Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chronograph reset
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Guys when i reset my sa chronograph to zero ,the second hand stops in between the zero and 1 second mark, very slightly out.
Is there a way to reset it? on some quartz chrono's you can pull out the crown and reset and adjust indivdual hands. Does anyone know if there is a similar method for an automatic ?

Post subject: Re: Chronograph reset
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sounds like you'll have to send it back to Breitling for a tune-up to get he hands re-aligned. :?

Don't think there is an "easy" way to get this done with a mechanical watch.

Are you under warrenty?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Unfortunately not, Dec 2007 so 3 and a half months out :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Wellllll, if it doesn't bother you that much I might wait until your first big service to get it fixed. I don't think this is indicative of a movement in need of a repair and I don't think it's doing any harm. (if this is not true someone here will surely correct me)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:17 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
As long as it is always resetting to the same place then it's no big deal. If your AD has a watchmaker then they will likelybe able to reset the hand, but otherwise, as Ian says if you can live with it until servicing that may be the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I'm having the same problem with a Skyracer I recently purchased from from private, online seller. Second hand resets to 59 and minute hand to 1. If I pull the crown out fully and go through, start, stop, reset, it aligns correctly. Could this have the potential for damage? Out of caution I'm just not using the chrono. I reset or recalibrated it just the one time and it kinda freaked me out doing it. Otherwise it runs within COSC and the chrono does in fact work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:49 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
sharkman wrote:
I'm having the same problem with a Skyracer I recently purchased from from private, online seller. Second hand resets to 59 and minute hand to 1. If I pull the crown out fully and go through, start, stop, reset, it aligns correctly. Could this have the potential for damage? Out of caution I'm just not using the chrono. I reset or recalibrated it just the one time and it kinda freaked me out doing it. Otherwise it runs within COSC and the chrono does in fact work.

Sounds like the same situation as maffster - it's still resetting to more or less the same place. The issue is more if it resets to different positions consistently which could well be evidence of 'loose bits' in the movement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Some odd times you can get that the chrono hand(s) aren't resetting to 0. One thing to try is to let the chrono run for more than a full cycle (different time depending on what hand you're trying to reset). After that, stop the chrono and reset. Many times this does the trick. If not, your AD should be able to help getting someone to align it for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:00 pm 

the center minute hand and the minute hand in the 9 subdial both reset to 1. Does this suggest anything?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:30 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Start the chrono and let it run until the subdial bit (hand) is more than half way around the subdial. If you're also concerned about the sweep seconds hand, stop the chrono when it is also more than half way around the dial. Reset the chrono and see if the subdial bit and the sweep hand reset to the same position as they did when you only let the chrono run for a few minutes. If they reset to a different position, it's time for service. If they always reset to the same point, a local watchmaker should be able to align the hands. Although, I'm always a little suspicious when indicators suddenly change positions. If it were mine I would service it.

Super Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:04 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Again thanks for all your help guys, i can only see it is off under a loop otherwise you don't really notice it that much, i'll wait for my service

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Have you thought it might just "appear" off because of your eye dominance? When I cover my right eye and look only with the left the second hand also looks off a bit towards the one second mark. When I cover my left eye and look only with my right the second hand is dead on 12 o'clock.

Try it out and let us know if this changes anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:18 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
javasko wrote:
Have you thought it might just "appear" off because of your eye dominance? When I cover my right eye and look only with the left the second hand also looks off a bit towards the one second mark. When I cover my left eye and look only with my right the second hand is dead on 12 o'clock.

Try it out and let us know if this changes anything.

so true...lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:10 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I just recently received a gift of a Breitling Chrono-Matic 49. I noticed the chronometer second hand was off by 2 seconds, that didn't bother me. However, only having the watch for about a week the chonomatic second hand is now off by 10 seconds. I've tested the watch numerous times, and it always resets to 10 seconds. I've tested minute hand and it always resets perfectly.

This is my first Breitling and I have no clue what to do. Should I take it in for service? and How much would this service typically cost?

Thx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:15 pm 

KurtT wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just recently received a gift of a Breitling Chrono-Matic 49. I noticed the chronometer second hand was off by 2 seconds, that didn't bother me. However, only having the watch for about a week the chonomatic second hand is now off by 10 seconds. I've tested the watch numerous times, and it always resets to 10 seconds. I've tested minute hand and it always resets perfectly.

This is my first Breitling and I have no clue what to do. Should I take it in for service? and How much would this service typically cost?

Thx

If it's in warranty then it will only cost patience while you wait for Breitling to fix it. My experience with Breitling service and the Skyracer mentioned in this thread was very good.