The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:06 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have heard conflicting information and wanted to ask this forum to get clear information. When you see an Evolution with gold trim on the bezel and the buttons are gold, is that gold plated? Or are the pieces solid? Please see this itemfor sale on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Breitling-Evolution ... 45f776b8c2

I had heard that if the bezel is gold, then all the pieces are gold. But it only the trim is gold on the bezel, then the buttons are gold plated. Please clarify.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

From what I understand it is Rolled or Gold Filled and not gold plated. I'm sure one of the Pros will chime in, but I don't believe it's solid gold.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:05 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
From Ye Olde FAQ right here on BS:

On Two-Tone Breitlings, are the Crown, Pushers and Rider Tabs solid gold?
No, only the Rider Tabs are solid 18kt gold. The Pushers and Crown are gold plated. Gold Bezel models have a solid 18kt gold bezel.

Are two-tone bracelet gold links solid gold?

No, they are rolled gold. A layer of gold is rolled around a core of solid stainless steel. This can be polished without fear of the finish wearing off as it is quite thick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:19 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
In recent years the pushers and crown have been coated with thicker layers of gold, but they are still not solid to the extent that the core is steel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

JacksonStone wrote:
From Ye Olde FAQ right here on BS:

On Two-Tone Breitlings, are the Crown, Pushers and Rider Tabs solid gold?
No, only the Rider Tabs are solid 18kt gold. The Pushers and Crown are gold plated. Gold Bezel models have a solid 18kt gold bezel.

Are two-tone bracelet gold links solid gold?

No, they are rolled gold. A layer of gold is rolled around a core of solid stainless steel. This can be polished without fear of the finish wearing off as it is quite thick.

Thanks Jackson...I knew I had remembered reading that they were rolled gold.....didn't know about the gold bezel being solid...thanks for the info sir.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:58 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks to all for this information.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

and, for what its worth, the applied Breitling logo on the dial (on the models that have an applied logo) is white gold

Bell & Ross BR03-92 Phantom
Steinhart BreitlingSource LE #5/15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:58 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
BroncoSport wrote:
and, for what its worth, the applied Breitling logo on the dial (on the models that have an applied logo) is white gold

That's why I keep buying Lings! Using those appplied logos as an investment hedge. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:46 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
There are multiple pushers shown on the repair quotes I have seen from Breitling on the Two Tone models...

One of them shows as "Pusher 18K Gold 2N" the other shows "Pusher Goldplated 20u 2N" it's 1/10th the price.

I am not sure why there is a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:34 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

txturbo wrote:
There are multiple pushers shown on the repair quotes I have seen from Breitling on the Two Tone models...

One of them shows as "Pusher 18K Gold 2N" the other shows "Pusher Goldplated 20u 2N" it's 1/10th the price.

I can explain that one.........

Breitling always used to have crowns and pushers in true rolled gold - the 20 micron laminated sheet that we are used to seeing on bracelets and have been discussed here ad nauseum. In the last few years they have changed that and now use what Breitling call solid gold pushers (and crowns I believe).

However, that is (in my opinion) misleading because they are categorically not solid gold. They now use a much thicker gold 'cap', but for function and longevity the core is still steel. This is a good move as the 20 micron coatings were wearing through over time on high wear pieces like pushers and crowns, but it's not the same as solid gold.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:23 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
Roffensian wrote:
txturbo wrote:

Breitling always used to have crowns and pushers in true rolled gold - the 20 micron laminated sheet that we are used to seeing on bracelets and have been discussed here ad nauseum. In the last few years they have changed that and now use what Breitling call solid gold pushers (and crowns I believe).

However, that is (in my opinion) misleading because they are categorically not solid gold. They now use a much thicker gold 'cap', but for function and longevity the core is still steel. This is a good move as the 20 micron coatings were wearing through over time on high wear pieces like pushers and crowns, but it's not the same as solid gold.

I took a look at my notes from the repairs. The cheaper one was from a Chronomat B13047 Blue Angels.

The more expensive one was from a Duograph, it's darn near ten times the price of the chronomat pusher. It is smaller so maybe it's not practical to roll plate it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

txturbo wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
txturbo wrote:

I took a look at my notes from the repairs. The cheaper one was from a Chronomat B13047 Blue Angels.

The more expensive one was from a Duograph, it's darn near ten times the price of the chronomat pusher. It is smaller so maybe it's not practical to roll plate it?

I think it's just that the switch over from rolled to caps is being phased in so some models are done earlier - Duographs always used to have rolled.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:43 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 47 posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but please tell me if my b13050.5 has rolled or plated pushers? Also are the bezel screws solid gold?

Thanks

16710 Pepsi
Aerospace EVO
Navitimer 50th anniversary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Guess the pushers and crown were recently replaced during servicing they are rolled gold (see discussion above). Screws have always been gold I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:27 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 47 posts
Roff,

The watch is all original, never been serviced. So I guess that means they are plated.
Before everyone jumps on me for not having the watch serviced, It just got back from a master watchmaker certified on Breitling who inspected the watch and said it is in excellent condition running at -1 sec/day. He advised against an overhaul suggesting I wait a few years. This watch sat mostly unworn since 1997. I guess I got a good one.

16710 Pepsi
Aerospace EVO
Navitimer 50th anniversary