01 LE. (Bit of a dopey name though, although not quite as daft as the perpetually hilarious "Galactic"! *snigger, snigger*).

3. I also like the new "standard" Navitimer with the black date wheel and the gold wings. For those reasons alone I actually much prefer it to the Navtimer 01 LE. The only thing that let's it down IMO is the size as, while 43mm should be OK for me, the fine Navi construction makes it wear even smaller. I also want to see a white dial version as they tend to wear slightly larger.

4. The Navi 1461 is beautiful and a great size at 46mm, but the same old same old B19 movement turns me off the no doubt exorbitant price.

The Bad

1. The Chronomat 41 - simply, what's the point? The standard 43.5mm is perfectly wearable to practically anyone.

2. I can't imagine for one second that the 'Galactic Chronograph II' is the new BB. I think the new BB (when it arrives) will be based on the Chronomat B01 just as all the previous models have been based on the current Chronomat.

3. The SOH Heritage - At 42mm I'm sure it will appeal to some as there was always a large size jump between the 38 and 46mm versions, but again, I can't help thinking what's the point of it? Are we going to see all models in numerous sizes by 2mm increments?

The Worse!

1. The Transocean non-chrono is the exact opposite of the Transocean chrono IMO - one is interesting, functional and handsome looking, and uses an in-house movement : the other is dull-looking beyond words and doesn't use an in-house movement.

The Ugly

1. The "new" Monty Legende is just an ugly version of good watch.

2. The new SO's (all of them) are spoiled IMO by the rubber bezel, no bezel lume, and clumsy looking markers. I'm dreading that they'll eventually ruin the Seawolf in the same way.

The Worse AND Ugly!

1. And then we have the ubiquitous DLC coated yawn-yawn stuff, and of course the red rubber equiped abortions that single handedly plunge Breitling into the Invicta-like realms IMO.

Again, I was hoping for so much more -

- I was hoping the (inevitable) non-chrono in-house was ready to be released.
- I was hoping that the handsome Navi World / Navi 1461 case was going to be filled with a B04 (or B01) movement.
- I was hoping the rubber bezels (both black and coloured) were going to be consigned to the bin.
- I was hoping all those non-professional divers watches (i.e. those with no pearl or bezel lume) were going to be scrapped.
- I was hoping the DLC paint-pot would've run dry by now.
- I was hoping for a new BB.
- I was hoping for a retro styled, PROPER (i.e. left hand crown) Chronomatic running a B01.
- I was hoping for Panerai-like innovation in terms of materials - maybe a ceramic bezel or case perhaps?
- I was hoping the brand would have a coherant range in terms of styling cues. At the moment it all seems desperately random - like none of the design teams for each watch ever talk to one-another, or have ever opened a Breitling history book.

Never mind - maybe next year, eh?

(But I really LOVE the Chronomat GMT B04! :thumbsup:)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:41 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
Driver8 wrote:
2. I can't imagine for one second that the 'Galactic Chronograph II' is the new BB. I think the new BB (when it arrives) will be based on the Chronomat B01 just as all the previous models have been based on the current Chronomat.

I think I typed that in a fit of range and dissapointment, you're right, a new BB with-out the B01 movement wouldn't make much sense, but I think that the Galactic Chrono gives us a peek at what kind of bezel we can expect.

As for the flying Fish, I thought the name was ridiculous until I read that they named it after some free diver who dove to like 700 or something feet and his nickname was the Flying Fish. Still a dumb name for a watch though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:46 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Thanks Andy, although by the looks of it, I could have waited until I got home. There is nothing there that I'd need to call George to order. That transocean is awful and I don't get putting the compass bezel on the current Chronomat. Do they just have a bunch of dials sitting around that they need to use? I can't believe they got rid of the Steelfish for the SO II 44.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:58 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
dhalem wrote:
Also the 46mm Navitimer 1461 is new.

yeah this piece looks awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
I really like the options of the different sizes. I really like the chronomat GMT but at 47mm its out for me, no question. Any thing between 40mm -44mm worksfor me and I think they have really opened the market to more people by doing so. One of the major factors for me staying away from the SOII was the size both in the way it wared and looked.
So I would say the Breitling has opened up the market a bit by offering the size options.
And ever more so with the 41, 44 nd 47 Chronomat,give the choice I would probably go for the 41. So put it this way the SA is a monster and I really respect it BUT only if you can carry it off, I for one could never ware one as it would look ridiculous on my wrist. I think fare play to Breitling for this Size option idea.
But I do not see any non chrono I would go for. My next pick up is a In-house non-chrono and I was really hoping for something from Breitling in 2011. Pity as I would have one as soon as they were in the shops... Roely Sub here I come me thinks..and Lets hope that the SOII 44 is NOT the new SF... :roll:

:lingsrock:

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Flying Fish number one for me at the moment BTW..

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:04 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
It appears that they have discontinued the Motors Speed line.

It is no longer avaiable on the website.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I guess the new standard Navi is going to be priced about $700 less than the limited edition with the display back. If I had the choice, I'd still go with the limited edition since they are still around. I know Govberg still has both the limited edition Navi and Chronomat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
There is nothing there that I'd need to call George to order.

I was thinking the same thing, thank goodness for me :wink: , poor George :( . :lol: I don't really need any more watches right now.

That being said, they did seem to mix up the sizes a little. The pieces going to 44mm may still be a little large for me, but a 41mm Chronomat could spark interest down the road. I think the all black 'flying fish' looks nice and the 42mm SO heritage (silver dial, black bezel) might be nice.

What might really get my money is a Navitimer 01, a silver dial and subs with arabics, if they offer it. I thought the website hinted that a dial with numerals was to be available (?).

Otherwise, there's always Omega - saw a new speedmaster announced :wink: .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:49 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Christ, I really like the Monty!!

Cheers

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:18 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Kodiak wrote:
jnelson3097 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, thank goodness for me :wink: , poor George :( .

Don't worry, Govberg is an Omega AD so he's got you covered.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Surprised (amongst other emotions) to see a display back on the TO Chrono. What the hell did I pay a premium for with the LE?? :evil: (assuming that the retail price is lower than the LE's)

And if you're keeping the display back on the TO, why not keep it on the Navi 01? :huh

The Montbrillant 47 is an LE. Can we call it a Legende replacement if it's only an LE?

I like the Navi 1461, but I'm guessing I won't like the price. Otherwise, I'm really not impressed at all. Buck Rogers is here to stay, more color gimmicks, more DLC, more LE gimmicks with dial variations, and now the addition of 2mm case size variation gimmicks. Really not impressive at all.

And what is maddening is that they STILL refer to these pieces as "instruments for professionals" in the materials. Seriously, how the f*&@ can you properly time a steak on the grill with that goddamn useless Buck Rogers bezel?!?

Breitling Transocean Chronograph LE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:27 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
She is hardly a timepiece afficionado but I like to get her thoughts nonetheless.

Nonplussed on the entire lineup, and she had this to say about the Superocean Heritage:

"Why are they trying to look like Rol_x?

She also thought the 'wheel' subdial on the Bentleys looked childish, like something you'd see on a toy watch made for a four year old.

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

jnelson3097 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
jnelson3097 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, thank goodness for me :wink: , poor George :( .

Don't worry, Govberg is an Omega AD so he's got you covered.

Who isn't an Omega AD. They're everywhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next