Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Corum fanboys?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
I got to ask....are there any Corum fans on the site? Since the price point between Breitling and Corum are very close I thought this question would make sense. Personally I feel that both brands appeal to the same demograph. JMO

Post subject: Re: Corum fanboys?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
In lots of ways I agree that Corum certainly should appeal to Breitling lovers as Corum's sports-orientated models share quite a lot in common with Breitling - big, shiny, manly and rugged.

The main issue, I think is simply one of company size. Corum (despite being part of the LVMH group I think) is a much smaller company that Breitling.

I'm not sure what their coverage is like where you are, but I think part of the problem (certainly where I live) is that they simply don't have the same coverage of AD's or advertising, and hence just don't enter the mind of Joe Public. Most non-WIS types may do a bit of research on the net and will just go into town and check out a few pieces at a local jewellers. Invariably (certainly around here) that means an almost endless bombardment on the high street of Omega, TAG, Rolex and Longines, and to a slightly less extent Breitling. Other brands are stocked at very few places. For example I only know of one AD in about a 50 mile radius who stocks Corum, and even there they are not marketed with any enormous prominence.

I'm sure that if Corum threw money at advertising, maybe got themselves a bit of movie product placement (like Bond and the Omega SMP), and built up their AD network, they would gain a much larger fan-base.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
To me Corum is just an odd company. They seem to not know the direction they want to take with their product. They used to make all these crazy bubble watches, then all of a sudden that Corum bridge watch is like complete 180degrees the other way. Then throw in the mix a very narrow market piece like the coin watches. I personally like the coin watches but would never throw down that kind of cash for one. I have a feeling that a lot of others feel like this also. I also think that the Corums with all the world flags on them marketed towards soccer fans have a very narrow market (at least in the USA, bc soccer is not big here at all like the rest of the world). I think they struggle with finding a mainstream design that they can build a line-up on. Just my 2cents.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I don't know whether it is because of capacity (wanting to restrict demand to ensure supply), or just a unique vision, but I think that Corum lacks a watch with mainstream appeal. All of their pieces are very definitely in their niche - the Admirals Cup watches are a nice design, but with the naval flags a lot of people will be put off. The Golden Bridge and Coin watches as GZGym1 noted are also niche.

I am personally a fan of the Romulus, but value for money certainly holds them back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Agreed Roff. I have looked at them also and thought the same.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Some good points made here that I didn't really think about when I first read this thread - like Corum's lack of a consistent direction. I was immediately thinking about the Admiral's Cup series, which I personally find to be quite comparable in style to, say, an SA. But I agree they have a very "diverse" range.

Just check this page out - http://www.jomashop.com/corum.html

If you didn't see the name you'd never know they were all made by the same company! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
all good points guys. to be honest i am only a fan of the admirals cup series. i guess the fact that i have a admirals cup 44 says it all.

my understanding about the bubble series is that the designer helped to revamp the company when they were released. i have never really been a fan of bubble but it does appeal to a younger audience and i dont think that any one can deny that its funky.

their Ad coverage is horrible where i live. From my understanding there is only on Ad in all of BC that sells the brand and their selection of the brand was pathetic 6-7 pieces in total last time i was in the showroom.

they are definately a brand that i will continue to watch and if something comes up i might buy another.